Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DON WARREN

There have been a few comments on the Forum recently about Don Warren, the Cavaliers President.

From George Roberts

Went to the Oswego show last night with Ron Shreffler. While at this show we were sitting close to to 50 and Mr. Don Warren saw Ron, called him Ronie and sat down next to him and started talking to him as if they had seen each other yesterday.
Ron had a big smile on his face and they talked about the old days. Ron also told Don that we will be at the Cavie show too, I'm sure they will find each other again too.

From Bill Schaefer

At Naperville, on Sunday night, Don Warren was briefly interviewed on the P.A. system. One of the corps was on the field ready to go... not the best timing. Well, when asked what Don thought of the future of drum corps, he said it's bright, but he wouldn't be at all surprised to see regional competition become the thing, because of fuel costs. He said that his corps had budgeted $75,000 for fuel this summer, and he thinks that that won't be enough. Don was sharp, to keep it short, as he saw that a corps was positioned and at attention. Well done, Don!

My opinion, these are two more examples of the class that Don Warren displays. He has always been gracious to other corps, even tough competitors. (For example, he was a great advisor to Sie Lurye of the Royal Airs). He also supported the Royal Airs alumni corps.

But, his greatest accomplishment was the development of a solid ongoing management structure, and training program, for the Cavaliers.

There will be further attention given to him this summer as he reaches his 80th birthday, the 60th anniversary of the Cavaliers and his retirement from the Cavaliers. In my opinion. well deserved!

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Re: DON WARREN

A coupla shows ago, I was standing near where Don was signing books. Suddenly, I heard, "Hi Bill!" I turned and it was Don's greeting. I had no idea that he remembered my name. Amazing... just amazing. If I'm half as sharp if/when I get to 70, as he is at 80, THAT will be amazing... and he's nice as all get out too, not a nasty cuss like me.

Bill, yes, some people seem to have a real "knack" for remembering names. It is an important skill in business, for sure!

Maybe Don remembered YOU because you are such a "nasty cuss"?? Just kidding. I don't think that is the case!

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

I've always been convinced that Don remembers EVERY kid who ever marched in the corps! Amazing. And a great man.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Don Warren is my godfather (his wife, Jan, is my godmother). Good people indeed. His kids Jim, Jan, Mike, and Dan were friends of mine when I was a kid as well. Love those Warrens.

Dr. Snyder,

I never knew that! But I never knew of the connection between your folks and the Cavaliers until I saw McCormick's video series.

How are your folks doing? Please tell them I said hello. I always thought your Dad was a terrific guy! And so patient, teaching those little kids, most of whom had NO musical ability. He and George Munzer were great for us!

My parents are awesome. Every time I go down to Chicago (next trip is in two weeks), I expect to see two old people who are nearly eighty now and winding down in years, What I've actually find is two people who still embrace life and are still vibrant and fun. They are heavily active in their church and my dad still plays trumpet with the Concordia concert band and my mom gives tours of the local Frank Lloyd Wright homes in Oak Park. Of course they go through medical problems: they both have pace-makers now and dad had all of his valves replaced (on his heart, not his trumpet!), but they're not taking old age sitting down. They are still the same beautiful people they always were.

Now I can't wait to see them. Thanks for stirring up these emotions, Bob!

Jim,

Take good care of them. With Mom gone and Dad not even knowing me anymore most days, I can tell you from tough experience how lucky you are.

ahhh yes George Munzer.. we used to go camping with the Munzer's long before I was in drum corps! They are great people

Wow... Mr. Snyder and Mr. Munzer. Mr. Munzer was my first drum instructor. He personally made practice pads for us out of 2x10s and a piece of rubber. I still have the rubber piece somewhere. If it weren't for his incredible patience - and the fact that the Imperials actually gave me a drum to practice on - I can honestly say I have no idea what my life would be like now. Changed things for me, anyway.

Drum corps changed MANY peoples' lives. And I promise that neither Dick Snyder or George Munzer (or many of the other instructors, especially in the Cadets) were paid anywhere near what they were worth to us kids.

You know, as a kid, I never thought twice about the time and engergy people put into things; they just were always there. Having been through a few kids now, I appreciate them more than I ever did.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare

My dad taught me a long time ago that you don't do drum corps for money.

And that's how I always approached my NBA career, Jim.

Dr. Jim,

You mean your parents didn't get rich from teaching the Cadets? I'll have to yell at Dad for not paying him more!