Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment

Over on the Cavalier alumni website, there is a posting about the events that happened in 1928, the year Don Warren was born. I posted that they forgot the most important event - the founding of the Norwood Park Imperials! I'll get LOTS of great responsed from my former marching mates about that one!

It's fun being a "double agent." And loyal to both corps, always.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Re: 1928

Bob ..I think the start of the Imperials was AN important event in 1928 .. but not THE most important!

Dave, perception is reality. I'm with Bob.
If it were not for that event it is likely none of us would know one another. Since I'm not a history buff and this happened long before I was born - it gets my vote!

John, the WORLD may not care about the start of the Imperials, but you are right .. WE do!

There are a LOT of alums who would never have met without the corps .. and they STILL are friends years and years later.

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

I think 1928 was the year Hoover was elected President and the last "good" year before the stock market crash in 1929.

I remember celebrating our 50th anniversary in 1976.

...sounds to me like someone's math has gone awry.

Dr. Snyder raises an interesting point. When I was in the corps, I always thought Norwood was founded in 1926 too. But our website - designed by people more familiar with the history than I am - says 1928.

Anyone able to clear this up? I know in 1978 no mention was made of a 50th anniversary, and we were still competing at the time.

1926 or 1928? Well folks, read the history. Willie started teaching some boys in 1926 on an informal basis. The corps wasn't formed officially until 1928.

So, when did the corps start?

Interesting. I checked Jodeen Popp's book (and she's related to the Grana's, so she speaks with some authority), and it says 1926. Corpsreps.com says 1928, but I don't know where they get their information from.

So, do we want to be 80 or 82 this year? How to solve this dilemma?

Dr Jim your memory serves you well. The corp did celebrate the 50th anniversary in 1976. I marched with both the A-Corp and the B-Corp that year. The corp put together a Honor Guard that would do the opening ceremonies in honor of our anniversary. It was also the Year of the Round Robin in the Cadets. Mr. Dick Meachan was the B corp manager. I remember Katie Littlefield and I talking about want an honor it was to represent 50 years. It was also the bicentennial year. Dave I do remember you being a drum judge for I played snare drum that year. I believe? you were part of central states judging association. As a member of the 50th anniversary corp we can't change the fact that the corp did celebrate the 50th in 1976. THIS MEMORY WILL LIVE WITH US FOREVER. PROUD MEMBER THE 1976 IMPERIALS AND IMPERIAL CADETS.

What did you do in the Corps? guard

What years were you a Corps member? 1974-1980

Well, it appears to me that Willie was working with some local boys beginning in the summer of 1926. This grew over time and the Corps was actually formed, with parents group, in 1928.

So.. in a sense, BOTH dates are correct!

I'll have to ask Jack Bornhoeft and some others who were there!

Jack says it was 1928 ... he was quite young then.

Will do more checking.

Only Norwood could cause a controversy 80 (or 82) years later...

Yes, Bob, but it would have helped if anyone had bothered to keep some records!

All the evidence so far is pointing to 1928 as the year in which Willie Widmayer started teaching some neighborhood boys! That is at least the UNOFFICIAL start date of the Corps. The corps offically started when the parents started the Norwood Park Drum and Bugle Corps, which could have been 1929.

Note that both Jack Bornhoeft and Bud Trick have stated that the Corps marched at the Chicago World's Fair in BOTH 1933 and 1934! They were there!

Thanks a lot, Dave. Now we've added yet another year!

STOP IT!
your making me feel really old now.

What did you do in the Corps? Long time ago

You ARE really old now...

This is starting to sound too much like history. Did the American Revolution start with the Boston Tea Party in 1773, Concord and Lexington in 1775 or with the Declaration of Independence in 1776?

The scarier thing is that the last time most of us were on the field with Norwood is from 30 to 50 years ago. But then again at least we aren't old enough to remember 1926 or 1928 or whatever.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone--Cadets 1959 through 1961 Imperials 1962 through 1966

Not sure who came up with the 1926 date. When I interviewed Jack Bornhoeft 3 years ago, he told me it was 1928. And he was there.

All those Norwood people who celebrated the 50 year anniversary in 1976 were two years early!

BTW, while you and I weren't around in 1928, we still have a few of the original members with us. Jack Bornhoeft, Bud Trick, Bob Crow and Warren Webster come to mind.

It wasn't just the t-shirts and the press releases and the corps' profile in programs and being announced at every show and parade, it was the claims of being the oldest drum corps for the twelve years I marched with the Imperial organizations. We're not older than Racine Scouts or the Cadets. We're not even older than the drum corps I presently work with (founded in 1927). We've been deceived by another drum corps lie.

Must've been George Hopkins' fault.

...or the Cavalier's did it.

...or anything to do with modern drum corps is guilty.

JIM:

ACTUALLY, I THINK PEOPLE JUST DIDN'T KNOW.

BUT, IT IS STILL POSSIBLE THAT THE CAVALIERS DID IT!

And, I think the claim was that the Imperials were the oldest continuously operating junior corps in the country.

But, if they based that on 1926 .. they were probably wrong.

Here in 2008 .. who even knows?

Sounds to me like the word "continously" comes into play. I do recollect someone making that point when I was in the corps in the mid-60s. Have no idea how that came about but expect that some of those older corps might no have been active for a year or so. I do recollect that corps like the Racine Scouts seemed to have started around the time Norwood did. I recollect reading about some corps suspending operations during World War II and maybe during the depression in the early 30s.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone--Cadets 1959 through 1961 Imperials 1962 through 1966

I know the Racine Scouts temporarily merged with another corps for a while - maybe that's why the "continuously" was important. Would have to check on the Cadets.

Corpsreps.com shows the Cadets in 1934 and Brass, Inc. in 1946, so we have both of those.

Don't really see that Norwood's record is a big deal anymore. Seems to me the Cadets and probably Madison have been operating continuously for 75 years or so. Norwood's record was at best not quite 60 years.

NO, it isn't about the record. It is about when did it start.

And, it is now clear that it was 1928 when Willie started teaching the kids. That was the real start.

The corps was probably "officially" formed the following year.

YES BOB your right.
But, remember you are just as old.
I always try to forget how old I am.

What did you do in the Corps? Long time ago

I too recall all of the hoopla about the oldest corps and the 50th anniversary in 1976. What really caught me off guard on this string was Jim Snyder marching 'only' 12 years in the corps. Jim, didn't you start with the corps/cadets when you were about 7 and keep at it until you were 20?

What did you do in the Corps? Soprano

What years were you a Corps member? 1974-1981

I still have my 50th year sash when I march. I was in our cadet corp at the time. I bet if we had computers back in 76 we could have looked this up and waited two more years.

What did you do in the Corps? Drums

Vince

Vince,

Remember that pencil drawing you gave me of the kid on the chair with the bugle in his hand???? I still have it and it's framed on the wall. You were a good artist as a kid.

And you guys talking about being old.....well I taught a lot of you so imagine how old that makes me feel....

Regards,
Jerry

What did you do in the Corps? Brass Instructor, Corps Manager

Jerry,
I don't remember the picture but I did alot of drawings back then. If it is possible for you to take a picture of it and email it, I would love to see it. I have some of my other pictures and my kids don't beleive I drew them.

What did you do in the Corps? Drums

Jerry..

You feel old.. cuz you ARE old :)

j/k
How is life treating you??
Sheila

Yep Sheila, I am am getting up there. LOL

Things are going pretty well for me. Just retired from teaching after all of these years. Now I just make a trip to Chicago one a month and march or play with Royal Airs. I swore I would never do drum corps again, but they are fun to be around and play with. It is an added benefit having Ken Norman and Rob Skiera there instructing, since Ken was my instructor in Kilts and I worked with Guardsmen when Rob was in them. It's like old home week! Would be nice for a few of you to be there also. They don't ask much of the members and the schedule for now is thin, which makes it easier for us senior citizens. ROFL

Can't picture myself as a senior citizen, but technically I am......what a bummer! LOL At least I can still play my horn and enjoy it once again.

Good to hear from you Sheila, how is life treating you?

Regards,
Jerry

Jerry,
Its been a rough year around here. I switched jobs after 23 years (still in retail though) and got very ill after only 2 days on the new job. Im good now... only a few lingering problems. I have two lil ones kids (2 1/2 and 4 1/2) so I feel young even though Im not :)

Did you say retired??? Your not THAT old! Where abouts did you retire to?

Hi Sheila,

Didn't know you were ill. Hope you are now fully recovered and happy in your new job.

As for retirement, no I'm not that old, but I did put in 25 years in the public schools and hit the wall, so to speak. Got tired of taking care of everyone eles's kids or problems, so I took the buyout and couldn't be happier. I am living in Michigan 15 miles straight south of Detroit. The town is called Trenton. It's a nice area and the people are nice. I'm now looking to see what I want to do with the rest of my life and where I will choose to work either part or full time, once I want to work again. For now, I'm just doing some things that I put off for a long time and doing things that I want to do, rather than have to do.

For now, I just come over every 3 or 4 weeks and participate in Royal Airs. It's a blast and like a trip down memory lane. There are so many old friends and people that I either worked with or taught. The corps isn't like junior corps and is really kick back, so I don't feel pressured at all. When I can make it there for camp, I do. If I have family responsibilities and can't make it, they understand. The people are cool and the corps is growing and all the remaining members from previous years really seem to like the new direction the corps is headed in. No, it's not the old Royal Airs, but it IS a very fun group of people who play the hell out of their instruments. Having Ken Norman (Kilt Legend) and Rich Campbell from PR working brass is a real plus. They enjoy the members and visa versa. We had 5 new members join this weekend, 3 of them were former students of mine. 2 lead Sops from Gmen and 1 color guard from Imperials. The group is getting younger and is, like I said, very fun to be around and play with. Come on down and check it out for a day when you get a chance (info on chicagoroyalairs.org). You will know many of the people.

I think it's great that you have two little ones. I bet you are a great mom for those lil ones. How are your parents? I still remember your mom and dad's camper. They always had good food in there. Such wonderful people. Hope they are both still with us and in good health.

Sheila, I am really happy that you are content in your life. New jobs are always stressful, but you always were one that adapted well and quickly. Just remember the old saying "you work to live, not live to work". Some of us forgot that and our jobs turned into something less than we would have envisioned.

Drop me an email any time. We have a lot to catch up on. It's been years!

Regards,
Jerry

I turn 42 on Thursday. Hope that doesn't make you feel too old.

What did you do in the Corps? Cymbals, Bass Drum, Tenor

What years were you a Corps member? 1980 - 1983

Thanks Jim!
No it doesn't because I always have some satisfaction in knowing that all of you are getting old too right along with me. ROFL

Getting older doesn't really bother me all that much to be honest. It's just the aches and pains that are sometimes there in the morning that weren't there 15 years ago that bother me. Once I am up and have my coffee though, I generally feel pretty good and charge on through the day. Mentally I see things a little differently and with a better perspective, yet still have the eagerness to accomplish something positive each day. I guess I will get old when I actually feel old. Right now...I just feel middle aged. Most things get better with age, with the exception of the waistline and hairline.

Good to hear from you Jim. Hope all is going well for you.

Regards,
Jerry