Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Listen to drum corps all winter long?

Hi Ya'll! Am I the only one who listens to drum corps (with the volume at max), as I drive my car, from place to place, all winter long? Maybe I'm abnormal! Bill

Re: Listen to drum corps all winter long?

I listen to 65, 66 and 70 Norwood once in a while. The CD that was put together is great. Also listen to musicals......Jersey Boys, Le Mis, Mama Mia and the like.

What did you do in the Corps? baritone

What years were you a Corps member? Cadets 62, 63 Imperials 64-70

Bill, if you listen to corps CDs at MAX volume, you will end up like me ... hearing loss!

BTW .. we already KNOW that you are abnormal!

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

I already am fairly hard of hearing. Most of the damage occurred while in row 3 of an Ozzy Osbourne concert, with one of my sons and his buddies, when they were teens. Nobody would take them, so I did. I have hearing aids, however, they are on the fritz more often than not. Expensive items, in the first place, and expensive to repair/clean/etc. They're the worst product I have ever bought. I don't know a soul who is happy with their hearing aides, Dave. So, you can see why I crank up the volume. Inge Otto (Swanson) says hi, Dave. She says I'm abnormal too. But, then, she says the same about you.

Nothing says drum corps like standing in a gym having Spirit's horn line blowing right in your face in 1980! Winter rehearsals were KILLERS! Luckily, because Georgia's weather is almost as good as Florida's, we were able to get outside a good bit more than the Northern corps could. I can't imagine ensemble rehearsal with Madison's horn line in those days, where the winters were much longer and the line actually LOUDER than Spirit's. At least Fetty was lucky enough to be on the OTHER end of the horn from the drummers, unlike me.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Effect YOUR hearing any, Bob?

Bob, it doesn't matter which end of the horn you are on, especially in an indoor venue. And drums and CYMBALS are just as bad for your ears.

Fortunately, there are very good musicians ear plugs available now (they cost about $15 a pair). Most professional musicians use them. The ear plugs cut down the decibel level substantially, yet allow the music to be heard properly. I have a pair which I use at concerts, etc. I wish that I had started using them 30 or 40 years ago!

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Back to the topic: Anybody listen to drum corps recordings during the winter, March, April...? At home? In your car? Where else?

Blow your car horn at me... you'd better have a pretty darn loud horn... compared to the ones inside my car!

I have most of my collection (drum corps and popular music) on my iPOD. I also have a playlist with some individual songs extracted from the full recordings (don't have to listen to drum solos or tunes I don't like (Whiffenpoof Song)). Those drum corps "singles" are the one's that I tend to listen to the most. It's sort of like "create your own show".

I can play the iPOD through my car stereo system on the rare occasion that I drive a on a long trip but I usually just listen to the recordings on airplanes--long coast to coast or overseas flights. I listen to the music using Bose headphones. Don't have to have the volume too high because the headphones cancel external noise.