Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What's this guy been smokin'?!

From dci.org, comes the following: "Blue Devils executive director David Gibbs had many words of praise for his corps, saying, 'We’re the most decorated drum corps in the world.... They’re [B.D] the best performing drum corps with the most unique show that’s ever been put on a football field.'"

1) Who says they're the "most decorated"? Does he know his drum and bugle corps history? I don't think so.

2) Who says they're "the best performing drum corps"? I don't, necessarily, for one, and I was there all 3 nights, too.

3) They put on "the most unique show that’s ever been put on a football field." They weren't even the most unique in 2008, let alone "ever." They might have been 3rd most unique of the corps in 2008... maybe.

What's this guy smokin'?

And here I thought Hopkins was something! Hah!

Re: What's this guy been smokin'?!

Hey Bill this sounds like that other Corps that
wears Green and Black.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963

Sounds like a director trying to hype his corps after losing. So what's the big deal? I think that BD had a great show and should be proud. As should the rest of the field. Scoring is only the opinions of a small minority.

Rich did you read, in contrast, what the Cavaliers director said after the competition? It's on dci.org, too. Hugely different, Rich.

Jim, you say, "Sounds like a director trying to hype his corps after losing. So what's the big deal? I think that BD had a great show and should be proud. As should the rest of the field. Scoring is only the opinions of a small minority."

Hype your corps in private, not on a public domain like that.

I agree 100% with all else you say here.

Bill Bruno is trying to look humble I'm sure he as
well as many other managers or directors would do
the same what BD's director said,but only if they
can back it up and BD can,as well the Cavaliers and
PR.All 3 can jump on this and join in.

The Blue Devils are the most successful corps in DCI history and in my view, their consistently tops any program before or after DCI. So the guy hasn't been smoking anything.

Since 1976 they've never been out of finals and almost always finish in the top 3 (think they had a fifth place once and maybe a couple of fourth places). That is over 32 years. No other corps can claim that consistency, Santa Clara is close as they seem to have always been in the DCI finals but they haven't been contenders for the championship as consistently as the Blue Devils. The Cavaliers weren't that strong in the early years of DCI and neither were the Cadets. Both the Cadets and Cavaliers organizations were "re-invented" before reaching the level they've achieved in the last 15 years. The Blue Devils have been consistent contenters for twice as long.

They are professionally directed. I believe Wayne Downey has been their arranger since 1976 and their founder, the late Jerry Seawright, was a highly respected businessman in the Concord-Walnut Creek Area, who setup their business model. They never seem to have financial issues. I believe they have an endowment (Seawright had a lot of wealthy friends).

Although a lot of their A corps members are from somewhere else, they have a B corps and C corps that have local kids as members plus a couple of other programs for the areas young musicians. So they have perhaps more community connections than any other DCI corps.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone

What years were you a Corps member? Cadets 1959 to 1961 Imperials 1962 to 1966

The Blue Devils are the most successful corps in DCI history and in my view, their consistently tops any program before or after DCI. So the guy hasn't been smoking anything.

Since 1976 they've never been out of finals and almost always finish in the top 3 (think they had a fifth place once and maybe a couple of fourth places). That is over 32 years. No other corps can claim that consistency, Santa Clara is close as they seem to have always been in the DCI finals but they haven't been contenders for the championship as consistently as the Blue Devils. The Cavaliers weren't that strong in the early years of DCI and neither were the Cadets. Both the Cadets and Cavaliers organizations were "re-invented" before reaching the level they've achieved in the last 15 years. The Blue Devils have been consistent contenters for twice as long.

They are professionally directed. I believe Wayne Downey has been their arranger since 1976 and their founder, the late Jerry Seawright, was a highly respected businessman in the Concord-Walnut Creek Area, who setup their business model. They never seem to have financial issues. I believe they have an endowment (Seawright had a lot of wealthy friends).

Although a lot of their A corps members are from somewhere else, they have a B corps and C corps that have local kids as members plus a couple of other programs for the areas young musicians. So they have perhaps more community connections than any other DCI corps.

I have to agree with Mr. Anderson on this one. From the mid 70s on, Blue Devils have been the dominant force in the activity and the most consistent. They have 12 or 13 DCI championships. What other corps can say that. Their brass section annually wins the Jim Ott high brass award, and their drum section has also been a top contender almost every year. Who else can say that?

Mr. Schaefer, I understand your opinion and your right to have it, especially considering your obvious preference for the Cavaliers. But have you ever been a judge or an instructor with a DCI corps, and put into the position of having to make those tough decisions based on the criteria adopted by DCI? If you haven't, then please be a little more understanding with regard to the job that they are charged to do. I would guess that the reason that Gibbs puts the hype out publically on his website and others is probably because his corps, like so many others, spreads to the four winds right after finals. Many of the kids head back home and off to college that same night. It just may be the only way he can communicate his feeling and pride with all of them.

As for Bruno, he should be humble after the way, and it was reported on several websites, his corps acted unprofessionally and mocked BD and Phantom with gestures on the way out to the awards ceremony. The fact that they trooped past Phantom and saluted them doesn't erase what they did earlier in the ceremony. Like someone else said on this message boards, that may have occurred just because they were glad BD didn't win again, even though they beat the Green that night and all other nights with the exception of one contest this year.

My opinion of Cavaliers as performers has been very high and I have had much praise for them in that area. On the field they perform in a consistently high level, recently. However, to act the way they did with their members making throat slitting gestures as they marched past Phantom, and mocking a BD drill move when trooping past BD, is something that I am sure Bruno would rather forget, so naturally he would be in all good conscience forced to be humble.

Also, something to consider. Just maybe Gibbs felt his kids got jobbed at finals and that was his way of defending his troops. They went all the way through the year and only lost once before finals and not at all to Phantom, so based on past practice in DCI with regard to finals scores, he may have been trying to pump up his troops in the only way he felt he could. Drum corps is, as we all know, a very emotional experience. There have been many other directors who have been far more offensive and controversial when commenting on the results of contests in the past. I read what Gibbs said and in my humble opinion I really don't think any of it was out of line. I see nothing wrong or inaccurate with what he said. He said what he believed and in a diplomatic way, rather than a rant.

Lets get over all of this and move on. Phantom is the champion and people are going to comment on the judging for the next year or so. It is part of the beast that DCI has created.

What did you do in the Corps? Brass Instructor, Corps Manager

The several Cavie kids who imitated the two corps did so BEFORE the scores were announced, not afterwards, as indicated in a posting, above.

What Mr. Gibbs says is true from 1976 on, without any doubt. Pre-DCI, he's not accurate; overall, he's not accurate. It really gets me the way that people think that drum and bugle corps started in 1972, or in 1976. All the other years don't count; they never happened. All the VFW and AL Championships for all those previous decades don't even exist. Some people are myopic and/or are wearing blinders and/or wearing a particular colored pair of glasses. Do the cold hard facts bear out this or that statement, made by this or that invidual or individuals? I don't think so. There was drum corps pre-1972 and pre-1976. Honest, there really was.

I will repeat, Mr. Gibbs' corps 2008 show was not the most unique "ever" (his word). It wasn't even the most unique this year, let alone ever.

Each year, people get offended by what all takes place at the BS (Jim's word) that occurs after the competition is ended, at finals. One corps, or the other, or several corps do things that are out of line, in some viewers' eyes. Perhaps DCI should come up with a descriptive decorum guideline that all corps are to follow, for the awards ceremony.

Next item, contrary to what is said in a posting, above, the Blue Devils do not win the top brass award every year.

How about this, from dci.org:

Following their "Spartacus" theme through to the end, Pitts [the Phantom Regiment drum major] reported for the awards ceremony in an unusual way. Speared and usurped as conductor during the finale of Phantom’s field production, Pitts was dragged onto the field for the all-corps retreat, still playing possum, and was left under a death shroud in the middle of the drum major lineup. (end of DCI quote)

How's that for lack of decorum and disrespect! Actually, I and so many others, were fine with it. But, I heard grumblings from some folks around me, as this dragging of the drum major took place. They didn't like it at all. "The drum major should be standing at attention, along with the other drum majors, not lying on the ground," said a man behind me, rather loudly. Such is drum corps, I guess.

I think Mr. Gibbs was speaking super-emotionally, off the top of his head, and in anger. I will say one thing re his corps, and I have said it before, on this forum... even before finals... the Blue Devils deserve to win. Personally, I think they got ripped-off and I think Mr. Gibbs thought so too, and was just rambling off at the mouth. My vote goes to the Blue Devils as the 2008 DCI champion. With that being said, I will repeat, Hail to Phantom Regiment, the 2008 DCI champion, the judges' choice, and the choice of the vast majority of the people in attendance.

well..

1. the corps members DO get to know each other a lot.
2. sometimes people do silly stuff
3. the world will go on anyway!

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Maybe you all would be more happy if they eliminate the retreat. Just read off the "scores" and call it a day. It's really not a part of the competition and usually is just a cluster. It's also a hassle for the performers who performed hours ago. I personally like the drum major only retreats and think the whole corps retreats are unnecessary hype added to an end of a string of great performances.

I wonder, if the kids were given a vote on this, how they would vote.

As a fan, I enjoy seeing all the full corps out there, one last time. And... when all the corps played America The Beautiful, together, to close the awards ceremony, the music was wonderfully deafening. Loved it!

usually true. But, one interesting thing is that the WINNER can have a chance for an encore. That is fun

What years were you a Corps member? 1958- 63

Re the encore, something happened that I had never seen before. In the last two years, about 3/4 of the crowd left before the encore. This time, almost nobody left. The encore is a delight, no matter who the winner is.

another great thing about the "encore" is that the corps might do something different. Stuff not in their normal program. A good example is from the Cavaliers ... for a few years after their 1957 win, they would play their 1957 concert ("Sing, Sing, Sing") as an encore. The crowd LOVED it! Me too.. it was great!

I think that the retreat and encore performances are so ingrained in the tradition of drum corps that they must be maintained. When I marched, I really looked forward to that part of the contest. It was fun doing encores and fun talking to the members of the other corps when we were lined up next to them in retreat. It sometimes was the only contact we had with those individuals or way to meet the competition. It was also an honor to retreat PLAYING as we left the field and passed by the winner and also an honor to salute the competition when we were the winners. It's an important part of the pageantry in my mind.

At the risk of "beating a dead horse", I have to add that from the time the Cavaliers were formed through the 1971 (last season before DCI championship came about and the Legion and VFW Nationals were diminished in stature) the Cavaliers were not the big winners on the national scene over that 23 year period. Blessed Sacrament had more championships (Legion and VFW) and St Vincent's and Holy Name/Garfield had close to the same number as the Cavaliers. The Cavaliers had a good run from 1961 to 1969 and were probably the most consistent corps in that decade. But they didn't have the long term consistency that Concord has demonstrated over a 32 year run. The Cavaliers have only been a real force in DCI since the early 90s and really is a very different organization the of the pre-DCI era.

I don't recollect any drum corps organization that has sustained the level of excellence of the Blue Devils over a 32 year period. I've also been following them since I first saw them win DCI in 1976 and since I moved to the Bay Area in 1984 have had the pleasure of seeing them perform and practice a number of times for about 25 years. I also don't recollect ever hearing of them acting like the Cavaliers during this recent DCI. That kind of stuff is a reflection on the management of the corps and the fundamental values of the organization and might be something their corps director needs to address for the next season.

I agree and much of that success for Blue Devils has to be attributed to consistency of the staff and management. The Blue Devils signature section is the brass and you have to credit Wayne Downey for that success. He has been there from the time before they made finals. Also, Jerry Seawright was a master organizer and left them with a very very successful management and financial model to follow.

As for the antics of Cavaliers during retreat, I don't really have much more to say. I agree that it shows a management problem, but that problem has been there for ages. Even when Don Warren was director they showed a lack of decorum at times when losing. I think they just don't handle losing well, like some other organizations.

The thing is that the antics of the few Cavalier kids happened BEFORE any scores were announced, not afterwards. So, they didn't even know who won or who lost, at the time. They were fooling around when they first entered the designated area for their corps to stand... as they entered, not later on. There just is no set decorum for that time of the program; various corps do various things... even within the same corps, some times. It seems to be loosey-goosey time; nothing's highly organized about it. I still don't know if they meant any harm at all by goofing around. I think that the kids know the kids more than we realize they do, and, like kids, they kid each other. I don't know. Does anyone know. In any case, there were 100+ Cavaliers out there (or so), and it was a very few who goofed around, and it was brief. The Cavies and some of the other corps never once came to a position of attention. They, and others, were casual in their stance, and chatted, etc. Maybe someone in the know could explain the situation because so far it's not really been explained by anyone who really knows. It is a rather unstructured time of the day's program. I would make these same comments no matter who the corps was. Oh well.

Jerry, you say, "I think they just don't handle losing well, like some other organizations." If anyone didn't know how to handle losing, the comments by the Blue Devils director (on the DCI website), was sour grapes all the way. He showed no graciousness to any other corps, including the winners, and blew his own horn (including inaccurate "fact"). Talk about not losing well!

If this horse ain't dead, I think it nearly is. I'm done with this thread.

New topic?

Bill, with all due respect to you, it seems that you are trying to be an apologist for the Cavaliers. It really doesn't matter when they did those antics, it's the fact that they did them at all that we are speaking of. It should have never happened. You keep on defending them and they were wrong, plain and simple. I also have heard of no really offensive comments made by Blue Devils in regard to Phantom Regiment or their win. If you go to their forum, you will see an amazing amount of positive and supportive comments with regard to Phantom Regiments and all of the corps shows and performances that night.

I find it interesting that out of the many DCI corps website that I visited in the last couple of days, The Cavaliers website is the only one that doesn't recognize or congratulate Phantom Regiment for their championship on their website front page. Blue Devils site clearly congratulates Phantom for an outstanding performance and winning the championship. So does the SC site and the Cadet site. Really, all I have seen on the Cavie site is them trying to sweep their actions under the rug on their forum, not an acknowledgement that they lost to a corps that was also extremely good that night and congratulate them in any way publically for their championship. They just list the scores. Whoopty Do!

I also noted that the Blue Devils site has congratulations to the Santa Clara Cadet corps for winning their class. Those two organizations are long term rivals. The Blue Devils B corps lost to Santa Clara by about 0.050. So we have an organization that lost two championships by less than 0.1 and they still headline their site website with congratulations to the corps that won.

Ok, ok..... I can't resist.

I went to the B.D. website. It is in their forum that a few contributors congratualate the other corps, not on the website's front page or whatever.

Also, a lot of forum contributors rip the heck out of the B.D. for THEIR behavior, and for choking, and all kinds of stuff. Overall, it is a very negative site... so much so that Dave (apparently director Gibbs) closed down three of the threads for abuse paragraphs about the B.D. Why would you send me to their site; it's not pleasant there!

This is what one contributor says on the B.D. forum:

"When the Cavies came in, some of them were doing flips. Others were pretending to be walking a tight rope. It was fairly obvious. Also, I thought that the screamers were coming from the Bluecoats block, but who knows.

But seriously, for those of you not very familiar with Finals retreat, most corps have made it more of a tradition to screw around on the field because it's the last time that you're going to be with that group of people. Why NOT have fun? I mean, Crown even participated in the wave with the crowd before scores were announced. Scouts' basses hung out in the back end zone until they were forced to leave by a DCI official. ALL of the corps members were cheering for their respective corps when they showed the video montage. It was a big cluster, and that's what makes it finals retreat.

Crossmen '02-'03
& a whole bunch of WGI"

Another contributor says...

"Quoted for truth.

However, last night I did see the director of BD in a 5-10 second interview on the Video on DCI.org's news article for Phantom's win and he seemed a bit bitter. I just went back to see it again for this discussion and its gone. Maybe when he basically brushed off the loss and said something similar to saying that they didn't need the win, because 'We're the most decorated corps in Drum Corps International' he realized that may have seem a bit of a knee jerk, harsh reaction and he asked for them to take it down. That clip isn't on the video now.
Patuxent HS - Lusby, MD | Fall '06
Huntingtown HS - Huntingtown, MD | Fall '07
Project PIW - Pittsburgh, PA | '05 - Cymbals"

There is plenty more such stuff on that site. Thank you, but I'll stick with the sites that I frequent, you may have your B.D. site.

Jerry, I totally disagree with you, here.

I said it before and I'll say it again... whatever you might think that some of the Cavies kids did so wrong I do not think badly of... no matter what corps it was! I was there; it was no big deal at all! The kids' idea of what that finals night "retreat" is is waaaaay different from what you guys remember it being, decades ago. I will bet you all the notes in corpsdom that the kids see absolutely nothing wrong with what they do down on that field.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: 1) It is a rather loosey-goosey atmosphere for the kids, down on the field, and 2) If it's so bad (those awful disrespectful kids!), let DCI and the directors of all the corps come up with definite decorum guidelines for that particular event.

What that part of the night means to you is not even slightly the same as what it means to today's drum corps kids, whether we like it or not, whether we agree with them or not, or whether it's this or that or not, and so on. I have no problem, whatsoever, with watching the "retreat" program. (I'm sure no one calls it that anymore, btw.) Actually, if I'm the only one saying it, so be it... it is pretty cool watching the kids finally relax and have some fun down there.... The atmosphere is not so much a collection of a dozen corps as it is a fraternity/sorority of drum corps participants, almost as one big massive corps. When they all come to attention, finally, and play "America The Beautiful," at the end of the awards ceremony ("retreat"), it is really wonderful. THAT is the ONLY time that all 12 corps are serious and come to attention as a whole. Very nice.

What I saw down there, in each of the past three years, is a lot of tired, stressed-out marchers, relaxing together, kidding around, hugging a lot (within each corps and with other corps' members), and so forth. Just awful behavior! At a "retreat" yet! Gracious! What's gonna become of this world! Such an awful generation of youth we have on our hands!

Well, opinions, opinions, opinions......

From the B.D. website forum, also:

"Re: Blue Devils, Sore Losers! [Re: Divalish]
kevin_fu

Loc: Southern MD Originally Posted By: Divalish1.

1. I wasn't so sure that it came from the BD block.

2. Who knows why they did that. They might have just been having some fun. It doesn't have to be because they're sore losers. If you listen to other mass brasses, there's a lot of crap coming from a lot of horns. As much as it sucks, not everyone takes it so seriously - ESPECIALLY on Finals night.

3. I'm surprised nobody [on this B.D. website] mentioned the fact that when the Cavies got into their retreat block, they appeared a little...'absurd'. Cracked me up. Plus, they were the only corps to troop Phantom and congratulate them/shake hands with them after being dismissed.

Moral of the story: don't be so quick in drawing conclusions about an organization." (end of quote)

Actually, folks, I (Bill) thought that what those several Cavies kids did was kind of a tribute to several other corps, and NOT at all meant in any kind of derogatory manner. (I guess it is still called "retreat," by some, after all.) It surely isn't the retreat that I saw when I saw my first drum corps competition, in 1954. It's a bit different now, folks! All I know is that these present-day kids love it! Maybe even as much as you did... who knows.

Also, in reality, I was as proud, or moreso, of the Cavaliers behavior at that finals retreat as any other corps present, contrary to what you might be saying. And, I was proud of all those kids down there, in all the corps. It was a cool awards program, indeed.

Most importantly... One of the worst things that we can do in trying to understand each other (as people) is to ASSIGN MOTIVES to other people's behaviors. And I think that some people have done just that about the kids' behaviors down on the field. We have told ourselves, and even convinced ourselves, what THEIR motives are, for their perceived actions. How in the heck do we know?!

Also, from the B.D. website:

"Re: Blue Devils, Sore Losers! [Re: Tetsuo]
CarrollDrummer

Loc: USA

forgive my ignorance, but what happened? ( i swear im not being stupid, but i didnt see anything.) maybe i just didn't watch the video enough"

THE RESPONSE, FROM ANOTHER CONTRIBUTOR:

"Re: Blue Devils, Sore Losers! [Re: CarrollDrummer]
9Volt

Listen right away, note when everyone is laughing, and the high brass is just screaming, and went past the cut off. Thats what were talking about, every corp was doing something like that, or randomly smashing notes out." (END OF TWO QUOTES)

Oh my! Such terrible behavior. Can you believe that?! Those kids and those corps should be ashamed of themselves... all of them. And laughing at each other, yet! Shameful! Such disrespectful behavior, at "retreat," yet! Can you imagine! What has drum and bugle corps come to, anyhow! God! Doubly shameful!!

And, lastly, from the B.D. website, a FMM says that the Blue Devils kids were not sore losers, as the corps had been accused of, on the website. He says:

"Re: Blue Devils, Sore Losers! [Re: Nex]
Toe

Loc: Miami, Fl

Having BEEN at Finals retreat, and having a ton of friends thathave marched at Devs, Iknow for a fact this type of stuff happens.

They do it for fun, because they won't be getting into trouble, and because lets face it...The corps do NOT like playing America O'Canada at the end of retreat. They want to get the scores and GTF out of there. Say their good-byes and go home.

In 2002, I was involved in the Bass Walk with Glassmen's and Crossmen's basslines. Took us about 25 minutes to get from the tunnel to our blocks.

This stuff happens every year. It's not being sore losers..I'm sure they woulda done the same thing had they won." (end of quote)

We, adults, do assign motives to the kids, very well, don't we! Sad. Very sad.

Ok... I see it now, on the B.D. web page, top... left side (sorry I missed it before):

"Blue Devils Amazing World Championship Performances
Congratulations Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets and Phantom Regiment on being crowned World Champions for 2008"

Very nice. Each corps would be gracious to post the same type of thing.

I, just now, saw this on the Cavies forum. It's from their director.

"by: Bruno Zuccala (Staff Member, Former Marching Member)
Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 2:47 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First of all, Thanks to Everyone that helped make the 2008 Cavaliers a successful. We could have not done it without you.
I have to respond to the finale inferences made towards our members. The Hornline DID NOT intend to disrespect any of our competitors. They have been taught ALL season long to portray a Samurai Warrior. In their way, they carried it out to the last minute. They were ACTING and SAVORING that role to the last possible minute ONLY. WE were the only Corps to acknowledge the winners and our gestures as we passed by them were sincere. The Cavaliers have many friends in the Phantom Regiment and The Blue Devils. The hang out at school and after shows so please STOP the bashing. On Friday night, The Cavaliers stood by and applauded the Blue Devils as they passed by after their performance. The competition was stiff, but it never gets in the way of our friendships and colleagues from other Corps. Sorry to inform you, this Drum Corps Generation does not get wrapped up in that sort of negative gesturing. Please reconsider your judgments because that was not the intent. Bruno"
(END of quote)

AND......

"Posted by: D. Scott Heister (Former Marching Member)
Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 4:08 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you Bruno,
I talked to someone closely related to Rick (PR Director) and they said that The Cavaliers showed the utmost class and respect to the Regiment and were very appreciative of how The Cavaliers treated Phantom as they left the field by congratulating the members. There was never talk of PR feeling any disrespect by the corp on the field at retreat... the only comments they had were that The Cavaliers showed the utmost class and it was appreciated by PR!"

WHAT HAVE WE ALL BEEN SMOKIN'?!

You guys got me looking at other corps' websites, which I have not done since the off-season, around Christmas time.

From Phantom Regiment's website, an official statement:

"Phantom Regiment congratulates all the corps for a terrific season, but especially the Blue Stars for their return to the top 12 for the first time since 1979 and Blue Devils, Cavaliers and Carolina Crown for the tremendous shows they had all summer long.

And a special thank-you to the Cavaliers for their kind gesture of congratulations after the show."

From the Cavies fans forum (the main forum), something for us all to learn from:

"Posted by: Mike Skowronski
Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 5:40 PM

------------------------------------------------------

And lastly, to shed some light on what happened on Saturday. I had a 'transportation situation' and could not be in the stands for the final scores. Instead, I stood at the back gate where the corps congregated and entered the field. (Don't know what would of happened if the boys in green would have won...I would have run back in the stadium and my ride would have to wait!) Anyways, to shed some light on this...I was entertained being on the backside while all 12 corps congregated. It was hilarious! Kids, singing, chanting, saying stupid things (what a shock! HA HA), visiting between corps, etc. As a long time high school educator who have been around kids of this age most of my professional life, here's how I saw it: What happened after the shows were completed was a celebration of life! It was a celebration of a hard summer coming to and end...with lots of kids letting off steam. Instead of being in the stands reading into people's actions down on the field, I learned a lot of their mindset standing near them on this night....and it had nothing to do with anybody worried about who was going [to] win....and who was going to disrespect who. Please....if this opportunity ever arises for anybody, take advantage to doing what I did. You'll learn a lot about what drum corp is all about."

Yikes!

I guess everybody's smokin' somethin' or other! All kinds of different weeds, I guess. Different strokes for different folks. Ahhhh, drum corps... can't beat it!

Finale and Retreat were a few of the things we looked forward to. For Finale, we were always the smallest corps in numbers, but we would stretch ourselves out as much as possible so Bob Olsen (Contra), or John Haliotis (Contra) would be the very last person coming through the gate even though the other corps' were 3 times our size. we one that "Contest" every time.

What did you do in the Corps? Cymbals, Bass Drum, Tenor

What years were you a Corps member? 1980-1983

I have been meaning to respond to you, Dave, about The Cadets having a congratulatory item on their home page of their website, for Phantom Regiment. You say they did (do), but they did not (do not). Instead, it is on the Holy Name Cadets ALUMNI website (very different from YEA's "The Cadets" modern day junior corps) that this is posted on their home page. Finally, I can sleep at night.

John,
I think I remember reading somewhere that the Blue
Devils were organized in the 50's.I'm not sure
if was a history of the Corps or some other
article I seen.Correct me if I'm wrong.

Bill, you should read more carefully. Regarding the
"congratulations" postings, I said:

"The Holy Name Cadets (alumni) have also done so."

NOT the (DCI) Cadets

whoops! sorry.

It is my understanding that the Blue Devils Drum and Bugle Corps started in 1970. There was a drum and bell corps before that. I don't know when that started but there was a non-drum corps organization before 1970. That may have gone as far back as the 50s when Concord and Walnut Creek CA were small communities.