Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Imperials Corps History

Wow. Some of the recent forum posts show that some members from the "later" years don't even know the people and events from the past years of the corps.

Maybe everyone should spend a few minutes reading the History segment of the corps web site.

Someone didn't know Rick Maass? He was a member for 10 years, an Imperials instructor for 15 years and the corps manager for 3 years. Almost 30 years of the life of the Corps!

Amazing.

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958- 63

Re: Imperials Corps History

Dave, I remember him as a Judge. He seemed to be in the way all the time. I knew he was associated with the Imperials.

Donna, Rick Maass was a brass and marching judge (with CSJA starting in 1959 and with DCI in 1971). He didn't judge much while with the corps in the 1960s.

I remember him as an instructor! and a judge :)

I have another item that surfaced on the trivia site.

In response to one of the questions it was mentioned that the White Sox sponsored the Imperials in the early 1970s. Anyone have any details as to how that came about?

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone

What years were you a Corps member? Cadets 59-61 Imperials 62-66

Dave,
I think you are referring in the initial post, to my post on the trivia page where I answered "Rick Maass?"

If so, that was not because I didn't know who he was, it was because I was guessing the answer.

In all actuality I knew Rick Maass as an instructor of a corps he judged, as a fellow CSJA judge, as a person whom I talked to at the early DCI congresses, and also as a parent as I taught his son in the Guardsmen. Almost everybody who either taught, judged or were in the activity in the area knew Rick.

What did you do in the Corps? Brass Instructor, Corps Manager

Jerry,

My point was that people didn't seem to know of Rick's IMPERIALS history!

Sure, LOTS of people knew him as a judge, etc. But he spent about 25 years of his life as a member, instructor and leader of the Imperials. This was through some of the BEST years of the corps.

Just is a disappointment that someone like that wouldn't be known by people who came later. Bad job of keeping history alive.

I suspect that the (ugh) Cavaliers wouldn't do that!

I only had one year with Rick Maas as the corp manager, my rookie year 1966. In that one year you realized what he meant to the history and present of Norwood. I think anyone associated with him realized that he was the equal and better than most of the drum corps managers during his time, and a true gentleman and example for the marching members. I always got the feeling we all would run thru a wall for him. He was the equal of Warren, Luyre, & Pamper.

Denny:

Great words about Rick Maass! I fully agree!

For more info .. go to the SEARCH feature on the alumni forum and enter RICK MAASS.

Sorry Dave, thought it was my post you were referring to.

I remember Rick being a really nice human being and a more than adequate judge.
He was a great parent too. I taught one of his boys in Gmen and he was a good player, but was also well mannered and smart. He had good parents. Wish I could have seen him as a corp director and instructor. I have no doubt that he was excellent at both.

What did you do in the Corps? Brass Instructor, Corps Manager