Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rare NPI footage

I pulled this footage from a 60th anniversary Cavie DVD that was from Lane Tech, 1951, the footage primarily focused on the Cavies, this was at the end of their footage. I believe that is Joan Purse as the drum major. The second footage I extracted from a 16mm film that Sie's daughter had me convert. This is either 59 or 60, location unknown. There is no audio - opening states 1952 was used, all Cavie music, I muted. You will need Quick Time from Apple installed on your computer (free download) to view. This is the location, paste in your browser:

http://gallery.me.com/wbkoenig#100191

user name npi
password norwood

all lowercase - enjoy!

Re: Rare NPI footage

I can't watch this enough times! I assume the Grenadiers did NOT win this show, considering they can't even bring their horns up together! And since it was in 1952, there's a good chance Norwood was the victors.

I'm thinking this was American Legion State, and I'll tell you why. As they pan down the judges and other dignitaries at the beginning of the clip, I recognize Archie McAllister, who was the director of the Joliet American Legion Band, of which my Dad was a member for 15 years (until leaving for drum corps). I can't imagine why he would have been involved in a regular competition.

You don't have any more clips like this, do you?

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

If you cannot see the video, it's likely that you need to install the QuickTime player. At least version 7.2 is necessary, and many computers will not be that current. To get it, go to http://www.apple.com/quicktime/ and click FREE DOWNLOAD for Version 7. Follow the directions, then try watching again.

What did you do in the Corps? Drumline

What years were you a Corps member? 1960-1965

Larry,
I have quicktime version 7.5 with a Macintosh G5 professional and can't get those vids to play. The vids are on an Apple.com site. One would think an up to date Mac with the latest version of Quicktime would do the trick.

Can anyone shed some light on this? We all would love to see those videos.

What did you do in the Corps? Brass Instructor, Corps Manager

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with all of the possible settings in all browsers in all operating systems of all computers. Who is these days?

However, I do know that various sites and therefore the content available from those sites can be blocked by security settings without it being clearly apparent. I suggest that, if you cannot see content from a particular site, you should check all possible security blocks, which will certainly vary from one user to another depending on how your particular system is set up.

Look in the security settings for the browser, loosen them up and try again. If that doesn't do it, check the settings of your firewall and try again.

If that doesn't do it, call Will Koenig and ask him for a CD. If he doesn't answer, he's probably got a bit of security of his own that he's conjured up to make him feel comfortable. Or maybe he's run out of CDs.

Technology sure is wonderful, don'tcha think?

What did you do in the Corps? Drumline

What years were you a Corps member? 1960-1965

The computer argument sounds like debates we used to have in grammar school regarding Lionel and American Flyer toy trains. The Lionels were great for kids who wanted to put two trains on a track and have a head-on wreck. The American Flyers were a bit more to scale with detail. Lionel had three rails and American Flyer two.

I don't use Apple stuff (except for an Ipod) but seems to me Apple is geared for home use and the PCs for business where you have to crunch a lot of data and do some complex math. The Mircosoft operating system is the world standard for business--Microsoft doesn't make computers just the programs that make them work.

Early on it seemed that Apple was going it's own way--you couldn't take an Apple file and work with it on a Microsoft based system (sort of like trying to run an American Flyer engine on a Lionel track). But now they seem to have some means of converting files. They both work.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone

What years were you a Corps member? Cadets 59-61 Imperials 62-66

John is correct in theory. The microsoft system has been the standard in business applications. However, that has more to do more with the fact that Microsoft many years ago cornered that market, rather than have a superior operating system. With the advent of the latest (last 8-10 years) Apple computers and operating system, there is nothing you can do on a microsoft machine that you can't do on a Mac. All the major programs are written for both computer platforms. FYI, the Attorney General's Office in Michigan has been using Macintosh for years now. The main difference seems to be in graphics oriented applications where Apple has a big lead in both technology, applications and use.

As for crunching numbers it all comes down to processor speeds and capacity, not the operating system. Many of the largest corporations don't use either system. They use operating systems designed and built specifically for them or Unix and IBM operating systems. More and more businesses are turning to Macs because they not only make outstanding hardware that is the fastest commercial computers on the market, but the operating systems are much more reliable and virus free.

What did you do in the Corps? Brass Instructor, Corps Manager

I certainly did not mean to start a computer controversy! Sorry that I have not looked at the posting for a while. The instructions for downloading Quick Time should function for most of the Windows operating systems - 98, XP, Vista. At what point is the process hanging - on the QT install, or the actual playing of the video? I have tried it on 3 Windows machines and of course, my MAC. As for the one person who has a MAC, the only thing I can think of would be the entering of name and password - all lower case, no spaces. Let me know if any of this helps.