Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Illinois VFW State 1960's vs now

All this recent talk of DCI and the "future" of drum corps reminded me of our sad local scene. For example:

1. In the early 1960's: we'd go to VFW State and have 25-30 drum corps. So many that they at times had to have TWO DAYS for prelims! Now, NO VFW State!

2. Then 25-30 corps in Illinois. Now - two. (Not including alumni corps)

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Re: Illinois VFW State 1960's vs now

Now, for the last 10 years, 3 corps have dominated Div. I. I don't know if that same sort of domination took place within the state of Illinois back then. Now, it's the same ole story, the same 3 corps... 1,2,3... 3,2,1... 2,1,3... for the very most part. Sure would be interesting to have more corps in that mix, other than an occasional appearance in the top 3, by some corps, only to drop back in the ensuing years. Just within IL, 25 or more corps at competition, wow! How nice. Were there 3 dominating corps as we have now, in IL, year after year, pretty much?

Yes, there were - the ones on the Top 4 album (which we ALL own at least two copies of, right?). With Belleville thrown in. But there were always a few at the top, although over the years they might rotate - Royal Airs out, Guardsmen in; Vanguard out, Phantom in. I guess the Cavaliers were the only ones who held on for a decade then, though, like the Cadets, Devs, and Cavies are doing in DCI now. Even I admit it has gotten old, and I marched with one of them!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Sure, there were some corps which were ALWAYS good and at or near the top. As Bob pointed out, there was also some "rotation" over the years.

But, the point was that there were so MANY corps .... which gave MANY youngsters the ability to participate.
And, yes, some kids DID migrate to the "better" corps when they wan ted to compete at a higher level. (AND, some "little" corps got better on their own ... such as the Guardsmen, Phantom Regiment, the Des Plaines Vanguard, the Royal Airs).

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

In the early 60s the Black Knights were a strong corps but after 1963 they were replaced in the Illinois Top 4 by the Vanguard.

As Dave says the "lesser corps" in the late 50s and early 60s (Royal Airs and Vanguard) rose in stature and national standing during that time. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen today. Think there are only about 20 DCI Division I corps and this year might reduce that amount further. DCI seems to have only five top programs this year with the Blue Devils, Cavaliers, Cadets again seemingly near the top and Phantom Regiment and Santa Clara close. I haven't seen them this year but it looks like Santa Clara is stronger this year and last than they had been.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone

What years were you a Corps member? Cadets 1959 to 1961 Imperials 1962 to 1966

Carolina Crown is right up there too. At the top, in '08, it's the Blue Devils and Cavies. After that, it's a scramble among those other four, then Bluecoats. Pretty much, same ole, same ole. Thanks, John. Good luck in all your ventures. Always good to have you check in. And fix my local dam(n) dam, will ya!