Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CORPS VEHICLES

A number of Corps alums have sent in great pictures of the equipment truck used by the Corps in the 1970s. Called the "White Whale," it was a very large vehicle which had been obtained from the Seeburg Corp. in Chicago. Go to the website to Alumni Photo Page to see these.

Now, we need a similar alumni effort to get pictures of the other vehicles used by the Corps ... the 1950 Ford panel truck (1960-64), the Jays truck (1965) and the Chevy Step Van (1966 -70). In the 1970s, the Corps used an "airport limo" type car for transporting some members. A bus was also purchased and used for a short time in the early 1980s (this is being researched).

What did you do in the Corps? drummer: later: Quartermaster, assistant drum instructor

What years were you a Corps member? 1958- 63

Re: CORPS VEHICLES

I probably have a picture of the Cadet equipment truck from 1971-72 - my Dad's red Ford Econoline Van!

Before that, the equipment vehicle for the Cadets was Buddy Grana's station wagon.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

In previous threads there has been talk of a Corps owned bus and it seems in the 80's that was fact. The bus was a 1970 MCI MC-6 coach seating 43 passengers. It was purchased on July 1, 1983 from Hausman Bus and Parts Co. in Des Plaines, Il. It was in the Corps possession until September of 1984, when it was put up for sale and subsequently sold by Hausman, as agents for the Corps. During the same period, it appears, the Imperials also owned two school buses. I'm not sure if they were used or not, but they too were disposed of and I don't know of any pictures of them. I have pictures of the coach and will send them to Larry, as soon as possible. Many thanks are due to Doris Ruchalski for the above information.

What years were you a Corps member? A Corps manager 76-79

Bob, neither Diane or I remember the vehicle that you refer to. It would be interesting if anyone does or by some chance has pictures of it. I've got copies of board minutes starting in 1975 and I find no mention of what might of happened to it.

What did you do in the Corps? Managed the Cadets in 1975 and the Imperials from 1976 to 1979

It was one of those long airport limos, about 4 doors on each side, and dark blue. No logos or anything. I have no idea what happened to it after 1973, but we kept it at our house that year (the neighbors LOVED it...).

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Mike Z, whatever happened to the story about Littlefield's truck, that you were going to post about the paint job. I understand were all getting older, so I thought I would jog your memory. I think it would be an interesting post even if it my be a little embarrassing. I haven,t found any pictures of the truck, but if any Littlefield has one, it would be great to see them added to the vehicles that served the Corps.

What did you do in the Corps? Cadet manager 1975 Imperial manager 1976-1979

wow ... this is getting complicated. We have seen a lot of posts recently about various corps equipment trucks .. most often discussed in the "White Whale".

There are also various vans and busses ...

Maybe somebody could look through all the website posts .. and talk to past members .. to get a full list?

It would be interesting to see ....

Personnally I don't get the interest in vehicles but that's probably my early to mid-60s experience in the corps. I remember the little truck in early 60s (never took it on long trips--rented a truck) and the panel delivery type trucks after that. But at that time most corps just had that type of truck.

Of course now, they have tractor trailers that hual instruments, uniforms, props, podiums, cots and soup kitchens to feed the troops. Suppose one or two corps have a truck that has a laundry and dry cleaning plant.