Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The 70s have returned!

SO great to see so many 70s Imperials out here lately! Sad that George's passing might be the catalyst, but maybe that's his final legacy to us. Let's not go away now! John Anderson, Mr. and Mrs. Fiduccia and Cathy, Mike, and all the others - stick around!

And I really liked John Tomascek's comment about the stories all being similar, just with different names. That's probably always been the case.

Those who are reading and not joining in the fun - stop hiding in the shadows! Even the sharpest minds don't remember everything that happened, and everyone has something to add (or dispute). In fact, if Joyce had gone any further at George's memorial, I was going to ask for time for a rebuttal...

And Cathy, if your Dad is as sharp as you claim (which I have NO reason to doubt), it should make for some lively exchanges. With him added in the mix, we now have members, instructors, and management represented. And hopefully Wojtena will join us soon as well!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Re: The 70s have returned!

It took a while but seems we now have good representation of all eras of Norwood Park. This is why Dave and Larry started all of this.

Happy New Year!

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone

What years were you a Corps member? 1959 thru 1961 Cadets 1962 thru 1966 Imperials

Glad to see all the new participants! Hope that all enjoy the Forum, etc and all eras of members join in.

What did you do in the Corps? drummer: later: Quartermaster, assistant drum instructor

What years were you a Corps member? 1958- 63

I just read your posting Bob and will do my best in the future to correct some misconceptions of happenings in the 70,s and in particular the latter years. I would suggest to John Anderson (70) that he identify himself since there are now two posters with that name. It would make it easier for old people like me. Nice hearing from you John. You, Jim and your whole family were an important part of the corps history during that period. I still remember that T shirt you wore stating Norwood is back. Happy New Year to all.

What did you do in the Corps? Managed Cadets 1975 and A Corps 1976 thru 1979

Great to hear from you too. Ok, I'll call myself by the years I marched. No, NO 30 years couldn't have passed already. Seemed like yesterday; practcing at the armory on Broadway, VFW Post on North avenue, Alvernia High School, and the American Legion Post in Skokie. I can still smell the cookies of the Salerno bakery while we practiced at Sgt. Welch. Great times & Memories indeed! Cathy is right, I forgot about that shirt and you remember everything. Family is doing well. Jim is a fireman in Arlington, VA. Brian is a Policeman in Asheville, NC. Norine is in Advertising in Dallas, TX. Hope all is well with you and the family too.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone

What years were you a Corps member? 75-78

Not everything only what I chose to remember. As far as the family, it was not a good year as both my mother and sister passed away. I think you are to young for your memory to be going but I think we were practicing at Vapor on Howard St. next to the Salerno when you could smell the cookies. I fondly remember Noreen marching with us a mascot. Glad every one is doing well.

Sgt. Welch was earlier - I know that for sure. We were practicing there during my first "tour of duty" with the A corps in 72-73. And the cookies were definitely smelled at Vapor, which didn't help concentration any!

And thanks for someone finally reminding me of the name of that school - Alvenia!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

I still remember practicing at Vapor and had to remember to always eat before I went to rehearsal or the smell from Sara Lee would be too distracting to keep my mind focused. It was a pleasant memory of practicing there.

Keep these memories coming. I really enjoy reading the things that all of you found memorable.

What did you do in the Corps? Brass Instructor, Corps Manager

Dave I find it surprising that you remember Vapor since we started practicing there in the late 70' and I have never heard of Norwood practicing there previously. It was obtained as a practice field through the good auspicious of Bill Healy who was an official with Vapor. The Cadets also practiced there and the Cavaliers kept some of their rolling equipment parked there. The mention of Bill reminded me that he was the other lucky individual to be on the White Whale when it went down a steep street in Stillwater and was lucky enough to be a member of those daring people who had the fortune to highway drive it. (I mentioned this in a previous post.

I remember some of us walking over to the back door of Salerno, when practicing at Vapor. The bakers would come out for break and give a free cookie samples. Extremely important aspect of practice :)

What did you do in the Corps? Rifle

What years were you a Corps member? 73 - 79

A MAJOR addition to the Corps History - the 1970s - is being written by Jim Fiduccia (and the boss; oops. wife), assisted by Doris Ruchalski!

This will be posted to the public website, Corps History, when done. But, we hope to see a lot of alumni posts on the Forum with memories added!

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Dave, no oops necessary because you are right on the money about who is boss. I think that it is only fair to add Bob Shreffler and Keith Normadin to the list of contributors. Bob was instrumental in the compilation of the years from 1970 thru 1973, in addition to adding facts to the later years. I took advantage in transferring information, for 1976 and 1979, from Keith's drafts to embellish the final history. My thanks to all for their help in this endeavor.

What did you do in the Corps? Cadet manager 1975 Imperial manager 1976-1979