Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DCI 2008

Hey Imperial Alums,
Just got back from Bloomington, IN and I must say that this year's DCI was incredible. I thought last year's show was something, but this year I was amazed by all of the top 17 corps. Any of the top three scoring corps could've walked away with the championship, but the judges agreed with the crowd's favorite, Phantom Regiment. It was great how close it actually was.

A few things I noticed about this year's semis and finals: every corps pushed the limits on the long notes, percussion lines (battery and front line) are taking a bigger role in the music now, the adagio or ballad parts of each show are so much better with the multi-keyed instruments, the visual programs of all the corps have caught up to and in some cases, surpassed the Cavaliers past dominance, and drum corps still makes marching bands look silly.

Now comes the DCA push to the end. I'm looking forward to see how the weekend warriors stack up to what I saw and heard from the kiddie corps.

Re: DCI 2008

From the Blue Devils website forum:

"9:49pm
I have no idea how the Cavaliers do what they do visually, not to mention how their design staff comes up with these incredibly insane drill moves. All I can say is that this year's Cavaliers visual program is reason enough to purchase the 2008 DCI DVD set. There is no way I could possibly explain all of the drill I just saw. I'm not even sure the members or the designers can explain it, it's that wild. What truly is amazing, however, is that, even with all of the movement this corps does, their musical package is still one of the top in DCI. The unique sound the Cavaliers horn line puts out is one they have crafted throughout this decade, while Jim Casella's percussion book is one of the most organically written books I have ever heard. Let's not forget the color guard, with some of the best equipment work of the night." (end of quote)

I respectfully disagree with you, Jim, re the other corps and the Cavies, in 2008, when it comes to M&M. The individual, above, says it all. He wrote this on finals night, Saturday. No corps matches the Cavies... none... when it comes to visual movement, M&M, including in 2008. When it comes to little stuff like drums and horns ... well..... some years they are better than other years, sometimes they're the best, sometimes not... but when it comes to incredible movement... they stand alone... no comparisons... any and every year, including 2008.

Their horn line sounds, in Samurai, are worth listening to over and over and over again... totally different, and clean as could be. Any one of the top 3 corps could have been named champ on finals night and I would have had no argument at all. Best year of drum corps music and design, across the board (all corps)... should I borrow Gibbs' "ever"?

I don't know the technicalities of drum work, but at semis, I was sitting next to a FMM drummer -- I forgot what several corps -- (I even have his phone number, now) and he said that what the Cavies were drumming out there was "impossible." I said, "Really?" He said, "Yep! I know. It is!" I sure can't tell the differences. It's all bang-bang to me, corps after corps. Dave Borck, you're the drum guy... maybe you would know, by watching and listening. Have you seen any of these drum lines? I know Phantom won drums, at finals, and Blue Devils won horns.

I have never heard crowd noise like that which Phantom Regiment aroused at Bloomington, IN. Really something to behold.

Some captions finals-nite results:

Drums: 1) Regiment; 2) Cavies; 3)Bluecoats; 4) Crown; 5) Blue Devils; 6)Cadets.

Horns: 1) Blue Devils; 2)Regiment; 3) Crown; 4) Cavies; 5) Cadets; 6) Bluecoats

Color Guard: 1) Blue Devils; 2) Cavies; 3) Crown; 4) Regiment; 5) Cadets; 6) Vanguard

G.E.: 1) Blue Devils; 2)Regiment; 3) Cavies; 4) Crown; 5) Cadets; 6) Bluecoats & Vanguard

Do you know how the caption winners are decided? It is the average score of all three nights; that's how. Blue Devils would have won the overall championship, as a corps, if they woooda used the same method of scoring to decide the DCI '08 winner.

I guess Saturday night is always game 7 of the World Series, isn't it. No other previous games mean a thing.

Now that Regiment has won, outright, is it Carolina Crown's turn next, DCI? If they have a really good program and execution, next year, watch the fans push for them to win it all, just as they did for Regiment in '08. Actually, that is my fondest wish for '08... go Crown! That would make it 5 different winners in 5 consecutive years. Yeah!

Speaking of Crown... for any of you who saw Crown this summer... have you ever seen a corps march so slow, and sit and blow so much, etc.? I haven't. They got away with it, tho. On the other side of the coin... how about The Cadets really fast pace, while still blowing the heck outa their horns. I love to watch them, each year. I don't think any corps moves as fast, while still tooting constantly, as they do. Such a treat! I woulda picked them 4th, over Crown, if I had a vote; Crown 5th; maybe even Bluecoats 5th.

I have come, more and more, to dislike park and blow, and it seems to be a growing trend with corps now. Boo-hiss! The crowds thrive on it... company fronts, too. There oughta be a rule: once per program, and that's it!

My favorite two segments of horn music in '08 are: Bluecoats blasting out the "Boxer" song by Simon and Garfunkel, and the Blue Devils blasting away at
"If It Takes Forever." I wish I could hear them play that whole song, on a cd or something, without break-ups, which they did in their show, absurdly... this was the idea of their show, tho... to be absurd. Then, there's Crown's and the Glassmen's "Clare de lune" renditions (I butchered the song name here). Madison Scouts' fantastic Latin beats, in '08... I'm wearing out their cd. Man, is it ever good!

Most entertaining, over-all, show of '08: Regiment. Awesome show!

Blue Stars finished 9th. Hard to believe. They were wonderful, and their new uniforms, with the elongated gold shiney star on the fronts, are so very sharp looking. Great use of white, with some dark blue.

What a great drum corps summer it's been! The best thing is (for me) that I get to make all these new cd's from downloading the various corps' music. A year's full os music to play, while driving places... and listening to all kinds of older stuff too, of course. Love that drum corps music!

Most fun to listen to drum work in recent years: Cadets, 2005. Oh my!

Best ballads of recent years: Cadets, 2005... a couple of them. Have ballads started to bite the dust? I've noticed a sharp decline in their use.

Bill, is someone paying you by the word to do these forum posts?

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958- 63

Mark Twain was paid by the word, when he worked for a certain newspaper. Are you gonna pay me, is that it, Dave?

Naaaah... I just need a life!

Twain was asked why he writes using such simple words, constantly. He said he saw no reason to use "metropolis" when he gets paid the same to write "city."

One of these 4 Corps will win DCI FINALS in 2009,
use common sense,the Cavaliers,Blue Devils,Cadets,
or Phantom Regiment.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963

I'm pulling for Pioneer to win in '09; their director, Roman, marched with the Imperials.

Bill,

You are WAY beyond smoking something and obviously into something FAR more dangerous...

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

You don't think the Irish music will win it, Bob?