Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RANKINGS OF DCI CORPS

Have you noticed the new feature on the DCI website? They provide a "ranking" of DCI corps .. based on the current level of scores (both in total and by caption).

It isn't perfect, but it IS interesting. You can see, for example, WHY the Cavaliers are at the top, Visual and drums. On Music, they are on the bottom!

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Re: RANKINGS OF DCI CORPS

Ooops. Scratch that evaluation of the Cavaliers. The rankings today have CHANGED dramatically, due to some later contests. Here come the Blue Devils (again)!

Statistically, over the last ten seasons, the Cavaliers have been the number one corps (based solely on placement in DCI finals over those years). The Blue Devils are a close second. The Cadets, whom I've seen, in person, again this season, are a bit further behind, in third place, over these past ten seasons. Then comes Phanto Regiment in fourth, over that same time span.

This season, it's going to be much the same, apparently, with, I think, 1 and 2 going to the B.D's and the Cavies, in either order. The Cadets, however, might not end up third, this year. Watch for Santa Clara for third. I'd be willing to bet on this... win, place, and show. Pretty much same ole same ole. Come on Pioneer!

It wouldn't be the first time that I've lost on my choices for win, place, and show!

Wow! Suddenly the Cavaliers are ranked #1! They scored an 88 in their last show ... and are now the top of the pack!

The B.D's scored 88 something last night, too. How could that be, Dave. They met, head-on, once, and the BD's won by .525. So... they should be ranked #1, with the Cavies #2. I don't get it.

But then... the first place Chicago White Sox have zero pitchers on the All-Star team, and have only two players on the entire American League squad. Go figger!

How in the heck could the BD's possibly be ranked behind the Cavies in '08, so far? Can't be! Gets me mad.

Impossible to rank them based on scores from different shows and different judges. They must be hoping that the fans are stupid enough to buy this crap. All of us know that there is wide diversity in opinion within the judging community with regard to all the corps. The only other reason that I can think of is to put even more pressure on the judges themselves, who you can bet are reading those ratings, to do "the right thing"....so to speak. It's not like the scores aren't contrived enough as it is....Geez! Let put some more pressure on the judges so they can't make decisions on their own without being second guessed based on a totally bogus ranking apparatus. It's all Horse droppings and more BS propaganda by a group that really thinks they are major league. LOL Right!

What did you do in the Corps? Brass Instructor, Corps Manager

Jerry speaks the truth!

I agree.

You are a wise man, Jerry Davidson. The weird part is that people do buy into this crap. It's to a point where even the DCI website has decided to get into the act of rankings. You'd think that they would've learned a lesson from college football.

The DCI poll is based on the average score of an entire week. Thus if a corps improves greatly in a week, they are punished in the polls. Also, the subjectivity of the judging system has to be questioned as well.

One would think that head-to-head match-ups is the only reliable means of comparing corps, but then again, the "off night" or the amount of changes added to the show that day have to be factored into a corps' score as well. And what about judging biases?

It's better just to take the scores and rankings for what they are worth (not much) and go to the show and enjoy it for what you believe is the truth.

I agree.

Well said Jim!

See you at Cudahy and Racine! Hmmm does Racine still sell beer at their shows?
I don't drink much at all anymore by doctor's orders, but seeing an old friend is a good enough reason to hoist one!

What did you do in the Corps? Brass Instructor, Corps Manager