Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DCI moves site for 2008 championships

DCI was fooled by the construction people .. just like you and me! The new stadium in Indianapolis will not be completed in time for the DCI championships.

So they have moved the World Class shows to Indiana University in Bloomington, about 50 miles away. It is actually a great stadium .. and open air!

The "Open Class" stuff had already been scheduled for Michigan City. Wonder why?

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Re: DCI moves site for 2008 championships

And maybe the Colts (football) were upset that they were not going to be the first event at the new stadium!
Also, if anyone is going to the show, book a room quick as there are not as many available as in Indy.

What did you do in the Corps? baritone

What years were you a Corps member? Cadets 62, 63 Imperials 64-70

Unless there were some pretty good and very specific damage clauses attached to that contract it doesn't suprise me that the stadium won't be finished.

There is usually an escape that a clever contractor can use to avoid the damages. A lot of these projects have clauses where changes to the spec's/plans will result in an extension to the due date. Unless the papers say why, we'll never know.

What did you do in the Corps? drum

What years were you a Corps member? 61-69

so much for trying to have the honor (?) of being the first group to use the new stadium!

probably would have been smarter to stay in the "old" Hoosier Dome!

Would have been smarter to do it in Madison, Orlando, Rose Bowl, etc.

What facility is in Michigan City? I recollect Ames Field but that was about like Maine East or West.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone--Cadets 1959 through 1961 Imperials 1962 through 1966

John, Ames Field has been redone and is much larger. DCI (Cavaliers) uses it for a show in July each year.

My recollection is that Michigan City is a bit of a drive from Bloomington. DCI management is probably still scrambling and will probably have a lot of added cost.

It will also be interesting to see how the corps end up financially this summer with the price of gas going up and diesel even higher. Recollect the Blue Devils took Amtrack to the midwest either last summer or the year before to save a part of their fuel bills. Might see a few go out of business.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone--Cadets 1959 through 1961 Imperials 1962 through 1966

Let's see that's $40 for your show ticket, plus $10 fuel surcharge, plus $25 relocation fee, plus the mandatory save the corps from bankrupty contribution of $15 and ...

Hopefully DCI doesn't catch on to all the charges that have been appearing in the real world...

What did you do in the Corps? drum

What years were you a Corps member? 61-69

John, Michigan City is 175 miles from Indianapolis. Not exactly "just around the corner!"

Not sure WHY they decided to have the Open Class stuff that far away? But then, I don't understand why DCI does anything!

Yes, the cost of fuel might have a "small" impact on DCI and their crazy tours. Maybe they will reduce the touring?

Dave, you just gave me a great idea for a youth activity. Local kids will join a grou and learn how to march, play drums and bugles, etc. They will compete with other youth groups on a local level. By only planning 1 or 2 major trips a year, the activity will be affordable. Can history repeat itself??? Maybe gas prices will help - but I doubt it.

John, what a dreamer you are!

But then, who knows?

Sounds like this is the year of "DCI in Indiana" .. not a city but a whole state!

But no hometown corps (or home state corps).

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79