Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DCI NOT on TV this year?

Haven't been paying a lot of attention. Will the DCI Championships NOT be televised on ESPN this year?

Re: DCI NOT on TV this year?

No Dave. From what I understand the ratings were pretty low and they didn't get sufficient advertisers. It also became apparent to viewers (at least to me) that all we were watching was one big commercial anyway over the past couple of years. I timed it out, and last years broadcast had over 1 hour and 10 minutes worth of commercials and support spots. There was only about 25 -30 minutes of actual performance footage from the show. I think Blue Devils winning performance only got about 5 minutes coverage. Others less. The rest was just filler and introductions of the corps. They obviously forgot the lessons learned on how to produce the show for the audience, like they used to when Bill Cook of Star underwrote and produced the show. At least then we would get the top 6 and cameos of the lower corps.

Remember the time when we saw the full performances of all 12 corps?

What did you do in the Corps? Brass Instructor, Corps Manager

WHAT? They should show the Corps? (The performers?)

Yeah! Silly concept huh???

What did you do in the Corps? Brass Instructor, Corps Manager

The problem is that drum corps isn't the type of thing that channel-flippers are going to stop and watch. And on ESPN, it just didn't fit. Drum corps on TV is watched by drum corps and band people, and they (we) want to see performances.

Where is Gene Rayburn when we really need him?

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

They should go back to having it on PBS it was great you could see the whole show. I must admit the ESPN thing was terriable.

What did you do in the Corps? Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 82-84

And don't forget that there's a lot of money to be made simulcasting to theaters. With no prospect of free video, the theaters become the only game in town. I know they got $40 out of me to go see it in a local theater. Frankly, I was surprised at how well-attended the simulcasts are. They sell out by my house.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare

What years were you a Corps member? 197? - 1979

After watching last year, I could care less. Even if it was a corps entire show. Bring on the bands and military.

I just found this article - I made a comment too

http://www.courant.com/entertainment/movies/hc-muscuta0807.artaug07,0,3795640.story

They placed a picture of someone playing the trombone - You'd think they be a little more accurate.

What did you do in the Corps? Cymbals, Bass Drum, Tenor

What years were you a Corps member? 1980-1983

Jim,

Or maybe it was a look into the future? Did they show a saxophone?

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79