Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"Wild Bill" Hooten

As we have seen an another thread, Bill Hooten was the legendary drum major of the famous senior corps - the Reilly Raiders (from Philadelphia).

Reilly was a corps with an IRISH theme and they really did it to the hilt! They were also another corps with a really tough side .. don't mess with them.

Bill Hooten may have been their ONLY DM, having been with them when they started in 1946 until the finish in 1960. They were really an incredible drum corps.

When the corps folded, Bill Hooten did DM chores (and some design work) for some other senior corps.

Our own Rick Mass knew him well .. they were both highly respected professionals in the field of Quality Control engineering! Rick also knew Bill from the Raiders.

Not at all sure why he was called "Wild Bill"!

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Re: "Wild Bill" Hooten

Being from Reilly, you probably don't WANT to know...

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

I have a recording of Reilly from 1958,it's on a
cassette and let me tel you,they sound just great.
I'm not sure where it was recorded,it could have
been VFW National's.What a horn line.

I also found out after looking at there web-site,
when Archer Epler Musketeers broke up they joined
forces with Reilly and than they changed the name
to the Reilly Raider Musketeers.

I forgot to mention that I had the opportunity to
see Reilly in 1956 at Bellfontaine,Ohio.They held
a OPEN CONTEST for senoir and junoir corps,it was
one of a kind.That's where the Cavaliers took 3rd
behind the Skokie Indians and Reilly.
Reilly won that one.I think that was the first and
only time I see them.The Cavaliers were the only
Jr.Corps there.I think there were 6 or 7 senoirs
in that contest.

My brother Ron and I drove there with my oldest
brother and his wife,left real early in the morning
to get there so my brother Roger to set up his
recording equipment,he had permission to record the
contest.He used a reel to reel recorder.I think he
still has the tape from it.

open

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963

I remember seeing the Reilly Raiders at VFW New York in 1958. They were totally amazing! Great horn line and drum line too.

Of course, with their name and GREEN uniforms, they had an Irish theme. Their music was great: Irish Washerwoman, Kerry Dancers and the like. They even danced an Irish Jig!

What years were you a Corps member? 1958- 1963

I think he was later the DM for the Skyliners.

What did you do in the Corps? Drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958 - 1962 "B" Corps; 1963 - 1967 "A" Corps

I went to the corpsreps site and check out the Reilly Raiders. In the picture section there is a photo of "Wild Bill." In his drum major uniform he doesn't look like someone named "Wild Bill." He looks a bit like Eddie Reimer our brass instructor in the late 1950s and early 1960s. I also believe Eddie was the drum major of the Skokie Indians when they won their national championship.

I got curious and did an internet search and came up with the following from a Drum Corps World Article. "Wild Bill was also an innovator and a man ahead of his time. As a drum major, he dared to be different by coming on to the field at different times with various gimmicks such as entering the stadium on a white horse. Another time he was on a motorcycle and once even being lowered to the field by a helicopter."

So "Wild Bill" sounds like he would fit right in with the Leland Stanford Junior University Marching Band. Although I don't think even they have had someone lowered to the field by helicopter.

In looking at the pictures I noted one parade from 1952. The Reilly Raiders uniforms reminded me of a Nazi Marching band. The black and white pictures probably emphasized the look and their hats seem identical to the style worn by the World War II German Army.

In looking at the various postings it seems that "Wild Bill" left Reilly when they broke up, had a role with the Yankee Rebels and then the Skyliners.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone--Cadets 1959 through 1961 Imperials 1962 through 1966

Sounds like Bill Hooten was a real "free spirit" and a real attention getter!

As for the uniforms, trust me, they were GREEN! The hats were of a style common in those days with a high brim.

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

if you want to see more about the Reilly Raiders, go to this website .. includes a lot of great pictures and history

http://www.osmondpostcadets.com/Reilly.htm