Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
One-Trick Ponies

We were discussing Argonne Rebels' amazing horn line in the 70s - and their horrible drum line. It got me thinking about other corps that survived by one caption or another.

1972 Bleu Raeders (New Orleans) - their drum line got them into the first DCI finals, but their horn line and marching stunk (their opener was "Camptown Races" - enough said). I think that was Marty Hurley's first major drum line.

1977 Oakland Crusaders (Canada) - they actually won drums in prelims, but the horn line was SO bad that the corps didn't make finals (the only time that I'm aware of that this happened). Tom Float, later Spirit and Blue Devils instructor, taught the line.

1970s Phantom Regiment (Rockford) - placed second three years in a row (77-79) because their drum line was WAY below average. In fact, they didn't produce a good drum line until the past three years or so. The horn line has ALWAYS carried them. Another Marty Hurley "close but no cigar".

And before anyone says Spirit of Atlanta, let me remind you that we tied for first in drums in 1980 with Bridgemen, and the drum line carried the horn line in 1981. I'm just saying...

Anyone think of any others?

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Re: One-Trick Ponies

Yep, I got one. For several years (1961-63) the Imperials had the best cymbal line in the midwest.

Guess who that was!

Larry (who won't claim to have carried the corps, however)

What did you do in the Corps? Drumline

What years were you a Corps member? 1960-1965

THERE'S something I miss - cymbal lines! Madison had a great one in the 50s and 60s with the twirling, and then people started carrying those HUGE 26" in the 70s. Does SCV still use them? They were the last ones I remember having them actually marching on the field.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Remember the year the Cavaliers used 26 cymbals in their show? The guard put down their flags, etc and picked up cymbals. Might have been in The Planets .. can't remember for sure. It was a hoot! They actually did a fine job too.

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

It's difficult to throw Phantom in that list of "one trick ponies" in the late 70s. If one remembers, there were a lot of 'funny' results to shows during those years. I actually after seeing them at the time and listening to the shows on CD believe that Phantom should have won in year that they played that wonderful "New World" show. The eventual winner in that contest had an incredible amount of audible and visual mistakes. Much the same as the year Cadets got the perfect visual score while they had a bunch of people trip over each other and falling down. We really can't base any analysis of them from questionable results from those years. They actually had a competitive enough drum line during those years. Just not the top line. They easily had enough in the other captions to overcome any deficiencies they might have had, at least that year.

What did you do in the Corps? Brass Instructor, Corps Manager

Bob, cymbals are quite prevalent with SCV during the last 3 years, at least. They have at least 4 people carry them, often, and they use them, and flash the heck out of them, too. Its a visual treat. In '06, their program ended with 7 cymbals forming a "V" in the middle of the field. The crowd roared!

I only saw their new program on the computer monitor last night and I didn't notice either way, tho I wasn't looking for cymbals. No other corps has used them more. Sometimes cymbals are the visual centerpiece of parts of their programs. They sure do look big to me. Madison uses them more than any other corps other than the Vanguard.

Correction from my last post. I was actually thinking of 1989 in Kansas City where I personally think Phantom got jobbed and by far had the best performance of the night. I was there and thought so then, and still believe it today. That seemed to be the worst example of how a great corps didn't get the credit deserved for the best performance of the night. Just seemed like a payback win for SC that year, because their best Phantom of the Opera show was a year earlier and they got their lunch handed to them by the judges that year, unfairly. SC was terrific in the semi-finals that year, but was ragged in their finals performance. Way too many audible and visual mistakes to overtake an almost flawless performance by Phantom. There were just way too many inconsistencies in the judging through those years to put that "one trick pony" tag on Phantom. I would have loved to march with any one of those 2nd place corps that Phantom had.

What did you do in the Corps? Brass Instructor, Corps Manager

Jerry, good points. see the new thread on "Surprising results".

Bob, I disagree about the Marty Hurley PR drum lines. They were usually pretty good. Just not as good as the horn line!

It must have been a terrible feeling to be in the drum line of the Argonne Rebels ... knowing that you're holding back one of the greatest horn lines in drum corps!

While it can happen to any corps (one caption weaker than another, or having a weak program but great execution), it must have really hurt here! Of course, I am sure that they tried their best.

Speaking of weak points in a corps... the STAR is another example. Great talent, excellent execution, but (often) a TERRIBLE show. Maybe the Bleu Raiders were another example?