Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MULTI-GENERATION CORPS FAMILIES

I was speaking recently with my NJ friend who is a Holy Name Cadet alum. He mentioned that the Cadets have a number of families where 3 or 4 generations of the family have been Cadets. Great-grandfather, grandfather, father and now son. Several include many uncles, aunts, brothers and sisters too.

Of course, the Cadets are now approaching their 75th anniversary, so there are a lot of Cadet families in their history.

The Imperials and Imperial Cadets have had a lot of families involved, but I can't think of any families with such a multi-generation MEMBER involvement.
Does anyone have any examples?

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Re: MULTI-GENERATION CORPS FAMILIES

I have to say the Grana's were a multi generation family. My parents were involved, all 5 of their kids and Greg's kids (Gary and Glenn) marched with the Cadets. That's at least 2 generations and 3 if you include parents.

My Dad's brothers kids (Rene and Marie) marched. Their cousin (Diane) marched also.

What did you do in the Corps? baritone

What years were you a Corps member? Cadets 62, 63 Imperials 64-70

Well, the Grana family was ALWAYS involved. But, that is still only TWO generations that were MEMBERS of the Corps.

Don't know if Norwood existed long enough to have more than two generations.

I think that John is probably correct, since the corps stopped after "only" 57 years, we probably wouldn't have a great likelihood of "multi-generations" as MEMBERS.

Still it is an interesting thought ... to march in the same corps that your grandfather (or even great grandfather! ) did.

Makes you wonder if Norwood was still here,what
family members might be a part of it.Just a
thought.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963

I believe at least one of my daughters would have marched with Norwood. She loves drum corps.....especially Phantom Regiment. Marched in the high school band and played in the orchestra also was an all-state musician. We go to a couple of drum corps shows a year together. And she is dating a former member of the Caviliers!

Be careful, Tom. Talk like that doesn't make friends out here! I know...

I'm sure if the corps was still around, there would still be Granas and Gills in the mix.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Bob, do you mean talking about the Cavies or liking current drum corps? Not that either one bothers me.

When my kids were young we took them to the Blue Devils shows and especially their "family night"--their C-corps at that time was like the Cadets--8 years old to about 12.

My daughter liked it but my wife got her interested in horses and my son started playing baseball at 5. So our possibility for becoming a "second generation" (mixed) corps family never got off the ground. They both ended up having the same kind of experience in their activities that I had in Norwood and are still engaged as coaches.

By the time my son was ready to try drum corps, the Imperials were gone. He did march in the Cavalier Cadets for a few years.

My nephew Colin (Bruce's son) was also too late for the Imperials. He marched in the Phantom Regiment (Cadets and Regiment).

No chances for third or fourth generation Imperials
members for us!

Dave,

I can't believe you've been hiding that secret from me all this time! A Borck in the Green? I'm surprised you didn't disown him...

When did he march?

And Tom, I meant mentioning the Cavaliers.

Bob, it wasn't a secret, lots of people knew this! He marched in the "Little Green" in the early 1980s, 1982-84 I think. It was a fun corps.

What years were you a Corps member? 1958- 1963

Dave,

Yes, it was a fun group, and that was right around the time that lots of kids were going up to basically save the big corps (like Norwood had done several times), especially the color guard. That group of Cadets, along with instructor Steve Brubaker, would win three straight WGI titles and start the corps on the road back. But I don't think the Cadet corps lasted much after those years.