Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Have a Happy Independence Day!

Have a great day today .. be sure to fly the flag too!

Lots of DCI corps in the Chicago area for parades today .. most just passing through from Wisconsin to Indiana and Ohio.

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Re: Have a Happy Independence Day!

We've probably talked about this before, but 4th of July was always the busiest day of the drum corps season. I think the least I ever did (other than 1980, when we had NO performances with Spirit, which was REALLY strange) was two parades and a show. But there were several years when we would have KILLED for that light of a schedule! 1976 - the Bicentennial - was the worst. Three parades and two shows in one day!

Evanston was usually on the 4th of July. Anyone else have memories of that day?

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Bob, I think that we went through all of this on an earlier posting thread. maybe we should "resurrect" that?

I noticed that there were some DCI corps in the area today (passing through) and they each did 2 or 3 parades!

Re: 4th of July

"Fourth of July Parade Schedule

Wednesday, July 2nd, 2008 - 12:27 PM
By Don Heitzman

The Cavaliers will be in 3 parades on July 4th.

9:00 In Niles,IL

12:00 in Elmwood Park,IL

3:00 in Evanston,IL"

source: Cavaliers.org

The Green Machine went from Cincinnati to Chicago. Tomorrow is a large show in Kalamazoo.

why in the world would a corps travel from Cincinnati to Chicago to do three parades, then turn around and go to Kalamazoo, Michigan?

I thought that FUEL COSTS were hurting the DCI corps?

Don Warren once said to me, in Madison, at lunch, that The Cavaliers will always be indebted to Chicago and the Chicago area and will always try to show their appreciation to all in the Chicagoland area who have helped them continue to exist, and their roots (a Logan Square Boy Scout unit... Troop 111) will always be a part of them all. Maybe that's why.

Maybe!

We'll see if they continue to do it when Don steps down next year.

It will be interesting to see all that the Cavies management team does in the years coming up, after Don's 60 years of cheerful service. I'm betting that they learned enough, from him, to not goof up. But... we'll see.

I think the prettiest parade route I marched was with the Bridgemen in Rhode Island. It was 1 5 mile parade route along the waterfront. After we went to Boston and had a free night. the Boston pops and fireworks were the best. I do recall many a year we did 3 parades (well actually 6 because we cut in 1/2) and then did a show or 2 at night.
My husband thinks parades are lame. I make him go every 4th usually we go to Northbrook. This year the Colts and Blue Coats and a group from Kalamazoo were there. the colts sounded GREAT.. wouldnt know about the Blue Coats as they didnt play a note the entire route.

Sheila,

I hope you forgot the decimal point and didn't mean a 15 mile parade!

oops guess i should proof read for typos.. it was a 5 mile parade