Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Terrible, terrible news

It is with a heavy heart and unbelievable shock that I pass on this news. George Roberts, Norwood Park Imperials snare drummer 1978-79, passed away today (Christmas Day), suddenly and unexpectedly of a heart attack. Apparently he and his wife Joyce had just finished exchanging Christmas presents when George collapsed at home. Although 911 was called, they believe he died before they even arrived, but they continued lifesaving efforts until reaching the hospital.

Joyce called me at around 5pm my time (4pm your time in Chicago). No arrangements have been made at this time. George's daughter Loren (a newlywed to a service man recently returned from Iraq) was on her way home from North Carolina, and arrangements will be made after she arrives.

I will post any further news here tomorrow. I am absolutely in shock over this. Those who knew George knew him as a jokester, and a true friend. He had been taking my Dad (who has Alzheimer's) to breakfast every Sunday for several years. After aging out with the Guardsmen in 1980, George took over for me helping my Dad teach the Joliet West High School Band drum line for many years (when I decided to stay in Atlanta after my season with Spirit). He and Dad spent many weekends working on George's house (he ALWAYS had a project going). And I last saw George just a few weeks ago, when he and Joyce, with Loren and her husband Larry were vacationing in Daytona Beach - and I thank God I took that trip.

Please say a prayer for Joyce and Loren, and the rest of George's family. George's younger brother John also marched those two years (78-79), and currently lives in Joliet.

Joyce specifically asked me to report this news here on the website. She knew George loved the Imperials, and he thoroughly enjoyed his two years there.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Re: Terrible, terrible news

This is extremely sad news. George was a wonderful person. He and I were close friends during our teens and I will never forget some of the 'hard times' he helped me through during the Imperials and Guardsmen times.

He will be remembered for his smile, great attitude, willingness to help anyone at anytime just to name a few.

Bob, I know how close you were and I am so sorry. My heart goes out to Joyce and his family and everyone that was blessed to have George touch their life. Which was many.......

My deepest sympathy and prayers.

What did you do in the Corps? Color Guard - Rifle

What years were you a Corps member? 1973-1979

Although I don't have dates or times yet, I talked to Joyce today and they are starting to get some things together. There will be a wake/viewing and memorial service at the funeral home (no church ceremony). George will be cremated. His ashes will be scattered in several different places. George worked many years in China and loved the country (even visited it with his daughter Loren), so some will be sent there. Joyce is thinking of other places George loved, like ice skating and skiing. She has asked me to think of a special place related to drum corps. The only thing I came up with was Elk Grove High School, where we won the American Legion State Championship in 1979. Can anyone think of anything else (like maybe during his year with the Guardsmen in 1980)?

Joyce is doing as well as can be expected. George was under a doctor's care for MS, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol, but he had recently had appointments for all of those things and was in good shape. They are thinking it was his family history - his mother died of a massive heart attack at about the same age (she was 50, and George would have been 50 in two months).

Please continue to pray for Joyce and Loren. They will need strength in the coming months.

I am totally in shock! My heartfelt prayers go out to George's family. I will always remember his smile and his positive and upbeat attitude. Please let us know about arrangements. I will let the Gills and Chris Harder know about this as I still keep in touch with them.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn (against my will!)

What years were you a Corps member? 1975-1979

Terrible, terrible news

Our deepest condolences to Joyce, Loren, family and friends. We, along with many, were shocked to hear of his most untimely death. George was a wonderful person to corps members and always to the staff. I (Diane) remember him once saying his grandmother made oxtail soup and I mentioned I had never had oxtail soup. The next time his grandmother made it - he brought me some. A small gester perhaps but I always remembered his thoughtfulness. It was one among many and that's how he was. His loyalty to Bob and his dad, "priceless". God was an important part of the Roberts' family life, and we know that He will help Joyce and Loren through this most difficult time.

What did you do in the Corps? Manager & Chaperone

Here are the arrangements for George (they should also appear in the Tribune and Sun Times tomorrow):

Visitation Sunday, December 28, 2008
2:00-7:00pm
Friedrich-Jones Funeral Home
44 South Mill Street
Naperville, IL 60540

Memorial Service Monday, December 29, 2008
11:00am
same location

Please express my sincerest condolences to the Roberts family. I certainly don't share the history that Bob and George share, but when I think back on my days in the Imperials, George is one of the few people I remember often. It seemed to me that George had an innate gift that made him a generous and very people-oriented person who was simply able enjoy life.

Frankly, the news of George's passing left me dumbstruck. I KNEW I was supposed to be in the area this weekend; a feeling in the pit of my stomach told me so. After reading the offer posted here on the forum to meet at a Waffle House, I really wanted to jump on that opportunity and hopefully reconnect with him, and for some reason I felt a compulsion I normally don't feel about such things.

I remember one year, perhaps '98 or '99, going DCI Whitewater finals. There I was fortunate enough to have met Sue Rumsfield and her husband Dion. Having been away from corps for some time, I didn't know that Sue and Dion had married and had a family. What is important for this story is that I thought Dion was George because Dion had grown a fairly hefty mustache, and I thought he looked like George. I remember that I got pretty excited thinking I was meeting George again. In retrospect, I hope I didn't seem disappointed when I found out it was Dion. Not that Dion isn't a good guy, but he wasn't the guy I marched next to for two years. To make things clear, let me say that I considered it very nice to see those familiar faces then, especially one of my favorite Imp morale boosters.

It is ironic that Bob mentions his father helping george with his home projects. I consider my house to be a reflection of my life. It has many ongoing projects, is full of people, and at times it seems I have absolutely no control over it. From what Bob said about George and his home, it seems as though we would have had a lot in common. Those who were close to George may have lost a bright light, but hopefully they will have enough bright memories to last the rest of their lives.

Mike Zajdel

What did you do in the Corps? Snare

It was great to see the support for George's family this morning from the former Imperials. Life is just too short. Bob, Greg, and Val had great stories to share about George's life and the world being a better place because of him.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone

What years were you a Corps member? 75-78

Got back from George's last night (2500 miles on the road in 4 days). While you can never say something like this is positive or fun in any way, it WAS good to see the support from the Imperials, many of whom I hadn't seen in about 30 years (can't believe I knew George that long). And Joyce really did a nice job of making everyone remember the good life he lead rather than the loss we all feel (there will be plenty of time for that).

There were pictures of George with the corps, and even his Norwood uniform displayed. However, the sash was missing, and John Anderson commented that Mrs. Fu probably still has one in her purse. George was always a jokester, and it was good to tell some of the old stories (although, thankfully, many were left untold). It truly was a celebration of his life, and I am so glad I made the trip.

It was especially great seeing old Norwood people:

Jim and Diane Fiduccia
Val and Candy Korman
Greg Gilboe
Paul Wojtena
John Anderson (who looks like he just walked off the field - disgusting...)
George's brother John

I was honored to speak, along with Greg and John (and Joyce's brother, who marched in Guardsmen with George and introduced him to Joyce). All in all, it was as positive as that experience could possibly be.

I'm sure going to miss him.

Dave Borck suggested I give Joyce's home address out here in case anyone wants to contact her for any reason:

933 Meadowridge Drive
Aurora, IL 60504

Bob, you are right on with your comments about George's celebration. Too bad this is what has to bring us back together. You look the same also! As I told you, just gray hair instead of red hair. Ah, some great memories at a very influential time in our lives. All of those Great Parents who volunteered is just incredible. With kids of my own, I just cannot believe the commitment they made to us.

I still can picture George picking Jim and me up for practice in his blue chevey, bald tires and the 8 track player playing Steely Dan or The Cars full blast.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone

What years were you a Corps member? 75-78

My sympathies go out to George's wife and family. It is hard to lose someone at such a young age. I will always remember George for his warm smile, hearty laugh and his passion for living life to the fullest.

Everyone talks about his love of drumming but if I am not mistaken there was a time he would drive up to Rolling Meadows, IL to play hockey. I remember going with Candy and Val to watch him play.

What did you do in the Corps? I played the bass drum, soprano & flugel horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1978-1981

Yes, Judy, George loved hockey as well. In fact, that was how he first discovered his MS. After skating for a while, it would take a long time to have feeling return to his feet.