Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY: HELP THE CADETS?

A good friend, who is a Garfield Cadet alum, told me that the Cadets alumni group is looking for volunteers to assist the corps as they travel during the summer. They will be in the greater Chicago area from June 25- 29.

The Cadets are a drum corps we have admired (and competed against) for many years. Some of us have made good friends among their members as well. They are good maroon friends! (In spite of the dislike some of us have for George Hopkins and his strange ideas!)

The Cadets were also very kind in adding a “tribute” to the Norwood Park Imperials on their alumni web site.

The corps will be in the Chicago area as noted:

1. June 25-26: practice, band clinic and laundry in Elkhart, Indiana (near South Bend)
2. June 27: contest in Racine
3. June 28: major DCI contest in Madison at Camp Randall stadium (20 corps)
4. June 29: contest in Naperville, IL (Cavaliers show).

Interested Imperials alums might want to consider giving the Cadets some help while they are here? (Basically, this is help for the corps members AND help for the traveling volunteer staff!) Some ideas for volunteer help include:

. help on the food truck.
. travel with the corps on tour for a day or two
. donating some special food or beverage treats for
the corps,
. be an area guide to assist in any way necessary.
. assist at information tables at competitions.
. help with uniforms.

Note: NP alum Bob Shreffler worked on the Cavaliers food truck for a while in the 1990s. Here are his comments: “I worked on the food truck and the corps made me feel very welcome and appreciated. I'm sure the Cadets would do the same. It was a great way for me to see exactly what "modern" drum corps is all about!

Or, just stop in to say hello and offer congratulations and support.

Christen Juel is the person to contact. Christen is their alumni-volunteer coordinator. (She is also a recent Cadet graduate). Contact info:

christen@yea.org, 610-821-0345 X24.
Also see the Cadets website: www.yea.org (you can even "sign up" as a volunteer via a page on their website .. see the "schedule" segment)

The Cadets will also be in OTHER areas of the country during the summer .. and Imperials alums might want to help at some other sites too. Such as: Orlando, FL July 13); Ypsilanti (June 22) and Belding (June 24), Michigan; Houston (July 18) and San Antonio (July 20), Texas.

Best idea: just contact Christen and ask where the corps will be. Tell her what help you might be able to give. If you do volunteer, I’m sure that you will make a lot of new friends.

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63