Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
'65 Exhibition

I have a question for everyone and I'm looking for
the answer.I have a CD that I got from Digital
Audio Resources,a company just outside Atlanta,
Georgia who sells Drum Corps recordings,they have
a big selection to choose from to.Well anyway this
exhibition had to be recorded in the beginning of
'65,and I also think it was held at the Civic Opera
House right here in Chicago.

I just have this one Cd.The Corps that were there,
Cavaliers,St.Kevins,Royal Airs,Racine Kilties and
Scouts,and the Toronto Optimists.

Does anyone remember this?What I want to know is,was
there any other Corps there besides who I mentioned?

This was the only CD they had on there list from
the time this show was put on.It most likely was
done in the beginning of year,because you could
tell by the music that the Cavaliers and Royal
Airs played,because some of it,they didn't use
during the summer.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963

Re: '65 Exhibition

Rich,

If the Royal Airs are playing "Don't Rain on My Parade" it is from 1965. They dropped that from their show just prior to the season. I think it had a number of tempo changes that made things complicated and increased their exposure. They played it at a standstill we sponsored in April 1965 and I thought it was great. Dropping that song may have won them all their National Championships in 1965.

As I recollect we didn't compete in standstills in 1965 and made our debut (new horns and different arrangements-sound) in exhibition at our standstill noted above.

I only recollect playing at the Opera House once and that was in the spring of 1967 which ended up being my last show.

I recall doing an exhibition (standstill) at Notre Dame high school in Niles......I thought it was in the spring of '65

Tom,

That was our standstill contest--Notre Dame Spring 1965.

Rich, I've got your answer right here in my record collection - the ORIGINAL recordings of the entire show.

It was titled Symphony in Brass, sponsored by Drum Corps World, recorded live at the Civic Opera House in Chicago on Feb 27, 1965.

Volume 1 of the set contains Hawthorne Caballeros, Kenosha Kingsmen, Toronto Optimists and Racine Scouts.

Volume 2 has St Kevin Emerald Knights, Cavaliers, Royal Airs and Racine Kilties.

I was at this show, in the balcony with binoculars, and I'll never forget watching the Cabs sticking their drum solo and nearly jumping from my seat when the horns blasted their next piece.

I recollect that Norwood did not participate because we didn't want to reveal the new horns and music before the first field contest.

Every once in a while something gets posted here that makes me shiver.

Rich, thanks for the memories.

What did you do in the Corps? Drumline

What years were you a Corps member? 1960-1965

no WONDER I have hearing problems! Going to events like that did hearing damage. Then, teaching and judging drum lines didn't help!

I believe that people are smarter now and use some of the excellent concert hearing protection devices available.

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958- 1963

Larry,

You are correct about not wanting to "show ourselves" to early in 1965 with the new sound. We didn't appear in a standstill until our exhibition at the standstill we sponsored just prior to the start of the season. But I also believe we may not have been invited based on our "ranking" the previous year--1964. The Vanguard wasn't in the show either.

Yes John, I'd say your recollection is more accurate.

We weren't invited, so we rationalized with sneaky suggestions of the new Imperials having secrets that caused the others to cringe with anticipation. :)

On the plus side, it was an opportunity to sit and watch some of the best corps from the front, rather than from the rear bleachers or the end zones.

If Roger Clemens can misremember, so can I.

What did you do in the Corps? Drumline

What years were you a Corps member? 1960-1965

There was something to be said for sitting out the standstills in 1965 with everything but the uniforms being new. The Vanguard could probably say the same thing. They also had a very different and improved corps that year.

Larry I know what you mean,I've seen a few postings
myself that gave me that same feeling you had.It's
nice when your reminded of those times.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963