Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Just Had To Say Something

While shopping in Staples last night, saw a father with his two daughters. The guy was wearing a Cavie shirt. I asked if he did the Alumni Corps and he replied that he did. I asked what years he marched with the Corps - early '70's. He asked when I marched. '60-'69 with Norwood. He replied in the most sarcastic tone; "I'm sorry." All I could do was shake my head and walk away. What a great example for the girls.

What did you do in the Corps? drum

What years were you a Corps member? 60-69

Re: Just Had To Say Something

And people wonder why so many of us dislike anything to do with Cavaliers.

What did you do in the Corps? Drum Major and Baritone

Steve
I totally agree with you on this.They and I mean
probably the majority of Cavaliers I have
encountered during my years in Norwood and even
after I left had that same attitude towards you
and we weren't the only Corps that was in that
group either.

They made you think that their you what didn't
stink.It probably hasn't changed today.That's
just one reason I still have a problem with that
whole orgainization.

I'm sure someone will come along and try to defend
them,or again try to make excuses for one reason
or another.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963

I have some pretty good friends who marched or taught the Cavaliers, but as a whole, I don't have anything good to remember about them. They have always been the most arrogant group in the activity. Not many members from opposing corps have ever liked them. I know it's unfair to lump them all together, but it's sad that so many people feel the same way about that corps and have had similar experiences as that described above.

What did you do in the Corps? Brass Instructor, Corps Manager

I KNOW ya'll have been waiting for my response...

And I apologize for whoever that person was (since you said early 70s, I probably know him). It was a jerky thing to do. I have found that there are two distinct groups within the Cavaliers, and this year's alumni group brought BOTH of them out strong. Just trust me - they (we) aren't ALL like that, but there are certainly enough to warrant your feelings towards them. That remark was totally unwarranted.

Winning ofte brings out the worst in people. The only thing I would disagree with is that this is exclusively a Cavalier thing. From what I hear from people within the corps, the Blue Devils are MUCH worse. But I only know what I've heard.

Again, I'm sorry for whoever that was.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

There must be a hell, just for guys like that one. What a rectal foramen (hole)!

Speaking strictly for myself, in these last 4 years of being a very active drum corps fan, I've not experienced any of this anti-corps (plural) stuff, or arrogance, from any of the Cavaliers alumni. But, that's just been my personal experience. I have been at one or two of their functions each year and I have never witnessed any corps bashing or anything of the like. In fact, when I tell folks that I was a Norwood Park Imperials fan, til they folded, I get zero negativism and, ususally, either a positive comment or a rather glowing response about the Imperials. This is especially true of Don & Jan Warren.

As for the 2008 version of Cavaliers, I was there when they marched single file, instruments in hand, hats on, in full uniform, thru the ranks of Phantom Regiment to individually congratulate them, down on the field, after scores were announced. It was a stirring moment for those of us who saw it. If anything, many of us felt that the Cavies were the ones on fire and might well have surprised the Blue Devils that night. The corps must have felt the same way and had to be disappointed. Yet, they did this non-arrogant public gesture. I think that that speaks loudly for the LACK OF ARROGANCE of the PRESENT DAY Cavaliers corps.

As for me, personally, I think every corps sucks, big time, except The Cavaliers.

Bob,one of my best friends was aCavalier - Tom Walker - great guy 72 going on 14! Speaking of the Alumni Corps - did Chuck Johnson, Al Pacer or Doug (a tenor drummer in the '60's) march?

Cool topic. I've found that the Cavaliers are like Notre Dame University. You either love em' or hate 'em.....No middle ground. I Have many friends that performed in the Cavie Alumni Corps and I was cheering them on from my Basement the night of DCI Semis, (I bought the internet broadcast....they had a terrific performance.)
As a guy that did the Royal-Air Alumni stint I must say that we did listen to many many hours of old drum corps while sitting around eating and drinking. I can say WITHOUT RESERVATION that I have NEVER heard anyone request that a Cavalier tune be played. In fairness, Norwood was seldom requested too. The 60's Cavaliers played it very very safe, or dare I say ...BORING. Their 60's drummers carried em. Today, IMO, the Cavie guard and drill carries that corps. The present day (07-08) Cavie horns (dynamically) are not in the same solar system as the Blue Devils, Phantom or the Cadets. Re: the drumline...I don't know drums! Just my opinions... for whatever they are worth..

What did you do in the Corps? Soprano

What years were you a Corps member? Cadtes 61-62...Imperials 63-67

Bill, your comments sound about right. The 1960s Cavaliers staff knew how to design a show which would WIN according to the rules of the day. And, yes, their drums (and marching execution) carried them in those days.

They are pretty good it it now too. Cavaliers drums are generally at the top of the pack, as is Blue Devils line (normally, but not this year, it appears).

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958- 63

Bill, your analogy with Notre Dame is a very accurate one, I think. I, for one, hope that ND goes 0-300 in all sports combined, every year, and I hope the Cavies go undefeated every year, unless one of the non-big-four corps could win it all, e.g. Carolina Crown, Bluecoats. So, yes, I do know what you mean. It's love em or hate em, same as with ND. I have a reason or two for not being a ND fan, from personal experience as an college ex-athlete, and moreso, as a college sports fan. It has been much of their fandom that has aggravated me, not the athletes.

I also THINK, as you indicate, that the Cavies color guard helps carry them almost every year. As for marching movement, no one compares, year in and year out, no matter where the corps, as a whole, finishes. Their maneuvers are nasty-difficult and they carry them out flawlessly... sometimes while actually tooting and banging. ha ha ha

I know, for a fact, that two years ago, they were voted, by the judges, as the number one brass line in DCI.

As for consistency, or lack thereof, I'm not sure how they stack up in drums and brass, but I do know that they are always in the top 4 in both, year in and year out. In fact, it seems to me, often in the top 2 or 3 in drums and brass, actually. I'm not sure how they compare with the corps you mention, year in and year out, regarding this, in recent years.

One of the reasons that they are not liked is their success, over the years, in total. No corps has ever won more individual contests than they have, I have read. I don't know if this is valid.

In order to be accurate on all this stuff, one would have to carry out a rather exhaustive study of it all. Otherwise, we are talking off the tops of our heads, without REALLY having any concrete factual knowledge to back up what we say. It "seems that" the Cavies (or any corps, for that matter) is carried by this or that might well not prove out in factual studies of the past. They might well be in the top few, all time, in regards to TOTAL national and DCI championships, combined... counting VFW, AL, and CYO, etc., as well as DCI. But, it seems, drum corps never existed til 1972, and, to some, it never existed til 1976. Maybe their success has been attributable to their color guards and their movement on the field, more than for any other reason; I don't know.

It's all guess-work, until studied. I guess your guess is as good as mine. So, you're right, until proven otherwise... I guess.

Bob Shrefflers' comments are also valid. It is important to remember that there are "jerks" in ANY organization. Maybe the Cavaliers had MORE than the average, due to their winning habits, their history and the people they attracted.

Anyway, most of the time we pretty much ignored them. They weren't very interesting (even though they won).

The Imperials do enjoy pleasant remarks from those who remember them, I have found. People say nice words about this corps. You must have not beaten many other corps, in national championship competition.

Just kidding.

Why didn't you ask him why he was sorry? Maybe he had remorse because our corps folded. Maybe he couldn't hear you. Maybe he WAS a jerk and needed to be straightened out. Ignorance is not a Cavalier trait and that dude sounded ignorant, but maybe he was just misunderstood.

Next time, punch the guy in the mouth and tell him you've been wanting to punch a Cavalier for a long, long time... and be done with it.

Jim, if you heard the guy's tone, you would have known why I didn't waste the time. Bob S is right - there are jerks in any organization.

No, Jim Snyder's response is better.

Cavaliers.

There is one main reason that I like The Cavaliers, and it is that when the Imperials folded, there was no one. So, I looked for another Chicago (area) corps. Not a lot to choose from!

I vividly remember the green guys, from when I was a kid, watching the shows. I (secretly) liked to watch them; I remember liking their uniforms, too. They were the bad guys back then, the archrivals, it seemed.

Since I wanted to continue to follow a Chicago corps, still, I had to choose between the Cavies, and the Cavies, and the Cavies, and the Cavies, and the Cavies, and the Cavies, and the Cavies. So, I chose to follow the Cavies, the Chicago corps... from my home town... and I liked that they started as a Boy Scout troop, too.

That's it. Go Chicago!

I like Jim's response (above), too... ask the guy why he says that.

Bill, the Cavaliers aren't aren't what they WERE! They are what they are! They are no from Chicago than Santa Clara or Phantom Regiment are!

Their office is along Chicago's Kennedy X-way, on the way to O'Hare, actually in Chicago. They hold their events (parties, celebrations, etc.) in Rosemont, which is on the Chicago-side of O'Hare. All of their pre-season (June) practices days are spent in the Chicago area, not in California, or Rockford, or Pennsylvania, Dave. Their biggest show of the year, each year, "Cavalcade of Brass," is held in the Chicago area, not in California, or Rockford, or Pennsylvania. On the 4th of July, The Cavaliers march in three parades, each year, all in the Chicago area, ALWAYS, Dave. Their history is Chicago, as is their present... not California, or Rockford, or Pennsylvania. In 2005, their entire program was entitled "My Kind of Town (Chicago)," a tribute to their home town, as they put it. They said it was a tribute to the corps' roots and their present, as well. For 60 consecutive years, they have been in the Chicago area in these ways... and nowhere else but Chicago.

Hey Dave, where did they just hold their 60th Anniversary Banquet a few weeks ago? You tell me, Dave!

Bill, except for bad typing on my part, I was talking about their MEMBERS! I know where their offices are, etc.

The Cavaliers are one million percent more Chicago than is any other corps. Therefore, they are my corps... until they prove to me that they don't deserve it.

None of the corps get their kids from any one place; we all know that. However, those kids know, darn well, that Chicago is their summer home. The Cavies make sure of that.

The announcer says, "... from Rosemont, Illinois, The Cavaliers!" That's the closest thing to Chicago that I know of, of all the corps. I hope they win DCI every year for the next 200 years. Go Chicago!

When the Cavies go the way of the Imperials, I will be a fan of the only remaining Illinois corps. Til then, that corps is my second favorite. The Chicago area corps is my first favorite. When both IL corps fold (Phantom came close after '07), I go to my third favorite, the Madison Scouts. I grew up enjoying midwest corps, and to this day, they have my loyalty, and my thanks, too, FOR NEVER LEAVING (going to PA, or some other place)! Go Chicgo! Go Illinois! Go Midwest!

Dave, from what area are most of the Vanguard fans at DCI finals? From what area are most of the Regiment fans? And the Cavies fans?

Answers: CA, Rockford, Chicago and burbs.

They are, therefore, the Santa Clara (California) Vanguard, the Rockford Phantom Regiment, and the Chicago (area) Cavaliers. Then there are the Chicago Cubs, the Chicago White Sox, the New York Yankees, the Los Angeles Dodgers, and so on. Who cares where their participants are from?! They REPRESENT those towns, in the public's eye.

If there is any one corps that REPRESENTS Chicago in the public's eye, it is The Cavaliers... not the Vanguard, Phantom Regiment, or any other corps. The Cavaliers represent Chicago and the Chicago area in the fans' eye. Wish the Imperials did, but they don't; the Cavies do. The end.

I really doubt that many Santa Clara fans or Blue Devils fans are from Santa Clara and Concord, respectively. Most drum corps people can't aford to live in Santa Clara unless they can pay $800,000 for a 1100 sq ft house (that's after the recent price decline). Except for their B-corps the kids all come from somewhere else. Some might be from California but they're from central valley, Sacramento or SoCal. The Central Valley compared to the Bay Area is as different as Des Moines is from Chicago. All these places are more than 100 miles from the Bay Area. In fact Concord is about 40 miles from Santa Clara.

More than 40 percent of the kids in the Blue Devils are from somewhere else (including Chicago).

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone

What years were you a Corps member? Cadets 1959 to 1961 Imperials 1962 to 1966

Rich Biver, Steve Kas and Bill Blomquist pretty much summed up my feelings on John T's experience.

With regard to Notre Dame, I will even admit to rooting for the USSR basketball team when they played Notre Dame in an exhibition game (about 30 years ago). I also am not unhappy about the present state of their football team. I expect that when their present TV contract runs out with one of the major networks, they'll have difficulty being selected for a national NCAA broadcast. I believe NBC has moved their broadcasts to CNBC for what remains of the contract.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone

What years were you a Corps member? Cadets 1959 to 1961 Imperials 1962 to 1966

With all that has been said by myself and others, I felt that I had to once again qualify something. I DO have some very good friends who either marched in Cavaliers or taught them. The arrogance described in the original post is not representative of all Cavaliers, just a loud small percentage who do their fellow alumni or present corps members a disservice with their unwarranted comments.
More over, EVERY corps has a percentage of jerks who make comments like that and bring dishonor on the organization that they represent or for formerly represented. That's just a fact of life. The fact that a person has pride in their corps is admirable, however their personal acts speak volumes about their character, wither good or bad. My best friend marched with the Cavaliers and we have never once exchanged a single unflattering word about each others corps in our many conversations. I wish all people felt that way and showed more respect for ALL corps big or small, good or not so good.

What did you do in the Corps? Brass Instructor, Corps Manager

Bill Bloomquist, in regards to the Cavies possibly not having any drums (see above), this year, Phantom's drum line was first; the Cavies drum line was 2nd.

The ways things "seem" to be often is not reality. This is a good case in point. The Cavies drums and brass are always up there, among the leaders, year in and year out. I am not so much talking about the Cavies here as I am about the way things seem to be to individual fans... reality often does not match the way we might think things are.