Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DIET

So there's chat about subject matter. Previous mention of oil prices and the impact on current drum corps traveling was mentioned but the fact some corps may fold or revert to feed yourself when out of town or out of state wasn't disected.

A major expense for the top corps is their food court on wheels run by volunteers providing three square meals but requires the food cost and operation of an 18 wheeler truck and driver.

Does anyone believe these gourmet serving vehicles will survive going into 2009 let alone the grandure of current accomodations in foreign city's?

The reality of travel costs may result in Championships held somewhere in Buffalo NY-What do you think???

What did you do in the Corps? Soprano

Re: DIET

When I was in the Imperials, we were usually on our own for food. It was a very rare and welcome treat when the parents would cook for us.

McDonald's was a mainstay for us as the bus driver always got a free meal there for bringing in a bus load of customers.

What did you do in the Corps? cymbals, Bass Drum, Tenor

What years were you a Corps member? 1980-1983

Some cook trucks include laundry and shower facilities! But the corps won't abandon them for letting the kids feed themselves, mainly because of the time involved. There's no way they're going to give up practice time on tour to go into town and let the kids eat. Plus, that's usually when the bus drivers get their sleep. The new world of DCI can't exist without having feeding ability right with the corps.

In the old days, you left in the morning, marched an afternoon parade, practiced a little, did your bucks, and marched the show at night. There were usually eating facilities within walking distance of the school, and you didn't have to worry about drivers sleeping, because it was just a normal day. Then you went home at night and did it all again the next day. Maybe you had a "tour" at the end of the summer for nationals. But there aren't enough local corps to sustain that anymore, so they have to travel. And that means having the ability to feed the members on-site.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Bob is right, as long as the corps are TOURING, they will need to feed the members in this manner. And, since DCI has helped to kill off local corps and local shows, there is very little alternative to tours.

Maybe some slight rearrangements are possible. Shorter tours for example. When DCI started, they had two tours in the year. A short early tour, then a later tour to end at the Championships. I am sure that DCI will try to do something.

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Of the many reasons to travel with a kitchen truck that you're over looking, the most important is the ability to control the diet of the marching member.
Most cooking staff's have a menu that they follow usually provided by a dietician or chef.
It's more important to feed the marching member well, than turn them loose on there own to eat fast foods and junk.

They can make sure that the kid don't miss a meal due to lack of money or other reasons.

They can feed the corps cheaper by getting shippments from food wholesalers rather then retail prices.

The rehursel time is an advantage that is gained by not taking 2 to 3 hours to load the busses, find lunch and they still have time to polish there shoes and horns before the show.

Also most of the corps are feeding 4 meals a day not 3. They get a snack before the load the busses.

The shower is so the cooks can clean up and go see the shows when time is short. Bob you'll like the new trailer.

Scott, thanks for the reminder. Control of DIET is an important factor, as is making sure the members get their 3 squares a day.

Scott,

It HAS to be better than the one I spent a month in back in 93 to California and back! My only worry is that with laundry and showers, they'll NEVER let the cooks leave the trailer! Ya'll have no idea how hard those people work for the corps.

And your point about diet is correct. Can you imagine some of the people we marched with surviving in today's drum corps? I wasn't fat, but I still can't imagine doing the type of marching they do today, all day long. They cover more ground in one run-through than I did in 11 years in a snare line!

By the way - those kids eat WAY better off their cook trucks than we ever did going to restaurants. In fact, I actually GAINED weight on that tour!

And, if that was a hint to cook again - FORGET IT! I'm glad I could do it that time, but not at 49 years old!

Bob
I wasn't trying to get you to help the cooking crew, I'm transportation. Can you drive?

We have been called the Club Med of drum corps.

And that name is well-earned. There has never been a more pampered bunch on the road. No more donuts off the back of the equipment truck!

Go to the Cavaliers website (www.Cavaliers.org) and check out the pictures of the new kitchen truck they got! Totally amazing.

Even better, they got it by "partnering" with a firm that makes these units .. that means they got THEIRS free!

No, it wasn't free. It's partnership with Kitchens To Go. They rent it out during the months Cavaliers don't need it.

OK, not free. But a good deal. And a very smart move by the Cavaliers staff!

SCOTT

You bring up a good point or 2. The feed trucks do control the marching folks menu plus keep them close to their main location.

We didn't have a potty bus after 1964 resulting in a number of incidents. Let the bus drive on into 4-5 hours and then stop at a rest area on the turnpike. It might be rude but alot of us had to go, the worst part was one member couldn't wait and took a crap in a urinal......no pics.

On the way back from our east trip forced the girls bus to stop unexpectably after one of the guard spilled the cup she was peeing in. The worst part was when both buses stopped at the first rest area-management-wouldn't let any of the girls off the bus to use the facilities until they b'ched enough.

In retrospect, it would have been nice to stop at a truck stop with a restaurant and showers during the return trip from NY. I wonder how many alumni have used Greyhound as a mode of transportation since they marched????