Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Royal Air Update

Hi all! Dave asked me to give an account of how Royal Airs are doing this year from the perspective of an educated and experienced new member. We are looking to swell the ranks of RA so that they can regain the stature they had during the alumni years. Needless to say, I enjoyed it enough to come out of retirement from d&b and drive in from Michigan to join.

Strap in, this might end up a long post.

RA is doing pretty well in all respects, in spite of the fact that there seems to be a few non-marching former members who continue to complain publicly about whatever irritated them to begin with concerning the corps, and/or management, as if it were still happening or those problems still existed, which is unfounded and/or incorrect.

It seems that when RA combined with MOB this year, some of the people came right over with the right mindset/attitude to move forward. However, others who didn't, continue to criticize and/or sit on the fence waiting for something "big" to happen. People seem to forget the lessons of the past, as well as the internal power struggles that brought down and eventually destroyed so many of the finest corps in the country, possibly their own.

Those forgotten lessons have created a small group of 'fence sitters' or sideline quarterbacks, who sit and criticize whatever they 'think' is happening, which may not be the true facts as to what is actually occurring today. Others seem to be waiting for something miraculous to occur, and when it does, the corps will suddenly become as large and successful as it was in the previous 'reunion' years. That's just not going to happen as long as the fence sitters talk too much and continue questioning the decisions of the corps management (good or bad), and unwittingly defame the corps name.

These are the current realities, as seen from the vantage point of a newer member of Royal Airs (myself) who has a Masters Degree in Music Education and who has spent very near 40 successful years in competitive drum corps, marching band and judging, including 3 years with Imperials.

1. The corps is stable and growing, but could be much better and larger if the fence sitters either would join or left it alone to create it's own future or destiny.

2. The members that are committed are very dedicated and working to restore RA to a large enough unit to eventually make it back onto the field either this year or next. Some members travel in from great distances to belong, which creates the appearance of less members when family, work, or health issues prevent them from attending regularly scheduled local rehearsals and/or some performances or functions.

3. Right now it seems that we will be doing parades, exhibitions, and "park and blow" performances until the membership numbers rise to the level necessary for field show exhibitions.

Incidentally, the entire situation works out good for those of us older members who are concerned with the possibility of not being able (for one reason or another) to fulfill what we may incorrectly interpret as the terms for membership. The corps is a 'time-share' commitment, which will meet the needs or desires of many people who might want to belong to a drum corps again, but can't make every rehearsal or gig because of the issues related above.

4. The instruction staff is excellent with Ken Norman (Kilt Legend) arranging music and working the brass, and Rob Skiera who has considerable experience and credentials (Guardsmen, Kilts, CSJA, etc), working the drums. The associate staff is very good also and skillfully handle rehearsals when the primary instructors are not present. The creative staff is now considering the addition of some new, more current music to go along with the traditional Royal Air repertoire (that will always be there), which was requested by many of the corps members. The staff is responding to the desire of the membership to create new, more progressive and entertaining music in the tradition of the Royal Airs. Would Tru or Sie have wanted it any other way?

5. Jim Grothman is doing a pretty **** good job as corps director considering the hand he was dealt, what he has to work with, and the multitude of problems that he has faced in that position. It is easy to be critical of management, which seems to be a drum corps tradition, but such criticism is not always justified without adequate knowledge of what is actually happening, or without being in the shoes of the person who is actually dedicated enough to do the job.

6. Jackie is gone forever, however one might feel about that situation. It's a fact of life and it's time to move forward again. I was not around for all of the problems associated with that issue, however I personally don't care about those issues because they have ceased to be relevant. Personally, I don't care who runs the corps as long as they get the job done, hire decent instructors and keep the internal workings where they belong, within management. I personally am there for the sheer enjoyment of playing my instrument again, which really is a blast. I also have personally been in the unenviable position of being 'in charge' or 'in control' of several organizations. To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't wish that job on anyone! However, those that choose to take on the challenge of management, should be respected for their dedication and given the freedom to make decisions without internal interference or continual second guessing (arm chair quarterbacking) of their decisions. Internal or external interference and/or squabbling, as many of you have experienced in the past, is the quickest path to oblivion.

7. For the record, the management of RA is very open to ideas and suggestions regarding any facit of, and/or the well-being of the corps. It is much more open than in many organizations that I have belonged to. They listen to the members and take the members advice into consideration when making difficult decisions. They are not bound by those suggestions, but do take them seriously when weighing a decision that will affect the corps or it's members, which is more than one could expect in other organizations of this type!

Summary:
It seems that the vast majority of the membership issues related to Royal Airs can be traced to Chicago drum corps 'politics as usual', in it's usual self-destructive form. One would think that the people who are out there would want to see the only senior corps left in Illinois prosper and succeed, and be mature enough to realize that they are not hurting anyone but the members of the corps, many of them old friends, by continuing their unfounded criticism. It's a shame. We could rapidly have about 45+ horns and a good sized drum line if the fence sitters would jump off the fence and either join.....or finally "age out" and let the corps move forward unimpeded.

Come on down and see what is happening. It might be that Royal Airs is the sort of vehicle that will allow you to belong to a drum and bugle corps again, and still be able to have a life. It isn't junior corps. It is a group of people who enjoy sitting down and playing their instruments or spinning their flags again with a minimum of hassle. I look forward to the rehearsals that I can make and enjoy the people in the organization very much. So please, check it out. It might be just the situation that you are looking for.

Regards to all,
Jerry Davidson

What did you do in the Corps? Brass Instructor, Corps Manager

Re: Royal Air Update

So how many former Norwood people are in the Royal Airs?

John,

I don't have an accurate count of that since I don't really look at members of RA in terms of what corps they used to march in. There used to be quite a few and hope that many of them return to the corps. I do know we have 4 ex-Kilties in the corps, but that is because I marched with them or knew them from the corps. I would guess there is still a handful of former Imperials in the corps. Hopefully we can get more of them back into the fold. The corps still has viability and is growing. The best part about it is that it is just plain fun! That is the real and best reason to do drum corps at our age, as I'm sure you would agree.

Jerry

I just wanted to know who was involved. The past few years when I've visited Chicago and had some free time I've tried to drop in on a Royal Airs or MOB (last summer) rehearsal. Good place to catch up with some old friends and listen to the sound--My recollection is they don't play the trumpets that DCI corps are using. I only get to see the Blue Devils and Santa Clara which have a different sound.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone

What years were you a Corps member? 1959 thru 61 Cadets 1962 thru 1966 Imperials

John,

I can find out this weekend how many former Imperials are still in RA. I know when the corps was reformed as a reunion corps there were quite a few. But since they went inactive a couple of years ago, then resurrected, many have chosen to return for one reason or another. The corp, when all are present sound good. The players are very good, many with music degrees. The membership is hanging in there and working to improve the size and quality to what it once was.

They are still playing G bugles and the projection is quite a bit better. When you come back into town I am sure that it will be worth your time to visit with old friends. There are still a number of them with the corps.

Thanks.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone

What years were you a Corps member? 1959 thru 61 Cadets 1962 thru 1966 Imperials

If the Royals won't allow the talent to express themselves the continued in fighting will continue over nothing. A corps surrounds themselves by strength and features those folks to exempligy the talent on board. To do otherwise is a waste of talent.

Ralph,

I have seen NOT ONE instance or example of the corps not allowing it's membership to express themselves, give ideas, or air grievances. In fact, there are structured times when the membership is asked to voice their opinions or any issue for the good of the corps. If a member or individual has any intestinal fortitude at all, they will bring up their grievances for all to hear, instead of attempting to force their or ideas on the organization through the means of back biting and/or behind the scenes politics. That has been an all too common occurrence or practice with drum and bugle corps as well as other organizations, which too often in the past have led to that organizations internal destruction. It led to the destruction of too many corps to count, including Imperials.

The problem is not with the organization, The problem is with the method at which the individual chooses to air what they perceive as a grievance, which in many instances can be termed simply as cheap shot and petty power plays. In strong organizations those tactics are not tolerated. Can you imagine those tactics being allowed in Cavaliers, Blue Devils, Cadets, or any of the strong Senior Corps.....or dare I say, at one's place of employment? I would guess that they would be shown the door in a heartbeat because good management recognizes, controls, and does not tolerate such destructive behavior.

In fact, the issues that led to the demise of Royal Airs are long since past or have ceased to be relevant with the new corps and it's management. They now have a group that is growing and moving forward without much internal strife at all.

There comes a point where one has to really look at why, at our age, someone chooses to join a group like a senior corps or Royal Airs. Is it to play their instruments and spin their flags for the sheer enjoyment of it, or is it a method to return to the past practice of self aggrandizement or ego inflation by creating internal strife over some rather petty issues? If it is the latter, then the corps or organization is better off without them.