Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Marching Music at Disney World + Disneyland

Jerry Davidson mentioned the fun he had taking his band to Disney World for New Years activities. I can believe that would be a lot of fun.

We have been to Disney World a few times ... remember seeing their "home" corps, called "Future Corps". Probably in Tomorrow Land! They were very good .. about 21 horns and 6 drums. I talked with the members after a performance .. most were from top level drum corps and were there during summer (or winter) breaks.

They also had a band made entirely of trombones. They were called the "T-Bones" of course.
Amazing what they could do with those trombones.

Out in Disneyland, the Anaheim Kingsmen were partially sponsored by Disney and appeared there a lot.

I am sure that many drum corps have appeared at both parks through the years. Hopefully, they avoid the "Gay Pride" weeks there!

What did you do in the Corps? drummer: later: Quartermaster, assistant drum instructor

What years were you a Corps member? 1958- 63

Re: Marching Music at Disney World + Disneyland

I marched there with Spirit in 1980. Fun trying to fit 11 snares across those narrow streets (marched most of the parade in two rows). And I brought my bands three times in eight years. In fact, the last trip is what made us decide to move here from Atlanta.
Unfortunately, Future Corps is no more - cut a few years ago. Not sure about the T-Bones, but I have heard them and they are great!
Also did Disneyland with Lassiter High School when we went to the Rose Parade in 1988. I prefer DisneyWorld here in Orlando.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

With Madison in 1983 we stopped and played at Epcot on our way to DCI in Miami. We then had part of the day to hang out in the park. I think most of us were too exhausted from tour to move beyond the German beer garden.

When Great America first opened the Imperials would go and play a parade/concert there. It was a great time because we'd get free admission to the park afterwards. We could also get a "twicket" (for only $2!) and go back the next day!

Good to see you back here, Jim! You disappeared for a while.

And I'm sure you guys stayed at the beer garden from exhaustion...

I remember marching at Great America after the 1979 season. I was trying to get back into shape as a drummer, so I marched in the snare line instead of as DM that day. We had a blast once we got the silly parade out of the way!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79