Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Winter and Summer Camps

During my years in the Imperials the corps always had a winter and spring camp. Usually went to a location in northern Illinois or southern Wisconsin and were there over a weekend. The winter camp usually only included the brass and drum sections and the focus was on music. The spring camp was focused on the entire show.

I'm not sure as to when this started or how long the corps continued to do this after I left the corps before the 1967 season. Also there were some interesting extracurricular activities that occurred during these camps--like Will Koenig and Larry Nelson riding in the trunk of Roman Blenski's convertible after an evening at a Go-Cart track in southeastern Wisconsin.

Re: Winter and Summer Camps

I remember having some winter and spring camps in MUKWONAGO, Wisconsin, (just north of Lake Geneva) in the early and mid-1960s. These were usually held at the “Heaven City Hotel” just outside of town. This was a decidedly rural approach to a hotel, but they provided food and low rates. Yes, the drill field WAS on a hill … you marched downhill, but it wasn‘t too bad. The field was “sort of” smooth.

After Spring camps, we usually performed a show for the local residents at their town park.

I remember having a Corps camp at a YMCA Camp later (1970?) maybe at Camp Hastings, in Volo, IL. Some alums might remember this.

But, most of the time, it seems we did not do out of town “camps”. Rather, we just had long weekend practices locally. I remember having ALL DAY (and even two day) practices at Bell and Howell’s employee activity center at Touhy & McCormick in Skokie. This was a fine field, with a small building including restrooms. There were NO homes nearby, so we could practice with NO complaints! This was also in the early to mid-1960s.

Later, I remember doing almost the same thing at the Sargent Welch parking lot in Skokie, just off Touhy at the Expressway.

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

From 1962 through early 1967 I recollect the following

Winter Camp 1962 (a "resort") in south eastern WS (practice at a school). Was maybe the worst location we had for a camp.

Spring Camp 1962 and Spring and Winter 1963 through 1964 "Heaven City Motel"

Winter 1965 through 1967 at Hastings Camp

Spring 1965 and 1966 a camp near Mundelin (one of the DVDs Len Szulc put together shows this location for those years).

What I do recollect about the camps in 1965 and later is we had a number of members who were away at college (Wisconsin, Iowa, etc.) and these camps were an opportunity for them to get up caught up.

I only remember one camp from the 1972 and 73 seasons, in the spring, and they were both away, although I don't remember where either one was. In 1971 the corps was in Romeoville, which started the influx of people from that area. Those spring camps usually included initiations. Don't remember doing camps - or initiations - in 78 or 79. I think most corps had gotten rid of those rites by then (except the Cavaliers, which continue, but NOTHING like the old days, or they would be sued and/or not be able to field a corps).

And we were still at Sergeant Welch in 72 and 73 also.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

I know that a camp was held at a YMCA camp near Fox Lake either 1970 or 1971. It was Camp Duncan, and is still there off of Route 12. I had heard some horror stories, but as I was not there, I'm not sure. In 1972 was my initiation. I think the camp was at a High School in Kewanee. Tom Kass had to drive me home on Saturday night, since I was being confirmed on Sunday morning. I had so much vasoline in my hair, it looked like a greaser from the 60's.

Dave,

What happened to the spell check? And can we get it back.

Talking about those winter and spring camps brings
back memories,Mukwonago--Volvo--and Bell&Howell.
I always looked forward to those weekend camps,both
winter and the spring camp,to start working on the
new music and the spring camp where we did both
music and drill.It was not only fun but a lot of
intense work.

I remember the Volvo camp,but I'm not sure how many
times we went there.

Bell&Howel had a good practice facility.What I
remeber most about those practices,they were all
day and sometimes grueling,and it seemed that the
days that we spent there it was always very warm.
But we always got a lot accomplished.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963

I don't remember going through an initiation in 1962 and don't remember anything occurring at winter or spring camp until 1966. I think that may have been the result of a lot of kids joining from other corps. Evidently it became a tradition after 1966.

Donna,

I was also initiated in 72, and Kewannee sounds right.

Speaking of initiations - was it common occurence to be initiated before your first season of marching? I know that's how Norwood did it, and most others that I've heard of. But in the Cavaliers, we were initiated AFTER the first season. What do you remember other corps doing?

John - I think that camp near Mundelein was actually in Libertyville off of Riverwoods Road near Rt 120. Believe it was St. Francis Camp for Boys. Multi-million dollar homes now adorn the site. Still a stable accross the road.

What did you do in the Corps? drum

What years were you a Corps member? 61-69

John,

The location I recollect in 1966 was along the road (Diamond Lake Road?) that runs south of Diamond Lake which is the Mundelin area or might even be called Diamond Lake.

The road is the one that my dad and I used to take to go to Countryside Golf Course (which is now a Lake County facility).

Further comment on locations in 1965 and 1966. In the spring of 1965 we were at a YMCA camp--could have been Hastings or maybe the previously mentioned camp Duncan. 1966 was the one near Diamond Lake (we weren't on a Lake). Anyway after 1964 the spring and winter camps were in Lake County.

Interesting comments so far.

John you may be right about Diamond Lake Road - but there are no camps there - maybe long since gone. I live within walking distance and all of the homes are pretty old - except for some new condos. If it was on Diamond Lake Rd - that's were it would have to be. There was a day camp on Rt. 45 - as it runs east toward Milwaukee Ave (RT. 21).

What did you do in the Corps? drum

What years were you a Corps member? 61-69

My wife and I lived in Mundelien area in 1978-79. The camp was a bit northwest of Diamond Lake. Anyway it's all subdivisions now. About five years ago we drove through Mundelin and had a hard time getting to our old house as they'd changed the roads.

In 1980, we had a spring camp at Wheaton college.

In 1981, I remember having a camp at Great Lakes naval base (indoor). I'm not sure the proper term, but it was an indoor drill hall (Giant Quonset hut) It was huge. We could our whole show inside there.

We also had several camps in Mount Propect.

In 1982 and 1983, most of our camps were at Einstein School in Mt Prospect. All of our regular practices were there too. Einstein was an abandoned / closed down grade, that Mt. Prospect let us use. We had to bus down to Des Plaines Jr. high to take showers. Lots of great stories from adventures at Einstein School.

What did you do in the Corps? Cymbals, Bass Drum, Tenor

What years were you a Corps member? 1980-1983

In 1976,77 and maybe 78 we had camps in the Bradley/Bourbonais area. Our M&M/drill instructor John Billadeau (?) was a police officer in one of these communities and made arrangements for facilities for us. I don't remember much from the camps except that the room that the guys slept in was small and cramped while the girls had a relatively luxurious lifestyle in their quarters.

John helped the corps quite a bit during that era. During the tumultous winter prior to the 1976 season we at one point had a corps which was for the most part members of the Cadets the year before. John managed to bring in 10-12 guys from Bradley/Bourbonais High which made a huge difference.

As far as initiations, I was never initiated into the corps, but I do remember us having one prior to or during the 1978 or 1979 (or maybe 1981?) summer. We had it in the parking lot at Prospect High School. Nothing really tragic, just a little messy and embarrassing for those involved.

What did you do in the Corps? Soprano

Jim,

I don't remember anything about initiations - or going to Bradley - in 78 or 79. There were still members from the Bradley area, though, at that time.

Since you don't remember it Bob I guess it would have been 1981. That would make sense since I clearly remember it being at the parking lot of Prospect High and the corps was based out of Mt. Prospect in 1981. Dave Morrison, who was our horn instructor in 1978 and was also (and still is I believe) the band director at Prospect drove up to us to see what was going on. We had a bunch of kids blindfolded doing who knows what.

What years were you a Corps member? 1974-1981

I just want to correct an error on a name I gave on a previous post. Our M&M instructor in the late 70s was Tom Billadeau, not John. I have no idea where I got John from. Tom was certainly an unforgettable guy.

What years were you a Corps member? 1974-1981

I joined at the end of the 1972 season and heard the stories about initiation. My sisters (Carol & Joan) and I were initiated during the spring of 1973 at the Kewanee HS (Boilermakers) camp. I have print photos of that event but they probably should remain tucked away forever. I recall vasoline on hair, being tied at the wrist to my initiate partner, eating "square" meals at the "LUMS" restaraunt, and the culminating mess in the locker room.

I also recall one camp at a school in northern Illinois (perhaps 1974) where a roman candle was lit in the gymnasium while we were all 'supposed' to be asleep - girls were on the stage and boys were on the gym floor. No one would confess.

What did you do in the Corps? Fr. Horn, Xylophone, Flag

What years were you a Corps member? 1972 - 1977

LUMS? Haven't heard THAT name in a LONG time!