Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CORPS BUS?

A recent post stated that the Corps once bought a BUS!
Thst is new to me, as I have never heard that. Any details of this? (Year, kind of bus, pictures?)

Re: CORPS BUS?

Dave, I recieved a number of pictures of the White Whale from Doris Ruchalski that I understood she was also forwarding to the website. Included were pictures of a coach type bus that I understand was purchased in the 80's. I would imagine that either Doris or Jerry Davidson would be able to tell you more. The question I asked was about a caption saying "unauthorized purchase" next to a picture of the bus.

What did you do in the Corps? Managed Cadets 1975 and A Corps 1976 thru 1979

In the early 70's there was the long car that was used to transport members to and from the Wilco station (right off of 55 on Joliet Road) to practice. It had a name, but I can't remember.

I can't see how a bus of any kind could have possibly have gotten by as an "unauthorized purchase". Nothing that large could or would have been bought without board approval as all purchases over $50-$100 were subject to board approval. I'm not sure where Jim gets this questionable information from, but I do not recall any such transaction during my tenure with the corps. I will defer to Doris on the matter, but is this really the place to revisit these kinds of misconceptions almost 30 years after the fact?

What did you do in the Corps? Brass Instructor, Corps Manager

Jerry, I am sorry if this subject seems to have upset you. It was asked only to clarify a caption next to a picture of the bus purchased by the Corps in the 80's which reads "unauthorized purchase". I assumed , since you were active with the Imps in that period, you might know the answer. I know for a fact that this is not merely a misconception, but it would be better if the details came from Doris or board members. If certain events that occurred during Norwood history are barred from discussion than I would like to know. It appears that I have touched some nerves on various subjects of late and, if this the case, than I think I would be more comfortable keeping my recollections of the corps to myself. I regret the posts concerning this matter, not because the information maybe wrong, but because you feel it was the inappropriate forum.
My question then becomes what is the proper place and should a matter, if true, which could and DID have a bearing on the demise of Norwood, simply be swept under the rug. I would point out in all fairness, the picture with the above mentioned caption has not as yet been posted on this sight, but was forwarded to Dave and myself by Doris and would concede that my posting was premature, but not wrong.

What did you do in the Corps? Managed Cadets 1975 and A Corps 1976 thru 1979

This forum is EXACTLY the place to discuss these things, which are necessary to understand the history and demise of the corps. I would think after 20-some years, it's ok to talk about it. There is not an era of the corps history (or ANY corps history, for that matter) where mistakes weren't made, because until the 80s and 90s, drum corps were run by private citizens who usually had little or no financial background. Everyone did the best they could. Most times it involved someone who was good enough to volunteer time, which would never be rejected, but trying to do things they might not have been particularly suited for. I can't think of many who did anything deliberately to hurt the corps. And certainly nobody EVER made money off of Norwood!

Having said that, don't you DARE disappear again Pa Foo! We need you out here.

And to answer Donna's question, I can't remember what that limo was called, but my Dad used to drive it to practice every week. There were a number of people in the corps from Joliet and Romeoville (where the corps had camp in 1971), so the corps bought that thing to get us all there. And there are LOTS of stories that could be told about that thing! We kept it at our house (which the neighbors LOVED), and we'd pick everyone else up at the Welco truck station in Romeoville. Nick Zadylak, Kurt Kenyon, Danita Bryson, John Gargano, Terry Golden, Dave Clark, Larry Leibrum - don't know if I remembered everyone or not.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Jim, Bob and Dave,

I am not against any kind of positive discussion that has some basis in the history of the corps. I apologize for coming across in a way that would indicate that I wasn't. After seeing the photo sent to me by Dave, I know it must have come after my tenure with the corps as I don't have any recollections at all concerning that vehicle. I do however remember fighting to keep an old school bus and the WW running.

My main interest here, and please bear with me, is to outline a complete history of the corps while we still can, without casting aspersions on any individuals who freely gave of themselves out of the goodness of their hearts to help keep the Imperials alive and a viable organization for the kids who were looking to them for direction and leadership. I read an account from one of the former corps presidents that described the experience as feeling "like a caged animal, not knowing which way to go or what to do to keep the organization running." (loose quote) I personally can relate to that experience and know how that person must have felt. Anyone who loved the corps like we all did would have felt that same frustration during the final years.

Bob is completely right. Every corps management made mistakes through the years. It was impossible not to. Situations changed so often that many management groups were reacting to unforeseen events that commonly occurred and popped up at inopportune times, when they finally conquered the most recent crisis or felt that they were starting to make some real tangible progress. Events that they had no direct control over, yet had an immediate impact on their respective organizations. We literally could write a book about all the mistakes that managements, staffs and parents clubs etc. made during ALL the eras of drum corps. What one cannot in good conscience do, is fault any of the individuals for their motives. I can say without hesitation that each and every person that I came in contact with, in all of the groups that I have taught or managed, made decisions based on what they thought was right and tried desperately to keep everything running as smoothly as possible, It sometimes felt as if we were all facing seemingly insurmountable odds while working for those wonderful kids.

Jim, I apologize if I gave impression of being snippy or gave the wrong impression of my intent with that post, as I had not previously seen the photos under discussion. I was just trying to protect those people who worked their butts off and gave every last bit of effort in the attempt to keep the corps operating. Were mistakes made, sure there were, and plenty of them. But not mistakes that were born out of any reason or agenda that would have intentionally damaged the organization. I am sure that you realize and know that.

My tenure with the corps ended in the winter of 83, if memory serves me correctly, and it really hurt to have to leave the corps. I was headed into a new job and the problems with the corps just seemed insurmountable. And with many individuals that did leave, we all felt we had somehow failed the organization or maybe could have done things differently that would somehow have made a difference in the final outcome.

I think I speak for all of those that stuck it out during those last years by saying, we all still feel a bit sensitive about the events and failed attempts and/or strategies that led to the final years of the Imperials. We worked our butts off to try to save that corps and loved every single kid or individual in the corps like they were our own children or family members. Every time the corps declined a little bit, it was like a bit of our hearts and souls went with it. That is why that particular post sort of hit a nerve with me. I had many close friends that stayed until the very end, an to those that did, I give them the upmost respect that is due them for fighting to keep a once proud and outstanding organization alive.

If I offended anyone by my post, I extend my sincere apology. I just hope in our attempt to collect a complete account of this historical corps, that we keep in mind to do it the right way and focus on the positive that was accomplished by that has earned it's place in the history book on drum & bugle corps. Of course there must be accountability for the issues, problems and/or pitfalls that the corps experienced, but it must be done in a manner that applauds the efforts of all involved, not in a manner that point fingers or attempts to place blame. There is enough of that in all eras to go around, but really that serves no purpose in the end. We must always take the high road and write the history of the Imperials accurately and in a dignified manner that focuses on the positive, which allows all of those former members, parents and management to feel good about their association with The Imperials and participate in the forum and relive the history with pride and their dignity in tact.

Again, my apology to anyone who might have been offended by that post. This website should be a place to reconnect with old friends and remember why the Imperials were such an important part of their lives.

What did you do in the Corps? Brass Instructor, Corps Manager