Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MEMORIAL DAY!

Memorial Day is coming up soon. That used to be a BIG day for all drum corps.

Usually the first major public outing of the year. In Chicago, it could be a NICE day or a COLD day. You never knew. But, it was ALWAYS a big day. Local parades and ceremonies, honoring the veterans (especially those who died for our country). As it should be! Our buglers would play "Taps".

Then, the BIG parade down Michigan Avenue! See the website history section for some photos.

ALL the Chicago corps were there, so it was fun. Big crowds too.

We often had a contest in Kenosha that weekend. That was always cold .. right on the lakefront at night. First show of the year. Jitters. Some corps would be there with their show not yet complete.

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Re: MEMORIAL DAY!

LOTS of corps hadn't completed their shows for the Winter Carnival up there. So everyone's closer drill looked the same - turn in 4 and head for the end zone, but don't step over the line until...

I don't know what they'd do these days, since there is no finish line anymore.

And Memorial Day was big. You knew it was only a parade, but it was the first time in uniform for many people (always a thrill), and the first time you would see your competitors for the upcoming summer. And a time to debut NEW uniforms, which added to the excitement for some groups.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

I remember only one year, 1970, when it was reasonably warm, in the mid 50's range, rather balmy for Kenosha. All the other years the drums had to keep moving their hands and fingers right up to the starting line to try and stay warm. We pulled into the parking lot in those big Mid America buses, and the guys bus went crazy in anticipation of the first show. We felt we had something to prove. I think we all walked off that bus 10 ft tall and we did put on a good show that night. The stadium was torn down for condos(imagine that), and the building we dressed in is called Marina Shores with the Eagles Ball Room upstairs. Went to a wedding reception there about six years ago and it actually looked pretty nice. Going up to Wausau on Labor Day weekend was always a very chilly experience too!

(Corrected Response of previous posting. I need better spell check and proof reading and should not be doing this on my BLACKBERRY while half listening to a UC-Berkeley Professor present a paper.)

I probably marched in Kenosha almost every year I was in the Imperials. I don't recollect it being exceptionally cold. It was NOT a sultry July or August night but the kind of night when the battle jackets were comfortable. Sort of like a typical summer night in San Francisco--we call it sweat shirt weather.

I don't ever recollect people getting too excited about THAT show and we usually had our show complete. That first show to me was like pre-season as after that the instructors learned what we had to adjust.

We only went to Wausau once--1966. It was memorial day weekend and we finished the weekend in Rockford. I do remember it being cool in the evening (like Kenosha). I also recollect that Madison went on with half their corps AT THAT SHOW IN 1966. I think the other half had broken curfew or been drinking the night before. Wasn't a pretty sight to see half a corps on the field.

There must have been a global cooling period in Kenosha after I left Norwood.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone--Cadets 1959 through 1961 Imperials 1962 through 1966

MEMORIAL DAY!

Remember WHY this holiday exists and remember to say "thanks" to the veterans (especially those who died) for all they did!

Then, remember all the fun we used to have on Memorial Day weekend! The first appearances of the summer .. parades, the famous KENOSHA contest!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Take time to remember WHY this holiday exists and remember to say "thanks" to the veterans for all they did! Especially remember to honor those who died. Be sure to fly the US flag in a place of honor.

Then, remember all the fun we used to have on Memorial Day weekend! The first appearances of the summer .. many local parades, especially down Michigan Avenue with ALL the area corps. Then, the famous KENOSHA contest! (Usually cold!)

------------------------------------------------------------

What years were you a Corps member? 1958 -1963

I was at the MEMORIAL DAY parade in Norwood Park
and I remember when we use to march in it.I could
almost picture it meeting at Onahan School in the
morning.There's always memories that stay with you
no matter how long ago its been.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963

On this day, I remembered our corps always marching on Memorial Day.

Rich Biver's post from last year was significant. He said: "I was at the MEMORIAL DAY parade in Norwood Park and I remember when we use to march in it. I could almost picture it - meeting at Onahan School in the morning. There's always memories that stay with you no matter how long ago its been."

Hope that you all enjoyed the day.. NOT marching in the heat .. but remembering to honor the service members who sacrificed so much for our freedom.

What did you do in the Corps? drummer; quartermaster 1964-66; asst. drum instr. 1964-70

I recall Kenosha as being ok during the day and cold at show time I remember (I thought) 70 as snowing that night it may have been 71.

The very first Drum Corps I ever laid eyes on was Norwood at the Norwood Memorial Day Parade 1968. What a beautiful site! The corps just seems to tower over everything else in the Parade which was mostly made up of Boy and Girl Scouts and little league players. And then the corps played and I was hooked!

What did you do in the Corps? Color Guard & Soprano

What years were you a Corps member? 1970 - 1973

Gosh, Donna, I had the SAME experience. In 1958, I saw the Imperials in the NP parade on Memorial Day. Amazing, as you described.

I was a member of a HS band as a drummer ... and immediately wanted to join this group!

The Imperials could have done a better job of local publicity and recruiting (IMHO). If so, I would have joined earlier .. maybe a lot of others too.

-------------------------------------------------------------

What did you do in the Corps? drummer; quartermaster 1964-66; asst. drum instr. 1964-70

When I first saw NP I was 11 and very short (still am). The corps in their uniforms and shakos with plumes looked like giants to me. I was truly impressed. It is funny how we remember things, and that image has stayed clear in my memory.

It seemed like the corps relied solely on word of mouth to get members, which was sad. If they had found better ways to recruit new members imagine what could have been!

What did you do in the Corps? Color Guard & Soprano

What years were you a Corps member? 1970 - 1973

Donna said...It seemed like the corps relied solely on word of mouth to get members, which was sad. If they had found better ways to recruit new members imagine what could have been!
------------------------------------------------------
Yes, imagine!

Donna also mentions the corps looking like giants in uniform. I remember thinking that - we all did - in the Cadets. We couldn't wait to move up and wear those uniforms! And Norwood's uniform was the easiest of the ones I wore over the years. Cavaliers had too many pieces, and Spirit's jackets zipped up the back, which was a real pain (it was a team effort to get dressed for a show!).

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79