Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The folding of other drum corps

There is a topic on our website about the (sad) folding of the Imperials.

But, we could also discuss the folding of other corps.

A prime example is the Royal Airs, who folded in 1969 after a fairly good year in 1968. Most of the reason was financial, I think.

Similarly, The Blessed Sacrament corps, the Golden Knights, folded in 1971. They were to be one of the first member corps in DCI!

Of course, since then, there have been MANY corps which have folded. Some blame DCI. Others, changes in society or economic conditions.

Whatever the reason, the corps are gone.

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Re: The folding of other drum corps

The Royal Airs story I always heard (which I'm SURE is wrong, but has passed into legend) is that Sie Luyre owed so much money to the mob that the only way he could pay was to sell everything the corps had, therefore forcing them to fold.

I know they sold their uniforms to the Stardusters from Louisiana, who caused quite a stir when they toured the midwest in 1970 in those uniforms! In 1972 they became the Bleu Raeders and made DCI finals (mostly on the strength of Marty Hurley's drum line).

The standard procedure for many corps in the 70s was to merge with someone, which kept them going another year or two, before folding for good. Norwood kind of did that, absorbing the Iliana Lancers in 1978 and the Scarlet Knights in 1979.

The Des Plaines Vanguard were basically "drugged" into folding, after making the first DCI finals in 1972. So sad.

And sadly, most corps who fold aren't really noticed, because competitively they passed their best years long before finally ending the official operation.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Bob is right about not noticing when a lot of corps fold. Most corps don't fold in their prime, unless for unusual reasons. Some of these were: Royal Airs, Blessed Sacrament, St. Vincents.

The majority slide down in competitive performance and "slowly disappear".

Bob..... Sie Lurye owned 7-8 parking lots in downtown Chicago when he organized the Royal Airs for inner city youth. The Royals needed to win their last Nationals to stay afloat financially. They came in 2nd and Sie was left with one parking lot left. No mob involvement......he had the bucks and the dream.

To add to Ralph J. I believe the reason Sie ended up with one parking lot was due to urban renewal during 1967 and 1968. Most of the parking lots Sie operated were on property that was vacant in the southwest loop area and immediately west of the river (between Union and Northwestern Railroad stations). The property owners sold the land to developers and Sie was impacted financially so he had to deal with his business after 1968.

I believe one of the lots was on the block where Sears Tower now stands.

I don't remember anyone ever commenting about Sie being connected to the mob--sounds like a Cavalier myth. The Royal Airs were Sie Lurie's baby and I'm sure it was very difficult for him to fold things up after 1968.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone--Cadets 1959 through 1961 Imperials 1962 through 1966

John is right about Sie Lurye. He was a man who absolutely LOVED his corps. He ran parking lots for a living, but I suspect that his livelihood changed when urban renewal and skyrocketing land values did him in!

He wasn't a "polished" person ... but was a really great guy. No pretense with him .. what you saw was what he was!

Speaking of OTHER corps which folded:

Here are some others which seemed to disappear rather suddenly:

St. Joes from upper New York
Suncoast Sound, from Tampa
Argonne Rebels
St. Kevins, Boston

Of course, we all saw the Des Plaines Vanguard and Kilts go away.

David.....Sie had heart beyond education but was a good card player.