Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Drum Corps Theatre

Today's activity would be more fittingly called Drum Corps Theatre, not simply Drum Corps. The theatre aspect is now huge, as was so well demonstrated at finals two weeks ago. I, for one, would not mind the new name at all. It is what it is... drum corps theatre. I enjoy it.

Re: Drum Corps Theatre

Before you started participating in the Forum there was a discussion about call DCI something else. "Performance Art" might have been one suggestion. Probably was two or three years ago. Dave or Larry might remember and it might still be back in the topic list.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone

What years were you a Corps member? Cadets 1959 to 1961 Imperials 1962 to 1966

I was on this forum then; I remember the discussions. It truly is a theatrical performance, some corps more than others. It is theatre.

If you want to see drum corps theatre, watch the dvd of Phantom Regiment's 2008 program. The SECOND that they enter the field, the theatrics begin, and it never ends, including the way that the drum major appears on the field for the awards ceremony (lying on the ground, slain). It is the ultimate in drum corps theatre, beginning to end. If ever a color guard was the center of attention, beginning to end, this was it! Possibly a few other shows have come close to such attention to color guard, but probably none has surpassed Regiment's attention-getting guard this summer. Theatre to the hilt! It seemed, to me, that the music was made to fit the guard's actions, instead of the guard's actions being made to match and/or interpret the music. This trend is growing. Theatre.

Great thread. Thanks, Bill

Call it "theater" or call it "Performance Arts", it IS the NEW drum corps via DCI!

Some people really like and enjoy this new style. It is driven mostly by VISUAL elements. Auxiliary support is extremely important as is "theme".

Others prefer the more traditional approach ... a more military style of field performance, with music being a primary focus. Maybe the alumni and "all age" corps arena will provide corps for these fans. ]

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958- 63

100% right on, Dave.