Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Anyone going to the Normal, IL, Show?

I'm going to be going to the show in Normal, IL, on the 28th, and was wondering if anyone else was going. I really wish I'd committed to it earlier, though. Sitting way to the left of the 50, but at a decent height, though. AND, the rooms were nealy all sold out, and the only pool I could find for the kids was 21 mi. away. That's okay, this'll be my three-year-old and eight-year-old's first drum corps show.

My eight-year-old just this weekend saw a parade and noticed the baton twirlers, and got really excited about doing it. I'm wondering how she's going to react to the show.

Anyway, we'll be around, so if anyone else wants to get together, let me know so we can hopefully plan something. Oh, yeah, it'll be Cookie, Dee, and me there, as well as my family.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare

What years were you a Corps member? 197? - 1979

Re: Anyone going to the Normal, IL, Show?

Sorry, I put the wrong date. The show is the 27th, not the 28th. Thanks, Cook.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare

What years were you a Corps member? 197? - 1979

I'm still trying to imagine you with kids...

When's the last time you saw a drum corps show?

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Funny, I've had kids so long, I can't imagine me without 'em!

I've got kids that cover quite a span. I've got a 27 year old daughter, a 23 year old son, an 8 year old daughter, and a 3 year old daughter. We had the first two out of high school and hitting college when we had Malorie, our eight-year-old. My wife never lost her desire to have another child, so I figured I'd better get it over with before I was in my 40s having a newborn. Then, in our early 40s, we got Victoria, our surprise. We'd been getting by so long by just being careful, I kept forestalling "getting things taken care of". Well, needless to say there will be no more surprises of that sort!

Our oldest daughter, Nicole, was out on her own for quite a while, but she came back for a visit a couple years ago after her first baby for a visit. She's still "visiting" - along with her fiance, while they're getting back on their feet. In the meantime, she's had another baby. So she adds a two-year-old and a newborn to the picture.

...and a few months ago, my son, who was a chef working at the Broadmoor Resort in CO, decided he was thinking about law school and came back to be closer to family and just work for a year (so he says) before continuing on with his education.

We moved here two-and-a-half years ago with four of us, and now we have nine in the house. The house is so full that right now my son is in the basement without any walls! Every time I get set up to establish a new office/captioning studio, something happens to make me lose it! I literally had finished setting up my office/spare bedroom the day my wife left to get my daughter a couple years ago, and my office keeps getting moved as I lose ground. I'm thinking the garage looks appealing lately... or maybe one of the mole holes in the yard. I don't know.

The last live show I went to see was a DCI competition in Columbia, MO, two years ago, but I saw semifinals at a theater last year, and so far this year I went to see the "You be the Judge" show at the theater, since I was Jonesin' It looks like Normal will be the only live show I get to see this year. I'm glad they're broadcasting the shows to theaters now, so I can at least see something. It's not as good as being there, but it's still something. I'm going to be choosy about which theaters I go to from now on. The first one was great. It had a great sound system, played plenty loud, and had a really nice screen. The second one, which I chose over the first because it was closer to my house, never got the music loud enough, and the screen was nowhere as clear as the first.

Malorie, my eight-year-old, saw a parade last week. It wasn't much of a parade, just a small one with one marching band, but she got pretty excited about the baton twirlers. I think she's really going to enjoy a DCI-class show.

Bob, if someone had asked me what you were doing before I found out what you were doing a couple years ago, I'd have said I thought you would be teaching music or playing professionally. Me, I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up - er, my kids grow up. Whoops, I didn't realize I wrote so much. That always happens when I start talking about my kids. Have a good one!

Mike,

Sounds like you need a No Vacancy sign for your house!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Uh, yeah... workin' on it, man, workin' on it.