Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
NORWOOD DRUM LINES

We were talking about "great drum lines" on another thread, and this made me think about great NORWOOD drum lines and the memories attached.

Here are some random thoughts. Maybe others can add to it?

1956 - Mickey Greaber, Frank Pamper and Tony DeMarco are the snares. Bill Strauts, Tom Stack and (?) are the tenors. Frank Arsenault is the instructor and they are one of the TOP drum lines in the area.

1958 - Drum Quartet wins VFW National title.

1959- 1961, instructor is Dick Brown. High placing drum line. Good GE scores with Browns musical charts

1962-63. Instructor is Bob Badal. Continued high placings and good GE.

1964-66. Instructor is Bill Strauts. Added many new members from the Cadets. Rebuilding in 1964 .. great lines in 1965 and 1966. Added rudimental bass drums.

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958- 63

Re: NORWOOD DRUM LINES

1967 - 1972 .... some changes as the drum instructors were: Jim Middleton, then Dick Brown, then Bill Strauts again. The drum line was competitive in those years as well. Added tympani, marching keyboards and tri-toms.

Bill Strauts returned yet again in the late 70s. I'm not sure exactly when, but I know he was there when I returned in 78, so I had the pleasure of both being in one of his lines (1972) and teaching alongside him (1978). Bill was one of the finest men I ever met in drum corps, and I was greatly saddened to learn of his way-too-early passing. I never saw him upset (those of you who marched WITH him might know otherwise), and he continued to come whenever the corps called, despite some treatment by the corps that wasn't always the best towards him.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

agree about Bill Strauts.

.marched with him 1958-60. Great friend
.taught with him 1964-66. Great fun
.judged with him in CSJA later. Also fun
.worked with him at Grainger from 1979- 97. A true
professional and friend.

He was ALWAYS a friend of the Imperials.

Bob, Bill's wife was Nancy Friebus. She had two brothers. Gary was a tenor drummer in the Imperials while I was teaching. I believe Dean was in the Cadets, might not have gone to the Imperials.

I have to drop a note in here for Paul Woytena and what he did during the final years of Imperials. Paul took kids that were moderately trained or not trained at all and molded them into pretty darn good drum lines. He didn't have the huge numbers tow work with, but through his tasteful writing and dedication, made the most out of the talent he had to work with. Sometimes the best instructing job isn't the one where you win with a ton of talent. It just could be making a competitive line out of a smaller group that you mold and teach how to play as a cohesive unit.

What did you do in the Corps? Brass Instructor, Corps Manager

I had the pleasure and honor of teaching with Paul in 78-79. He brought the Iliana people (George Roberts, Greg Gilboe, Sue Sambol, etc.) with him, which really pushed us over the top for a couple of good seasons (along with the Scarlet Knights the following year). He was a lot of fun, and had a variety of experiences that really helped us out.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

Thanks Bob, I remember those days and had the pleasure of working with Paul for about 3 years. When we brought the Scarlet Knight kids and a handful from the Conant band, adding those groups to the members of the corps already present, it helped keep the corps competitive almost until the end. The year that I was corps manager Paul and I worked closely on the arrangements and his drum parts really enhanced my brass charts. We both worked hard, the corps won American Legion and VFW state (minus the DCI corps who chose not to attend), we took them to DCI North in Ypsilanti, Michigan placed 15th I believe, Took the corps on a tour all the way to the DCI Championships in Montreal. Without Paul and his dedication none of the would have been possible. I really enjoyed working with him and his friendship during our time with the corps.

This maybe a little late in being posted and for that I am sorry.I certainly agree with the things that have been said about Bill and Paul. That being said, I strongly feel that it would be remiss of me not to add Bob's name to the list of outstanding percussion instructors. Between them the drum lines of the late 70's would not have become as proficient as they did. All three were responsible, but without Bob's presence at competitions, the results would with a certainty been less gratifying. Bob, I will always be grateful not only for what you did for the Corps but for what you gave to the members of the drum line.

What did you do in the Corps? Managed Cadets 1975 and A Corps 1976 thru 1979

Jim,

It was my pleasure, and a great learning experience. As I mentioned at George's memorial service, it was a little strange walking that line between drum major/drum instructor at times, but it did guarantee we would have a presence at critiques. The only problems I ever encountered were if we were on late in the show and I didn't have time to change. There were some judges who wouldn't talk to me in uniform, and others who wouldn't take me seriously in both roles. But most of them were ok with it, and eager to help the corps. The one that stands out most is Jim Campbell, who would later instruct the Guardsmen when George was there and lead the Cavaliers to their first several DCI titles. I was always glad to see him on the field, because I could count on a great, positive, helpful critique that would help improve the line in the future.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

Bob and Dave, I only remember one show where Dave judged us.
That was in McHenry at the end of July 1978. I don,t know if you were at the critique but I do remember Paul Wojtena being there. I still recall a heated debate ensuing regarding scoring. Since I had no knowledge of drum scoring I found the discussion very enlighting and amusing. I,m sure you would be enjoyed it more that I did Bob because you would have known what they were talking about. That was the only time I can remember being evaluated by Dave though there may have been others.

What did you do in the Corps? Managed Cadets 1975 and A Corps 1976 thru 1979

I don't remember the event Jim mentioned. But, I DO remember that drum instructors in those days were VERY interested in their scoring in a subcaption called
"difficulty".

Actually, it changed names over the years. It was basically a way to give a drum line CREDIT for the "exposure to error" they faced due to a more challenging drum book. It was a good idea and is included in the scoring used today. But, because it is subjective (and was new in tbose days), it was VERY controversial!

I can believe there was a "heated discussion".

What did you do in the Corps? drummer: later: Quartermaster, assistant drum instructor

Dave,

I remember the "exposure to error" argument would come up in all captions, not just drums. I used to have some very animated discussions with certain judges that thought just because a corps was small, they didn't have exposure to error. In fact, it has been my experience that the smaller groups had much more exposure to error because they couldn't hide in the masses, like in a large corps. If you had 6 sopranos, they were very much easier to judge than 24. And when one made an error it was obvious and not covered up by the mass of sound coming out of a large line.

The problems that I had with some judges is that they wouldn't delineate between difficulty and exposure to error, which in many instances are quite different animals. I had some small lines that played very difficult books and were quite exposed, but there always was that bias against smaller units from some of the judges. One judge in particular who was a great judge and knew that a small line could play a tough book, that was exposed and also that had good ensemble control was Jim Unrath. He always gave credit to smaller units that stuck their necks out on difficulty and exposure. If a line didn't execute the difficulty the sheets were designed to catch that with the field execution and ensemble judge. But Unrath always contended that a tough book was a tough book, no matter what size unit played it. He also told me that in ways a tough book played by a smaller corps was MORE exposed. I'm glad there were judges out there that actually could tell the difference, although it was not a regularity in most small shows.

When I joined the Imperials, it was assumed that it would be with the colorguard since I was guard captain for my high school. I wanted to try something different and opted for the drum line. I played cymbals my first year and then moved up to bass drum. Paul had the patience and taught me how to read percussion music and to play properly. It was the most fun I have ever had marching. It also taught me how to keep a great tempo!!!!!

What did you do in the Corps? Drumline

What years were you a Corps member? 80-81

There were alot of very good instructors. I remember first learning how to read music at Mr. Donnelly's house. He would have retreats at his house or his oldest sons. Then Mr. Munzer, Paul W.,and Bob. I feel I learned from some incredible musicians and it only made me better. I always wanted to play horn but Mr. Donnelly always said that I has quick hands and should stay with the drums. I never regret it. I made alot of friends.
I also remember the years with Paul, I thought we had a great drum line, small but powerful! I think our line took tops in some shows.

What did you do in the Corps? Drum Line

What years were you a Corps member? 76 & 77 in Cadets, 78-84 A corp.

In my years with Norwood we always had great drum
lines and some great instructors to go along with
them.

And Dave when you mentioned Tony DeMarco I had to
think when I seen him win the individual snare
drum title at VFW National's.I think he was the one
and only person who was is Norwood to win it.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963

Tony DeMarco won the VFW National Individual Snare Drum title in 1958 (New York).

The Norwood Drum Quartet also won first place that year ... I believe that it was Tony on snare, Bill Strauts and Dick Stack on tenor, Hank Grana on rudimental bass Will have to go check on that.

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63