Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lots of new pictures on the Photo Gallery

A number of alums have sent in great new photos.

Some from the 1940s and 50s ... and a bunch of new Cadet pics too.

Check it out.

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Re: Lots of new pictures on the Photo Gallery

I was looking thru the photo album at some of the
new pic's that were added and I noticed in the
people section of the album the photo with the
3 girls in gown's and the 3 guy's in uniforms,one
is my sister Jerry,she's the one standing and my
brother Roger,he's the one standing on the right.

This was taken at the Military Ball that they used
to have for all the Drum Corps during that time.

My sister and a few of the other girls in Norwood
came up with the idea to do this.I'm not sure how
many years this took place.

When I was just a kid,I remember seeing both my
sister in her gown and my brother in his uniform
getting ready to leave the house for the "Ball".
"WOW",that was a long,long time ago.

If you haven't seen the photo, take a look.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963

According to some very old drum corps papers of the time (which I salvaged from the Skokie AL Post and I think Dave Borck has now), the military balls were quite the big shindig in those days.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

What else do you have from the Skokie Post? I remember buying the uniforms and shakos. After everything was gone, I found at home the Springfield rifle we use to practice with. Arm strenghening. Lois Lindgust was as master. Thanks to that training the athertis is just wonderful.

My Dad used to say that Lois could spin a side of beef...

I found DECADES of old magazines (from the 40s onward), plus crown flags and other stuff in there - one of the benefits of having my Dad be the Quartermaster. I still have most of the magazines, although I donated the ones concerning Norwood to Dave Borck for the reunion a few years back. The rest of the stuff disappeared through several floods at Dad's house in Joliet through the years.

The rest of the photos sent to me by Donna Larsen Gatlin have been added to the 1970s and Imperial Cadets photo albums. I won't claim to have posted all photos sent to me, but I don't have any sitting around, either. If you think something is missing, please let me know and I'll try to find it among my vast files.

What did you do in the Corps? Drumline

What years were you a Corps member? 1960-1965

Larry,

Thank you SO MUCH for handling this responsiblity - in your spare time! As you may have noticed on the forum, we continue to be joined by more members from the 70s and later, so posting these pictures helps to keep them coming back and feeling included!

Bob

Bob, the pleasure is mine, but thanks for your comment.

Every one of us have talents and capabilities that contribute to the functioning of this web site, the photo gallery, and forum. Dave Borck and I established them precisely to promote a renewal of the camaraderie that we all shared when Norwood was alive. In many ways, I think we have brought Norwood back to life, but at the very least, our vision and purpose has been fulfilled beyond expectation.

We have you great alumni to thank for keeping the site going while improving the quality of its content. I try to do my part through maintaining the web site, editing and posting photos, and monitoring the forum.

Dave has been key to keeping the forum active and positive. Other alumni have contributed important thoughts, commentary, and even some general gibberish. Some wonderful photos, too! This is still a growing work in progress, but it is necessary for me to work for a living, maintain a household, and play with two granddaughters occasionally. So, some things slip and others have to wait until I clear away the collection things that cover my desks.

Just for example, I have today discovered ANOTHER CD with photos sent by Donna Larsen, which include the opening of the Imperial exhibit at the Norwood Park Historical Society. I had forgotten that she sent it and I now have to find some time to post that stuff, which I will do in due course.

It's just another item on the stack. Sometimes I wonder what it is that makes me want to keep it going. Then along comes a comment like Bill Schaefer just posted this morning about a parade he remembers in Janesville, Wisconsin over 50 years ago (see "Best and Worst Parades" topic). I remember similarly, and also remember the joy of doing what we did when Norwood was alive. At this stage of our lives, and with the world as it is today, those memories are important.

That's why we're all here, doing this for each other. I wish more of the alumni were part of this experience.

Last month we passed the fifth anniversary of this web site. Thanks to all of you for making it a success.

What did you do in the Corps? Drumline

What years were you a Corps member? 1960-1965

Thanks Larry, it has been a great ride so far!

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63