Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Small World

Two weeks ago I was in New Orleans for a Conference and some American Society of Civil Engineers Committee Meetings. One night about ten of us went to dinner and during the course of conversation one of my collegues, Stan Caldwell, mentioned the Madison Scouts.

I immediately asked him if he had marched in the Scouts and what years. He was in their junior unit from 1959 through 1961 and the Scouts from 1962 through 1965. I then asked him if he remembered VFW Nationals in 1962 and told him I saw him perform. I said I watched Madison from the starting line as Norwood was lined up on to go on after the Scouts.

Stan and I then went back and forth with a bunch of memories. We concluded that in those four seasons we'd both been in the same contests probably about 20 times. Both of us left our corps before aging out because of the demands of college and both of us ended up in similar career paths.

I've been dealing with Stan for about four years on boards and committees and we have a lot of people in common in our profession but we now have another connection through similar experience in drum and bugle corps. We both explained to the others a dinner that the experience was like a fraternity and we both of us still keep in contact with friends from those years.

Stan lives in Dallas and has seen a few Texas DCI shows. He likes the Blue Devils and thought the Phantom Regiment and Cavaliers were great musicians but didn't have a clue as to what they were playing--similar opinion to a lot of us.

I told him I had some recordings for Madison in 1962 and 1965 that I'd send to him. He said that he was the soprano in 1965 Nationals who messed up the solo in "You'll Never Walk Alone."

Wonder if any of the rest of the alums have had similar experiences.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone--Cadets 1959 through 1961 Imperials 1962 through 1966

Re: Small World

I was attending St. George High School in 1965. I was in the chorus but had a conflict with a corps event....might have been winter camp or something. I told the teacher I could not make the concert.....he said you better have a good excuse so I told him about the issue. He laughed and said he understood since he had been in the Cavies.....quite a relief. He also attended a show early that season in Geneva.....a show we won! Yes, small world.

What did you do in the Corps? baritone

What years were you a Corps member? Cadets 62, 63 Imperials 64-70

Re: Small World

I have, on occasion, met other former corps members at stores or while traveling. Usually spot them because of a jacket or shirt being worn. Sometimes a comment during discussion. It is always interesting to share stories.

But, how many people actually end up working with a corps person, especially another NP alum?

My good friend and former drum line partner, Bill Strauts, was working for a local firm (Temple Steel) as an architect. Their staff took a tour of our new HQ facility at Grainger, in 1981 I believe. I told Bill later that our Real Estate dept had an opening for a person with his backgropund. He applied as was hired shortly after!

So, we spent 14 years working together .. worked on many office projects together .. until his sudden death in 1995.

We had a lot of fun though .. lots of stories and jokes.

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63