Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holy Name Cadets

George Hopkins has announced that next year the Cadets of Wherever-They're-From-This-Year will be known as the Holy Name Cadets, in honor of the corps' 75th anniversary.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Re: Holy Name Cadets

Not sure what this really means. Hopkins is such a strange guy.

This might be a great move for the Corps .. keeping the tradition alive with the past, etc.

BUT, the "new" Cadets programs are soooooo strange, they don't bear any resemblance to the historical program values of the Corps.

Wonder what their 2009 program will be????

Nothing Holy about that corps these days. LOL They do play well though.....when they play. The only thing holy is the response of the crowd when they are saying "holy ****, what are they doing out there?"
Hopkins is probably trying to get a head start on the subtle politics for next year since this year has been less successful than he probably thought it would be.

What did you do in the Corps? Brass Instructor, Corps Manager

Jerry .. you are soooooooo cynical!

But, probably right!

Dave, I am cynical ....unfortunately. Maybe something that happens with age one has seen and experienced much in their lifetime. I am truly sorry if my posts come off that way. I just don't see, in reality, much to be optimistic about with regard to DCI, other than their demise. LOL

What did you do in the Corps? Brass Instructor, Corps Manager

Maybe they'll just completely ditch the instruments and simply spend 10 minutes TALKING about their proud history...

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

As much as I disliked the Garfield Cadets of the early to mid-60s, it would be interesting to see the present day DCI band play some of their arrangements and do an old style drill. That would really be recognizing the Holy Name (Garfield) Cadets of the 50s and early 60s.

But this is probably Hopkins way of focusing on next year because this season is in the tank. Maybe next year their show will be an oral history of the Holy Name (Garfield) Cadets with some of the old arrangements played on saxaphones and clarinets.

Or maybe their show could be Hopkins sitting on the field with the 2009 corps sitting in a cirlce around him while he tells the history of the corps and plays some old recordings from the 1950s and 1960s. Sort of like Mr Rogers.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone

What years were you a Corps member? Cadets 1959 to 1961 Imperials 1962 to 1966

Bob and John had some good ideas. I like Bob's especially well .. it would fit in well with their current approach to show design!

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958- 63

Bob and John, you guys are funny!

As for the "Holy Name" being part of their name... as much as I like the idea, I'm not for it. I say this because they have no current connection to their sponsors of old.

I would have been against the name, "Chicago Cavaliers," in this, their 60th anniversary, year, for the same reason. Glad they didn't do that.

Maybe so, Bill. But.. to me, the Cavaliers are the CHICAGO Cavaliers. and the Cadets are Holy Name. Just my memories.

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958- 63

Another idea for George is to not only use the
Holy Name Cadets title but change it to the Garfield
Cadets half way into the season to honor that time
period as well.Just a thought.

It would be nice to hear them play some of the music
from both era's but the way they arrange music these
day's you probably wouldn't recognize it.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963