Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How Was the Cavalier Alumni Corps?

I thought I heard that the Cavalier Alumni Corps was to make an appearance at the Cavaler show. There was a lot of buzz after Madison's big show two years ago.

What's the scoop?

Re: How Was the Cavalier Alumni Corps?

They marched onto the field and set up in concert formation, standing still, from 35 to 35 yard line, in an arc. The drum line was to the audience's left, as part of the arc. The color guard performed, on and off, very mildly, behind the arc. When finished, the entire corps marched off the field, smartly, as it had entered. Both of the marches were done to their drum cadence that the corps calls "Iowa," which is used by the corps to this day. Something cool was that as the 2008 Cavaliers Iowa ended, the ole timers started, with not the miss of a single beat. The young Cavies stood in the background while the old timers performed. Then, they ended up switching places, as the present junior corps put on an encoure. After all that, all the green guys, old and new, met in a big huddle, at midfield and sang their corps song and Rainbow.

The Alums wore modern day tight black pants, with throw-back kelly green satin long sleeve shirts -- really pretty under the lights! Headgear was also retro -- 50's style, just as I remembered them... black with a shiney silver medal-like thingy in front. They looked and sounded great! They were very precise, musically and visually. They must have really prepared. They will also be performing at Michigan City, on July 6, at that Cavie sponsored contest. There were many more of them on the field than they had as the "Classic Cavaliers" of last year (which was pretty lame, musically, compared to this group... shhh). That group was extrememly plainly garbed, too (which was fine).

Now... what the new Alumni Corps did was not comparable to the extravaganza that the "Madison Scouts Reunion Corps" put on at Madison, during the world finals in 2006. Those guys did the entire schtick, a full old-fashioned drum and bugle corps show, with everyone marching much the same as 50 years ago, full color guard and all. That was spectacular. All of that show is on DVD, too.

The Cavaliers Alumni Corps is going to do a show on semi-finals night, in Indiana, at the world finals weekend... it's on 8/8/08. At 8? Much later, I'm sure. Perhaps, then, they will do an ole time drum and bugle corps show (as Madison did); I don't know. My guess is that they will. The Cavies ole timers were very well received by the crowd, and not just to be nice, either. They were good! The numerous trumpet solos were outstanding, as well. The drum line was sharp as could be, and most impressive in every way! The announcer claimed that every single year of the Cavaliers was represented on the field at Naperville the other night, carrying a flag or doing something. Madison had over 200 alumni perform that magic night in WI, in August of '06. I don't think the Cavies are aiming at that number. For a park and blow show, the green satin guys showed us a good time... well done! At least they didn't lay the American flag on the ground as the Scouts alumni did. I had to get that in (again)!

The Scouts put on a party with lots of Wisconsin liquid gold flowing, after the performance, at a restaurant in Madison. I left at 2 a.m.; hundreds were still rallying. Madison jackets and garb everywhere! Maybe the Cavaliers will try to outscore them, on 8/8/08, with a green-brew party. We'll see.

I'd love to see one of those alumni shows. Maybe that'll be one of the disks I buy. Please allow me to share my wife's perception of the Cavaliers. She wife saw them for the first time live at the Normal show last week. They were her favorites at that shiow, as they were when she saw them at a theater as well. She said, and I quote: "I really like the man band because they were really 'drummy'." Great, another Cavalier groupie.

Funny! Mike, she can join the many young ladies who flock to their shows, wherever they perform; I don't really know why. They do have a female following, for sure! Lots of young men too, in fact. (Don't say it!!)

I think it's funny, the things that first timers say, upon seeing the various corps. I really enjoy listening to their impressions. Sometimes, a new viewer will say things that are very insightful. Sometimes they say things that serve to reiterated what I have felt. What bothers me is that it took me several years to come up with certain observations... how can a newbee pick it out right away?! An example: At the time, new-fan Erik (age 7, at the time), said to me, as the Blue Devils were performing, in Kalamazoo, "Grampa, they're the best!" I laughed and replied, "You're probably right, buddy!" I always ask the kids to not talk during performances, and they don't, but he did, which really emphasized his impression... he just blurted it out, very excitedly. Outa the mouths of babes... and wife-babes.

Bill,

Yes, they will do a full drill at DCI week. And they will add plumes to the shakos (they could only afford one set, and didn't want to take a chance on ruining them in the weather).

As for the Classic Cavaliers, that's a horse of a completely different color. They're meant to do local parades and stuff, and it's an ongoing group. Their main aim is to be a continuing fund-raising source for the junior corps.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

I am really not a fan of the Cavies, but I must say the alumni show was great. The highlight for me was 'Sing Sing Sing'

One of the highlights of the evening

What did you do in the Corps? Cymbals. Bass, Tenor

What years were you a Corps member? 1980 - 1983

Thanks for that info, Bob. I'm always trying to learn. Jim, I agree; the Alumni Corps was a highlight, indeed... super enjoyable. I so much look forward to seeing them again, on 7/6, and for their full drill (show) on 8/8. Both the junior corps and the Alumni Corps are sooooo enjoyable this summer. I love to witness alumni corps. Ya know, it looks like they sure do have fun out there, too! Some of em are older than me! Yikes! I so much admire the cohesiveness and the camaraderie between the juniors and their green elders; it's rather amazing to witness. Somehow, they keep that corps goin' and goin'!

What did you do in the Corps? I watched from the stands and the sidewalks.

What years were you a Corps member? zero

Bill .. lots of corps keep their alumni and "current" corps in touch. That is good management. And, the Cavaliers management is among the BEST! (Mostly due to Don Warren).

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Sounds like the Cavies alumni corps is worth seeing!
"Sing, Sing, Sing" was their very popular concert number in 1957 when they won their FIRST National title. It was great!

I know, Dave. Re the Cavies, it seems that they have learned well (the admin.) from Don and that they will carry on in the same ways. I talk with him, a little, at every corps show that I go to. What a nice man! He says his wife is sick; that's why she's never there. She always used to be at his side. He truly cares about the activity, not only about his corps.

Bill,

Both Don and his wife Jan have had health issues the past several years. Their daughter (also Jan) was the Imperials Drum Major for several years in the 70's. And if you're going to the Michigan City show on Sunday, the alumni corps is supposed to be marching their show for the first time.

Dave,

Not only are they playing "Sing, Sing, Sing", but they are featuring Sam Geatti - the original tenor drum soloist in the 50's, along with Dave Flynn, the trapset soloist from the 80's (I marched with Dave, and everybody knows Sam).

I just watched the videos from the performance, and it looks like a hoot! Wish I could have done it.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

That sounds great. I certainly remember "Sing, Sing, Sing" and Sammy's solo.

I heard that the Cavalier Alumni Corps was to appear .. with a real field show .. at the Michigan City contest! Were any Imperial alums there to see this? If so, give is us a report!

How Was the Cavalier Alumni Corps?

For those who were in Bloomington for the DCI semi-finals, how about a report on the Cavaliers Alumni Corps? I have heard that they presented a field show, of the "old style drum corps" variety!

What years were you a Corps member? 1958- 63

any reports about the Cavalier Alumni Corps performance at Bloomington??

No one left the stadium after all the junior corps were finished. Everybody wanted to see the Cavalier Alumni Corps. Huge crowd! The Alumni Corps was ole fashioned as heck and the whole place went nuts... most standing throughout their whole program, some of which was done marching and some in concert formation. All the junior corps' age-outs sat together at one end of the stadium and the Alumni Corps marched over to them, playing, as a salute to them. What a great moment! All the age-outs stood to cheer, as did the entire audience. The Alums were wild and crazy and performed magnificently! A big thrill for all of us present! We all thoroughly enjoyed it all... which was about 1/10th as much as the ole timers enjoyed it all... that was obvious! What fun! As an ole marcher, who sat next to me said, "Now that, alone, was worth the price of admission!"

I wonder if:

any of the guys who marched in the anniversary corps will remnain in the Classic Cavaliers?

the Clasic Cavaliers will change froma parade only corps to a "field" alumni corps?

The Classic Cavaliers will continue.
They should add to there numbers now that they CAC in done.
There are no plans on anything other then a parade corps at this time.

I ALSO wonder if the Cavaliers website will show any pictures of the Cavaliers anniversary corps from Bloomington. I hear they were GREAT!

That was one of the items decided right from the beginning - that it was only for one year. They had seen the Royal Airs go on after that, and the troubles they had, and they mostly didn't want to compete for money, time, etc. from the active corps, which is the main difference between the Cavalier/Madison reunion corps and all the others - there is still a junior corps active to support. In fact, one of the reasons for the alumni corps was to get more alumni involved in supporting the current corps. We'll see if that happens.

Scott - did you march with the CAC?

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

From The Holy Name Cadets Alumni Corps website, comes this quote:

The highlight of the night for me was the exhibition by The Cavaliers Alumni Corps, 170 members strong, ALL Cavalier Alumni. They were, in a word, SUPERB. I never imagined that a corps comprised of older members who had not rehearsed in years could retain their skills to such a high degree. Sitting in the end zone of the stadium were the ageouts from all the corps in DCI, and the largest group was from The Cavaliers. Once their alumni corps lined up on the field they turned in the direction of the young Cavaliers about to begin their life´s journey and played "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" in their honor. It was a Cavalier moment for and about Cavaliers, but it touched everyone in the stadium including our Cadet ageouts who stood to give the Cavaliers a tribute ovation. I cry a lot these days, reliving in my mind so many great Cadet and drum corps memories; and emotionally-draining moments like the one just described remind me why I think this is such a special activity, with our corps at the heart of it for so many years.