Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
FAINTING ON THE FIELD

A recent post by Sheila: about the Bridgemen...

Ahhh yes the fall down... I remember in Rockford we had a case of food poisoning going through the corps.. and when we fell during the show the paramedics ran onto the field!
--------------------------------------------

This reminded me of the "old days", when there were times when a corps member might faint due to the heat (or exhaustion). We often marched in daytime shows or in really hot weather. Sometimes, a member would just drop, leaving the rest of us to march around him/her!

Then, the contest staff or paramedics would come out and drag the member away! While the corps was on the field. Haven't seen that happening lately!

It actually happened most often on the finish line!

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958- 63

Re: FAINTING ON THE FIELD

As it turns out, I never fainted on the field or after. BUT.. after the "famous" Milwaukee Circus Parade, I was more than a bit woozy!

I don't remember anyone fainting in my years in both the Cadets and Imperials. I recollect one guy slipping on wet grass and falling (the guy next to me at VFW State in 1962). He got stepped on by one of our brass players but aside from the footprint on the back of his brand new battle jacket was laughing when the paramedics came out to pick him up.

In 1964 we had two brass players get sick on the finish line in McHenry. They'd had a few adult beverages before the show--probably a six pack a piece. That's also the only time I remember anyone from Norwood getting physically ill after a performance.

The greatest number of corps members I ever witnessed fainting were the senior corps a the 1963. Every corps but Hawthorne had guys keel over on the finish line. I always figured that it wasn't that these guys were too old (most seemed to be under 30), they'd just had too much to drink the night before.

John, you weren't around yet, but I took a tumble once, too.

In my first year, as I was *learning the ropes* I filled an empty spot in the horn line during contests. The cymbal spot wasn't ready for me yet except for parades.

I carried a soprano horn, puffed my cheeks, moved the valves, and made it look like I was blowing my brains through that mouthpiece. I was in the center of the squad, between Jim Patton and somebody I can't recall.

At AL Nationals, Mile-High stadium in Denver, we were in contention. One drill maneuver required the squad to step backward and pivot to change direction, then step off forward immediately. I stepped in or on something on the ground that made me stumble and I ended up on my butt, propped up on my elbows, while the entire Corps marched off!

I know I had a stupid *what do I do now?* look on my face, and there was a judge looking right down at me. It was obvious I wasn't hurt or fainted, and he told me to get up and rejoin the line. I know we lost something in the score, can't recall if it was a tenth or what, but I don't think it affected the outcome. At least I hope not.

I got lots of razzing in my days with the Corps, but that trip back from Denver, on the train, well - you can only imagine.

Larry

What did you do in the Corps? Drumline

What years were you a Corps member? 1960-1965

Two fainting stories:

I only fainted once in 11 years. It was 1979 in New Orleans. We had been out on the town the night before (and that's ALL we need to say about it, George), and we had prelims VERY early the next morning. I made it through the show ok (being DM probably made it a little easier than if I was actually marching on the field), and I made it around the corner into the parking lot, then down I went!

The other story is more interesting. It was 1970, at the Illinois Association Championship (end of the year). Apparently the Belleville Black Knights were short several people who were taking the SAT that morning in Belleville (the show was somewhere in the Chicago area). In those days, there was a rule that you had to march a certain percentage of your corps at prelims compared to finals, so they couldn't have that many holes in the lines. So, they were grabbing people from anywhere - including some of our Cadets - and they were told to put on the Belleville uniform, stand inspection, walk to the starting line, then faint (because they obviously didn't know the show). The crowd must have been scared to death wondering what could have caused that many illnesses at the same time!

By finals, their regular members were there.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Bob, does that make you a former marching member of the Black Knights?

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

In 1973 at Loves Park during prelims, quite a few people fell out because of illness or fainting. We had just came back from New Orleans and at least a quarter of the corp was quarantined with mono.

Donna,

I remember that! My little brother was one of the ones quarantined. I think we marched about half a corps that night - what a way to end the season. A few got sick in New Orleans and passed it along to the others.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

BOB! you chicken, we never did anything wrong.

Yea, right.

What did you do in the Corps? played the cow bell

What years were you a Corps member? 1978 and 1979

Never saw a bass drummer faint .. but that would be a sight! OUCH!

Where was *I* when you guys were having that grand ole time on Bourbon Street? Sheeesh I missed all the fun :) :) :)

Dave, the closest I ever saw a bass drummer go down was when my younger brother Ron and I just joined the Cadets. It was our first parade, in Lowell, IN. We were on our way to the starting point and had to walk over railroad tracks. Of course he couldn't see over the drum and tripped on the tracks. He ended up looking like a turtle turned upside down.

What did you do in the Corps? Drum Major and Baritone

Steve ... great description!

Sheila,

You must have stayed at the hotel. Many of the "young ones" did - probably a wise move!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

wow... I was a young one??? Thanks Bob :)

Uh Oh .... Bob is in trouble now!

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

I think the important word he used just might have been "WAS" Sheila. ROFL

None of us are young ones anymore.

What did you do in the Corps? Brass Instructor, Corps Manager

BTW, I never fainted on the field myself. Had a guy next to me faint in the inspection line at VFW one year, but never fainted myself.

I did WANT to faint though some times when I was in the stands and listened to the scores being announced at some contests, usually DCI nationals. LOL

What did you do in the Corps? Brass Instructor, Corps Manager

hey Jerry..
Your only as old as you feel. And since my kids are little (2 1/2 and 4 1/2) I feel young all the tme... well maybe not all the time.. most .. err some... ok... Im old