Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
First Show Memories

As we get ready to start another drum corps season (does anybody really care?), I was thinking about first show memories.

1970 - my first show with the Cadets - scared to death! The fact that it was an exhibition at a show with Garfield, Kilties, Argonne, Troopers, Des Plaines Vanguard, etc. didn't make it any easier. But what a thrill to hear that crowd cheering us!

1972 - my first show with the Imperials, and for some reason (never explained to us, although Kazmerak got the blame) the horn line came marching right through the drum line during the first drum solo, which had NEVER happened in practice. A little tough to concentrate when you're only 12 years old to begin with! But I remember the thrill of putting on that uniform for the first time. And it was Wisconsin. I seem to remember that Norwood ALWAYS started in Wisconsin for some reason.

1974 - my first show with the Cavaliers. Luckily it was an exhibition at the corps-sponsored competition. Still only 14 years old and in the snare line. And being a new guy in the Green was a whole new type of torture. High expectations after the disaster of 1973.

1979 - again, high expectations after a greatly improved corps in 1978. The start of one of my most fun seasons ever!

1980 - Spirit of Atlanta, and for the first time in my 11 years being a crowd favorite every time out, which was a blast! And 11 snares? I had no clue what was going on at either end of that line.

I don't ever remember our show not being finished in time for the first competition, but it rarely resembled what the end of the season show was - especially in 1973.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Re: First Show Memories

Don't recollect anything special about my first show. In 1959 the Cadets competed for the first time ever in a show in Libertyville or somewhere in Lake County. It was late August or early September. It was a B-corps show only. I recollect it was cold wearing those short sleeved polo shirts and that the Scarlet Knights won. I think the Scarlet Knights were B-corps level SAL champs. Only time I recollect seeing that corps. I believe Ted Orland and Warren Dulski were in the Scarlet Knights at that time. Two people I'd eventually spend a lot of time with during my years in the Imperials.

I was told that the Cadets had never done a drill prior to that event--always a parade corps prior to then. In 1960 and 1961 we competed in a handful of shows and always American Legion State. In 1961 we got to go to Springfield and Louisville for AMVETS state and National contests and won both championships. I think there's been a previous post but the 1961 Cadets corps was the only National Championship Corps that Norwood ever could claim. Also recollect everyone was excited about going to Springfield and Louisville for AMVET State and Nationals. Probably because the Cadets never traveled outside the Chicago area.

I must be getting old. All the shows start blending in to each other. I can tell you no matter how many shows I did, I always got those butterflies in my stomach every single time.

The nerves, the excitement, the anticipation. You just wanted to get it over with and not make any mistakes. Then when the show was over, you wish you could do it all over again and enjoy it more.

Kewanee, Momence, Manotowoc, Monroe, Ottawa, Dekalb, Des Plaines, Elk Grove Village, Mt Prospect, Soldier Field, Grant Park, Calumet City, Grand Haven, Ingersoll, Montreal, New Orleans, Springfield.

Some shows I remember more than others. Springfield inspections were always a joy.

What did you do in the Corps? Cymbals, Bass Drum, Tenor

What years were you a Corps member? 1980 - 1983

I don't remember much from my first show. It was with the Royal Lancers in Michigan and I was about 12. They needed a cymbal player to fill in for one that got sick and they knew I could play drums, so they just handed me the cymbals, told me to follow one of the other guys and hit them when he did. I just wanted to survive and get through the show. I played through that season then did baseball for a couple of years and came back to them as a horn player.

My first show with Kilts was really intense. It was in Kenosha against Cavaliers, Madison, Blue Stars, Des Plaines and a couple of lesser corps. It was a rush! All I remember was how cool it felt to be in the uniform lined up with the corp, and then the end of the show. I don't remember anything in between. I think I was so focused on doing well that I was in the zone and wasn't aware of anything in the show except what I was doing and staying about 3 steps ahead in my mind.

First shows are always a rush. My first show as an instructor was with Scarlet Knights and they were just doing an exhibition because they were small, young and couldn't play Come To Jesus in whole notes. However, I think I was more nervous for them than anyone in the corps. They were terrible, but it was the first show for many of them and a major accomplishment to get back on the field and I felt like a father who had just given birth.

Every year there was a first show with whatever corps or band I was teaching and I always had butterflies and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Good topic!

What did you do in the Corps? Brass Instructor, Corps Manager

My early post talked about the Cadets. My first field show with the Imperials was at Mt Prospect in 1962. It was early June or possibly late May. The Cavaliers weren't in the show so it was Norwood, Royal Airs, Vanguard, plus the usual local small corps (McHenry, Morton Grove, etc.).

We surprised the Royal Airs and won the show. That might have been the last show we wore the satin shirts.

First shows in new uniforms were always special. In 1976, when the Cavaliers changed to the actual Cavalier uniform (with capes, big hats with feathers, vests, etc.), we were still trying to figure out how to wear the things and hook everything together - and we lost lots of parts that night! But the crowd loved the new look.

Even in high school bands this is an exciting time. We got new uniforms my senior year at Joliet West - gold blouses, similar to Cavaliers (in fact, we bought their shakos, which were only two years old), compared to the old uniform, which was a long black coat and a cop hat with a feather duster plume (as Dad called them). In fact, it was the exact same uniform HE wore in high school (things change VERY slowly in Joliet).

And when my own band in Georgia got new uniforms (our old ones were the ugliest ones anyone ever saw), my students were dressed an hour early, just standing around the band room looking at each other!

Even as a little kid, when Norwood's Cadets got new blouses in 1971, it was a turn on the first time.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79