Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1965 ...what if....

1965 was a really major year for the Imperials. After a down year, the Corps had rebounded and was doing really well.

What if ...we had WON the July 5 show in Milwaukee (where we lost the Cavaliers by .1)

What if ... we had won the Elmhurst show 2 days before VFW Nationals?

What if ... our corps members had not insulted Don Angelica, who then told his judge friends that our corps should be dumped? (rumor)

MAYBE, we would have been much higher than 11th at Nationals?

Well, the truth is that the corps has done well and has played a big part in the lives of it's members. THAT IS WHAT IS MEANINGFUL AND IMPORTANT!

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Re: 1965 ...what if....

Yeah, and what if it hadn't rained all day on finals day? I was looking forward to doing the drill out on Soldier Field. What if we had? It was our home town, there was a strong home crowd. But we ended up in McCormick Place and very few people could actually see the show.

We had been doing so well that I actually thought we had a better chance at a good placement that night. On the upside, I thought our drill was one of the best we'd ever done. And I was thrilled to beat St. Kevin's for a change.

That was my last significant show, and I'll never forget that night. We came off the finish line and my family was right there cheering. It was a very special night.

What if... it's a great question.

What did you do in the Corps? Drumline

What years were you a Corps member? 1960-1965

GOOD POINT, LARRY. I AGREE THAT WITH A REAL DRUM CORPS SHOW, THE IMPERIALS WOULD HAVE DONE BETTER. AT LEAST IT WOULD HAVE BEEN MORE FUN!

BUT, I THINK THAT THE "JUDGES DECK" MAY HAVE BEEN STACKED AGAINST US.

Dave, I knew nothing about the situation with the judges, and still don't understand it. Perhaps you could elaborate?

And, why are you shouting? We aren't THAT old - yet!

Dave has brought up and interesting question which he and I have discussed several times over the past 5 years or so. The "what if" was probably more of a big deal for me in the late 60s. Now it's like one of those "hot stove" baseball stories--"What if that fan hadn't interferred with a foul ball in the Cubs/Marlins playoff in 2003." Interesting to talk about but doesn't change anything.

Anyway going into VFW Nationals in 1965, I expected we'd finish in the top 5 (even without beating the Cavaliers at the Midwest Dream or winning the Elmhurst show as Dave suggests as "what if?"). We hadn't finished ahead of the Cavaliers or Royal Airs all season but had been within a point or less of both of them. We'd been fairly even with the Vanguard with us finishing ahead of them more times than they beat us and had been about two points ahead of them at Elmhurst the Sunday before VFW Nationals. The Kilties hadn't finished ahead of us all season. We'd beaten the Troopers by two points during the season and lost to them by less than 0.2 points at Elmhurst. (Don't have all the scores memorized. The placement results and scores of all our contests were recorded in 1965 Banquet program which I found when this website started)

I also thought we'd finish ahead of the Eastern corps as we'd topped St Joseph's of Batavia by over six points at Elmhurst and they had been beating Sac, Boston , Garfield and St Kevins.

Well we ended up in 11th place. About a week after Nationals I'd heard from Pennington that at the manager's recap session Tony Schlecta, VFW contest director had told Rick, "Your boys need to be nicer to Don Angelica." Later in the fall Rick told me that when he went out to AL Nationals in Portland (I think he might have been a judge), he made Gail Royer (one of the VFW brass judges) listen to a recording and Royer admitted he was influenced by the other brass judge Corky Frabrizio. So we were dumped. All of this was rehashed again when a number of us got together in 2003 (we had an MLC reunion which included Brian Pennington).

I always suspected that things went on with the judges, this further confirmed it.

Anyway, I guess we can say that losing builds character. I would have been nice to have a top five finish in 1965 but it didn't happen. If you come in anything but first, you still lose.

I was actually more disappointed in 1966. We had a stronger corps that year but finished low at VFW Nationals. In 1966 VFW there were a few mistakes in the show but I suspect there still might have been some Don Angelica bias particularly with the eastern judges.

Another point, from my personal perspective is that the "payback" for insulting Angelica, shouldn't have even been considered by the judges at 1965 Nationals. Angelica wasn't judging and was brass instructor for the Troopers. Royer and Frabrizio, if they were honestly judging, shouldn't have been influenced by Angelica or anyone else. It's all politics.

Another side issue is why Royer was even judging the 1965 VFW show. Santa Clara wasn't yet a significant program and in retrospect it seems strange that a California person was judging VFW Nationals. Frabzizio was associated with St Joes of Batavia. Politics, I guess. A better what if-- "What if honest,impartial, and experienced judges were judging in 1965VFW Nationals?"

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone--Cadets 1959 through 1961 Imperials 1962 through 1966

Larry: you wrote ..

Dave, I knew nothing about the situation with the judges, and still don't understand it. Perhaps you could elaborate?
.........I will post some thoughts on this in reply to you and John.

And, why are you shouting? We aren't THAT old - yet!
....... I am not shouting (as you put it). I tend to use capital letters so I can read the stuff more easily. MY eyes aren't really good, especially on the PC

Re: 1965 VFW Nationals ....yes, a sad time.

The rain turned the contest into an indoor event (as had happened before in our history). This time, it was not good.

The judges for VFW seemed to be biased against Norwood due to an event earlier in the year. Don Angelica (a popular eastern judge) was insulted by some Imperials ... in Ottawa, I think. (Not sure).

But, he told his eastern friends and some of them were judgiing at VFW. The word seems to have been spread that Norwood needed to be put down. And, we were. :(

VFW judges then were selected by the VFW Committee, by Tony Schlecta.These people were all his friends and that is how it was. Call it "politics", call it friendship, or connections, whatever. It happened.

Dave,

This kind of question, although it's fun to talk about the "what ifs", is just like John said, it's like the question of that fly ball in the Cubs playoff game made a difference in the game. The fact is that if the Cubs had been ahead by 5 runs, they would have won. Also the outfielder when he left the Cubs admitted that the guy really didn't effect the outcome. There are tons of these types of theories out there with regard to the judges, many of which have merit.

I'm not putting down your theory, I'm just saying that I don't know of one corps that doesn't think they were jobbed at a major contest. I can imagine that Santa Clara could wonder about the 72 DCI championship results since they hadn't lost to Anaheim all year. Or Blue Devils would have some basis for complaint because they only lost once the entire year and both their world class and open class corps were odds on favorites to win, but amazingly both lost on the last day of the year. How many times have corps gone into finals undefeated and lost on the last day? Those people have a reason to wonder about the results and whether there was some bias involved.

The point is, we all have experienced these kinds of shows and results and fellows like Don Angelica. Don Angelica is in the DCI Hall of Fame, but we can see that he probably had five acts of favoritism and bias for every honest evaluation he made. Jump in the line. There are plenty of corps that were victims of Don and his gang's rumor mill and basically on their Sh---T list.
Each of these instances, and I can come up easily with ten right off the top of my head, were a travesty of justice and only effected the kids who marched the show. I always thought that drum corps was more or less legitimate until we ran into Don and the Eastern Judges at Shriners. We were warned that if we were in the Midwest we would beat these corps, but don't expect to beat them tonight. We didn't believe it, but were in 6th place. The next night in New York with a different set of judges we were in first. Go figure! Same stuff would happen in Wisconsin and Illinois. Illinois corps wouldn't win in Wisconsin very often and visa versa. There were even regional biases within the midwest judges. That's the problem with a subjective system or any system where corps bias gets in the way of accurate adjudication.

I guess what I am trying to say is that this kind of stuff happened all the time. Certain judges just saw themselves as king makers. It's politics as usual and at it's worst.

What did you do in the Corps? Brass Instructor, Corps Manager

The thing that got me (as a 17 year old in 1965) was that Schlecta admitted (during the critique after the contest)to Rick that "our boys needed to be nicer to Don." And Royer's comment to Rick about being influenced by Frabrizio. This in my view was proof that we were dumped. Actually, after learning that I was considering quiting after 1965. Was starting as a freshman at Northwestern and it seemed like a good time to make the break, but stayed another year because all my friends were still in Norwood and we going to be competitive in 1966.

Anyway, since Jerry's added more about the Cubs loss to the Marlins. I think there was a game in September 1969 against the Mets that Ernie Banks struck out with the bases loaded to end the game. If he'd hit a home run or doubled, the Cubs might have stopped the Mets. One of my son's buddies, just left for Cubs spring training (Jeff Steven's was just traded to the Cubs from Cleveland AAA team) so it's time to focus on baseball and more "what ifs" which I'm sure the Cubs (and Sox) will generate.

What years were you a Corps member? Cadets 1959 through 1961 Imperials 1962 through 1966

Angelica, Royer and Frabrizio are all DCI hall of fame members. So things didn't change from the days of 1965.

What years were you a Corps member? Cadets 1959 through 1961 Imperials 1962 through 1966

You could also always count on Phantom winning their home show. In fact, they were one of the only corps that actually COMPETED in their own show - the rest of us just did exhibitions (although they were sometimes judged, the scores were never announced). Tacky...

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

At the risk of being accused of bashing the Green Machine, during my time in the Imperials, the Cavaliers competed in their own show a couple of times. They didn't always compete but they did maybe two out of the five seasons I marched in the Imperials. Don't know their reason for doing that as I wasn't the norm back then.

It does seem to be the case in DCI at least in the West. But there are so few corps (really only two corps) when the Vanguard or Blue Devils sponsored a show they competed.

To reply to John about Angelica, Royer and Fabrizio being in DCI's hall of fame.....well in some cases it looks at time like a hall of shame.

I can see Royer making it because of his contributions to Santa Clara Vanguard. They were a power when he was their director, plain and simple. I would be remiss however if I didn't say that several shows were out of Kilter (no pun....well maybe it is intended) when he judged. He was not a good example of an unbiased judge.

Fabrizio was an East coast person through and through. He was a middle level judge who couldn't find the best horn line in a show if came up and bit him on the butt. As an instructor with St. Joes, he was great as well as with other corps that he worked with and wrote for. So I would put a question mark after his name.

The MAJOR question mark was with the selection of Don Angelica. Many can say that he changed the way people looked at drum corps and changed the direction of drum corps. Well, you could really make a case for that.
HOWEVER, the ill that he caused far outweighed any good he did. We all have heard of judges who would give scores based on where they thought the corps would place in finals....i.e. slotting. Angelica was the king of slotting! He would manipulate scores and other judges scores to not only alter the outcome of a particular years championship show, but he would manipulate scores to try to force the activity into the direction that HE decided was best. If a corps was doing what Don told them to do in his travels and "visits" with other heavyweight judges at certain corps winter camps, then he would pave the way. If they didn't alter their show to meet HIS expectations, they would get the dumper treatment. If pressed I could give 3 excellent examples of how he pressured 3 different top corps to program their shows in a certain way, and when of if they didn't, they would suffer the wrath of Don and the band of simpleton judges who followed him around like slobbering idiots. Sorta like Obamamania that we are experiencing. To make a long story short, DCI made a big mistake by promoting Don as their chief judge for so many years. It gave him the power to alter how corps placed, based on his own bias toward a more visual concept. I would say that in my opinion, if I had to choose one individual who did the most damage to the activity from a judging and performances standpoint it would be Don. He was called "The Don" for no good reason. Just think of him as The Godfather of drum corps, with his gang of boys.

Sorry of this is too direct or what some might find offensive. I saw too many cases where he trashed good corps to accept him in the same light as DCI has with his selection to the hall of fame. With him it truly is the hall of shame.

Don't apologize, Jerry. If what you say is true (and considering his treatment of Norwood in 1965, there is little reason to doubt you) then he deserves every bit of that attitude.

I always had a feeling that judging was biased but I chose to believe it was that way by its nature, being subjective and all. To discover that it was a personal vendetta foisted upon people that didn't behave the way he wanted them to makes it quite different.

In my opinion, it's despicable that a great activity was virtually destroyed by such shenanigans, and it's despicable that it was allowed to happen, too. Sounds like there were people all over the drum corps world that had little backbone to do the right thing, and those that did have the backbone just couldn't do enough to fix the problem.

In other words, what Angelica did to Norwood in 1965 was disgusting and I am personally insulted by it. An entire drum corps was put down because one of the adults couldn't handle some silly teenage language.

It takes a very little man to do what he did. I am not going to explicity state what I wish for him, but it involves not enjoying his DCI HOF dinner.

I don't apologize for what i said Larry, I was apologizing in advance in case anyone was offended by how descriptive I was about Angelica. He was no role model, that's for sure. I am not proud to speak of an individual who is dead in this way, but we do have a responsibility to state the facts clearly with regard to the manipulation that occurred in drum corps by certain individuals. I was just pointing out the worse case scenario.

Dave is right. There are jerks in any kind of activity and unfortunately they end up in very powerful positions, like chief judge in DCI or something like that.

I also agree that we shouldn't beat this horse much anymore. But clarity was needed with regard to that individual. Many of us experienced his wrath and have the scars and the t-shirts to prove it.

By the way, what did the kids in Norwood say about Angelica in 65 that would bring on his wrath? I have no doubt that it did in fact happen, just wondered what was said that was so wrong that he took revenge on the corps. If you don't want to post it here, and I certainly can understand why, drop me an email. It would be interesting to know if he was pulling the crap he pulled later in his life back even in the mid 60s.

Well, regardless of the "what ifs" and the problems.... 1965 was a FINE year for the corps. Great show. Great kids. Great staff. Lots of fun!!
I had a great time teaching and working with this corps. Some of my best Corps memories.

'65 was my best year in the corps by far. We won several shows after a tough year in '64. Yes we should have been much higher in finals since we had beaten several corps that finished ahead if us consistenly.....but it didn't ruin the memories...great fun.

Those were some very strong years for the Imperials. In the end, it really doesn't matter who did what in the judging thing. What matters is that you have great memories that are expressed by those who experienced those years. One set of judges at a show cannot take away the fact that the corps was very good and the people had a great time marching together. That, in the end, is what really matters the most.

That last post I sent was a test,because for some
reason unknown to me I couldn't post any reply to
any topic on the Forum.This was going on for some
time now but now it seems that the problem has
corrected its self.

In reply to 1965 Nationals here in Chicago,I had
no idea that was taking place here,and the reason
for that was I went into the Army that week,but
from what I heard about it,and also listening to
the CD's that came out later,I wish I could've