Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
SPARTACUS, SAMURAI AND SHOW DESIGN

Here are a few alumni comments about the 2008 show designs for a few corps, as posted elsewhere on the Forum. An interesting discussion. I tend to fall toward the view expressed by Donna Larsen.

PHANTOM REGIMENT

The Phantom Regiment are really entertaining this year. I'm going to leave it to you to see the show itself, but I will say that there is a lot of violence; including a guard member getting her throat slit, the guard attacking the euphonium line with large swords, and eventually, all of the guard getting slaughtered. But after all, it is the violent story of Spartacus. I can see PR near the top of the heap at the end of the season with this show.

Jim, I had an 11 y.o. grand-daughter and her 10 y.o. brother with me the first time that I saw Phantom Regiment, this season. They both had a bit of a problem with the grizzly throat slashing scene, by a drum major yet (right?!). I'd like to see that graphic scene changed.

CAVALIERS
I didn't think a Samurai show would work, but it does, very very good.

THE CADETS
Shut up and play - I'm sorry but an NPR show as a Drum & Bugle corps show doesn't work. Narration about breast cancer? The rest of the corps is hot. If they would just stop talking and let the corps play, they would be great.

TROOPERS

You traditionalists out there will appreciate the Troopers. They still wear the exact same uniforms down to the drum major wearing the side arm, the spurs, and the high boots. They even have the star burst move to the music of "Ghost Rider". Of course it's fun to watch the retro stuff, but it won't fly in competing with modern drum corps and they will battle Pioneer for last place in World class. But again, I do recommend that you see them if you're into drum corps nostalgia.

From Donna Larsen Gatlin

My folks saw a military group and said they were great. I'm sick of this drum corps crap, the music is awful and the dancing should be on some stage. What you just posted (Phantom) sounds awful. I thought we were in drum corps to be away from violence.

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Re: SPARTACUS, SAMURAI AND SHOW DESIGN

Seeing the Cavies' Japanese show is really something special! Downright awesome... fast, loud, rhythmic as could be, precise, and syncronized brilliantly. It's gotta be one of their best shows ever, and performed magnificently. It's a must-see.

I was hoping that the Bluecoats would go back to their white pants, which looked so great with their blue coats. Nope! They used to wear white plumage in their white helmet-type headgear, too. Still black, with black headgear too, yet. These last two years, they and the other two blue div. I (now called "World Class") corps look so very much the same... all three corps. Too bad. Their show, "The Boxer," is fun.

Carolina Crown looks so super cool in their totally cream uniforms, with tan plumage and trim! And are they ever good! They're playing the ends (yes, just the ends) of classical songs, dove-tailed, one into the other. Beef tender loin tips. Interesting.

I like Madison's old T shirts that say, "Loud, Proud, and We Please the Crowd." "We are as we were," as the Scouts say about themselves and their alums. Lots of proud Latin flavor to their new show, too.

The Cadets have gone back to their strictly traditional uni's. When they march, in unison, they are a special site to behold. Dem kids kin play too! I've witnessed them, in person, once. I need to see them, live, two more times. I will.

I've heard it said that if the Blue Devils can march, they'll be dangerous! Musically, they are that good, this one guy, who is very knowledgeable, says.

Parenthetically... I still say, ya can't judge a show and/or a corps until you've seen it, live and in person, three times. I swear that that's a fact!

Well, on another thread we are beating the "inappropriate content" subject to death. But, I keep wondering .. WHY do drum corps have to have a "THEME" or "Have a story to tell" now? Narration. Graphic violence. Special costumes! Stages.

This is getting more and more like old time college bands each year!

In earlier days, drum corps were happy to play music, not tell a story. There were no props, no narration (and no PIT). The corps marched and played. Simple.

And, Joe "average fan" could understand the music and the show .. and loved it!

The programs were usually made of tunes which normal folks would recognize ... marches, show tunes and the like. Yes, occasionally, a corps would feature a bunch of music from a certain Broadway show .. such as "The Sound of Music", but it wasn't really a "theme".

The corps often started (OTL) with a march or show tune, then did a "production number". Often, that set the stage for the Color Presentation (something which has disappeared from druum corps). Then "concert"... a standstill performance, where music could be played without marching. Then, another short tune, followed by a final "Production number" and then the closer .. Off the field.

Yes, it was way different than now!

When I was a high school band director (1988-1996), I kept threatening to call my show one year "It's Just a Marching Show."

There have always been theme shows - even before 1971 with Madison and Cavaliers. You could argue that Hawthorne ALWAYS did a theme show (Latin music). The themes just weren't as "artsy" as they are today, and the music was more recognizable.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Yes, Hawthorne does follow a "theme" .. Latin music. Reilly Raiders did it too .. Irish music. But, they didn't "tel a story"!

re: "themes'. You might even say that the Blue Devils have a "jazz" theme, Phantom Regiment has a "classical" theme (varying their focus year by year).

I thought Riley's theme was drinking and carousing, from what I've heard...

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Bob, that was just their "off the field" lifestyle!

Speaking of corps programs and "themes", in the 1950s and 60s, it was very unusual for a corps to have a totally new show for the new year. Usually, you'd keep MOST music and just change one or two numbers!

'Course, we weren't the highly talented semi-professional members which are in drum corps now!