Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
LAST SHOW MEMORIES?

An earlier topic talked about the feelings members experienced in their FIRST corps show (contest or other appearance). The first time they wore the uniform and performed.

I wondered about the feelings we may have had with our LAST appearances. Often as we aged out, but sometimes under other circumstances.

MY last appearance as a member was at the annual Maywood "Bataan Days" contest in September, 1963. As was our custom then, the "graduating" members wore black plumes in that contest to signify our leaving.

Lining up on the starting line that day was a sad feeling. At the end of the show, a feeling of "it is over".

Of course, some of us did "march again" with the corps .. in parades, exhibitions, etc ... from time to time. Mostly as a lark, but fun too.

Wow, an alumni corps would be fun!

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958- 63

Re: LAST SHOW MEMORIES?

I don't remember my last show because I didn't age out, bowing out at the end of 1967... being disappointed with the direction of the Corps. That was the era whereas Rick Maas went on to do other things. I certainly remember many friends aging out. Back then, a member aging-out was often in the "A" corps for 9 years (something unthinkable in DCA today). It must have been a very emotional time for all of you that dedicated nearly 1/2 of your life to the activity! The sense of dedication and accomplishment must have also been a bit overwhelming!

As for an alumni corps.....as noted in another thread, we have the makings of a "Micro Mini" corps!

What did you do in the Corps? soprano

What years were you a Corps member? 61-62/Cadets....63-67/Imperials

I remember my last show very clearly, and my reaction still surprises me. I had marched since 1970, and seen the vast changes drum corps went through from then through 1980. I had gone South to Spirit of Atlanta for a chance to finally win a title - and I came very close (less than a point away), and tied for high drums.

I always thought they would have to physically tear my drum and uniform off after that last show. Drum corps had been my life for 11 years, and nothing ever mattered as much as the corps I was with at the time. But when I left the field after finale, I couldn't WAIT to be rid of it all. Maybe it was the disapointment of our finish, or tying Bridgemen in drums and them getting the trophy (STILL a sore spot). Or maybe it was just time to be done with it and grow up. But I walked away and never looked back, other than keeping current for my role as a high school band director. I never taught or wrote for a drum corps again.

I was by far the "old man" of that corps (Old Man River?), because Spirit was basically an all-star band. Nobody could begin to understand what it had been like marching for that long. And nobody does it today, partly because there are no Cadet corps to get started in, and nobody marches DCI until much later in high school, if not college, whereas we had plenty of high school kids in those days.

The one thing I CAN say that many people can't is that the last show I marched was BY FAR the BEST one I ever performed in! And, during my time in drum corps, I managed to beat every other corps around at least once in some season. In fact, I was the ONLY person in Spirit who had ever beaten the Blue Devils, and that's STILL true.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

My sentiments are similar to Bill Blomquist. I didn't age out and left during the offseason because of committments at Northwestern and a sense that things were no longer as they were in the previous years. So I don't have a recollection of saying to myself, "This is the last time I will do this."

The only show I can remember before I left Norwood
in 63' was the "DREAM".But what memories to have.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963