Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ALUMNI CORPS - JUST WONDERING

Haven't heard much about alumni corps so far this summer.

The Cavaliers alumni corps was supposed to give a FIELD show at Michigan City .. but haven't heard any reports on that. The Cavaliers website shows some pictures of their alumni parade corps .. the "Classic Cavaliers" .. in an appearance in WoodDale. They actually look fairly good and large.

What is happening with the Royal Airs? Any appearances? I suppose that the Kilts are (technically at least) NOT an alumni corps. But, how are they doing?

Have any alums seen any other alumni corps this summer?

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Re: ALUMNI CORPS - JUST WONDERING

I talked with a Royal Airs alum, wearing their jacket, at the Naperville show. He said that they are not performing at all in 2008. I didn't ask why. I just told him how much I enjoyed them last year.

My wife and I went to the 4th of July parade in Villa Park. We saw the RA corps there. . . .They looked good (except for out of step members), but heard no music from them. Could see and hear about a block in either direction, so don't know what/if they played, other than their street beat.

What did you do in the Corps? Bass Drum

What years were you a Corps member? '57-'62

Bill is misinformed. RA is alive and well and will be performing at 2 shows on the weekend of the 26th. One in Cudahy, Wisconsin and one in Racine. The corps is growing and getting back into exhibitions at those 2 shows. The shows are senior corps shows and RA will not compete, just put on exhibitions. The corps is not as large as they were, but are over 30 horns when all are present and a decent drum line and color guard which are both growing in size.

What did you do in the Corps? Brass Instructor, Corps Manager

I'll see you at those shows, Jerry (I assume you'll be attending? Are you playing as well?) I'd love for you to see what the 47 year old trumpet player is up to. You can't miss me on the field, I'm the one with the white hair.

I recommend highly for all of you in the Chicago area to check out what senior corps in the midwest has morphed into. It's really diverse and there are six corps in competition this year (Govenaires, Minn Brass, Kilts, Chops, Lakeshoremen, and the Derby City Knights, with the Royal Airs in exhibition). It's alot better than what you used to see for the seniors at DeKalb back in the day.

Here's the links for each show:
Cudahy - http://www.spectaclecity.com/
Racine - http://www.kilties.com/dcashow.html

If you're not in the Chicago area anymore, check out a DCA show in your area.
http://www.dcacorps.org/schedule.html

It isn't as polished as DCI, but it is just as entertaining.

Jim,

I guess it is time that we will finally see each other, talk and have a beer or something after the contest. This will be the first time we have run into each other since Imperials, about 25 years. Yes, I will be there and in uniform with RA for both shows. I hope all that we have on the roster are present, if they are, we will be pretty good for a bunch of old farts. Building a corps back from scratch has been a tough task for those at RA. This is the first time back on the field in a couple years, and about 30 for me as a player, should be fun.
I have to admit, that even though the corps isn't as big as it's reunion corps, the people there are a blast and I am having fun picking up my horn and playing again for the fun of it.

What did you do in the Corps? Brass Instructor, Corps Manager