Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WHAT IF DRUM CORPS WAS AN OLYMPIC EVENT?

Here we are, watching lots of Olympic coverage. Often great fun and interesting. Except table tennis

But, what would it be like if DRUM CORPS became an Olympic (team) event?

Comments? Projections?

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958- 63

Re: WHAT IF DRUM CORPS WAS AN OLYMPIC EVENT?

As I understand it, the USA would win the first 25 places, at least, as drum corps is now, throughout the world.

The appropriate response is perhaps "What have these guys been smoking?" You also have to remember that only one group would represent the US not 20. So only one "team" would be competing. It would be judged by a panel of international judges and not the DCI judges. So there's a good chance that the winner wouldn't be from the US. Drum Corps World Champion from India or China?

Also, except for gymnasts most of the Olympic participants are over 21. So DCA is in the mix as well. Also, in many sports the Olympic team members are now professionals. One of my son's former high school baeball teamates, Jeff Stevens, is a pitcher for the USA baseball team. He's 24 years old, and is a AAA pitcher in Cleveland's system.

Drum Corps is also a US activity. Two US sports are being eliminated. Women's softball is being eliminated at the Olympics because the US team is too dominant. Baseball is being eliminated because the US major leagues won't shutdown their season for two weeks so that the world's best baeball players can compete (this impacts US, Latin American, Korean and Japan talent).

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone

What years were you a Corps member? Cadets 1959 to 1961 Imperials 1962 to 1966

a lot of truth in Johns posting, but remember that there are also drum corps in England, Germany, the Netherlands, Canada and Japan.

At finals, I talked with a lady from England (all 3 days, on and off), whose daughter was in the US to do colorguard with the Blue Stars. She said that even the best of corps in England would truly struggle with the Open Class (smaller corps), here in America. She said that all of the European corps just cannot compete with American corps, especially the World Class corps. She said that America's top 8 corps, at least, are all better than any corps anywhere in Europe without a doubt. She said that if they could compete, they'd show up for DCI finals in the US, but they cannot and they know it. She said that the corps in England watch dvd's of American corps just to get an idea of what to do, but they are nowhere near the caliber of the US corps.

She said that her daughter absoultely loved being here with the Blue Stars, that she was having a ball all summer.

Well, I know that a lot of "non-US" corps are at lower performance levels, but I didn't know it was that bad.

Too bad, because the Olympic Committee would stop such "unfair" competitions. Like they are doing with women's softball, because "the US is too dominant"!

It apparently it is good to be good, but bad to be "too good". If you are, they change the rules and go home.

When I was coaching basketball (3+ decades), the band director at the high school, who ended up there for 40 years, once said to me: "You never wanna have a great year, then people expect more of that; you never wanna have an awful year, then people scream and hollar. Just stay in the middle and no one will say a word!"

There was a corps from Holland at finals, and for some weeks before, too. They did not fare well when they were performing with the open class (smaller) corps. The same held true for the corps from Japan, last summer.

These corps get smashed over here. I've seen them; they're ok, but do not compare. They get a big hand from the crowds (of course), which is very nice.

Would the USA enter an "all-star team" drum corps, or what?

Hopkins would be the Olympic corps director, right?

Yes, that is a role for which he would be well suited!

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Anything that gets him out of DCI would be fine with me!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

amen to that!

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

I would think it would be better if he took the Cadets to Iran or Russia. They could represent one of those countries in the Olympics.

Iraq would have been a good place when one of Sadam's sons was the head of their Olympic organization.

Of course this won't come about until the Olympics adds sports like ballroom dancing, pool, bowling and maybe poker.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone

What years were you a Corps member? Cadets 1959 to 1961 Imperials 1962 to 1966

Just wondering - if the Middle East Terrorist Corps would they try to outdo each other at the end with "the big bang" ending - and have the whole corps blow up? We could judge them on the loudness and color of the explosion. Tenths of point deducted for leaving remnants on the field and damage to the grass and audience. The Taliblasters...

What did you do in the Corps? drum

What years were you a Corps member? 60-69

John, you have a twisted sense of humor.

Actually there are a few things I would like to see as Olympic events:

Rifle toss
Sabre Toss
Roller Derby
Dodgeball
Marco Polo
Tag
Rock/Paper/Scissors
Belly Flop / Canon Ball (The bigger the splash, the higher the score)
Board Game All-Around (Chess, Connect 4, Battleship, Risk, Monopoly, Bachgammon)
Shuffleboard
Miniature Golf
Crickett
Rugby
Croquette
Horseshoes
16 inch softball
pogo Stick
Thumb Wrestling

What did you do in the Corps? Cymbals, Bass Drum, Tenor

What years were you a Corps member? 1980-1983