Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Teaching the kids

Bob Shreffler recenty posted a comment about how George Munzer (Cadet drum instructor) used to SING the drum parts for the kids to learn! See below:

"George Munzer was a great guy. He had a unique way of singing our parts (most of the kids didn't read much music, if any), that Dad and I still joke about!"

BUT, this was fairly common in the "early days". I remember this being done with Frank Arsenault in the late 50s. Maybe similar stuff was done in other years too?

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Re: Teaching the kids

Not quite singing but for those who remember: "Beady, beady, beady..."

And Dave, how about "32". Bub zidly bub zidly bub zi bub si ba...

No wonder the horn line thought we were (are) strange!

What did you do in the Corps? Drum, Instruct

What years were you a Corps member? 61-69

John, thanks for the reminder about the "singing rudiments"!!

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

I had the pleasure of working with George Munzer and Dick Snyder when I first started working with Scarlet Knights. Both of these gentlemen had a gift for being able to teach kids who had never played enough skills to participate in a very quick time. I have great appreciation for both of them and learned a lot about how to get a kid started and motivated from them. Both George and Dick worked with many of the cadet or b corps in the area and had an impact on establishing a solid foundation for many corps. The were both gentlemen and highly regarded by their peers.

What did you do in the Corps? Brass Instructor, Corps Manager

speaking of instructing kids, remember Rick Maass getting our corps to do CLOSE ORDER DRILL in the Kedzie Avenue armory as a way of learning how to march ?

We did OK with the BASIC stuff, but he'd always get it going with harder and faster commands. We'd always end up in confusion!

Dave, in 1974 I was still in the Army Reserve and tried to convince Lynn Hauscheer to let me send some Drill Sergeants to teach the cadets some basic drill. She politely refused saying she thought the M & M people were quite capable. I agreed when it came to the field show, but their was little question that the DI's were pros when it came to basic drill. I have always felt it was a missed opportunity to lay a more solid base for later years, but I must admit when I took over the management of the cadets in 1975 that the idea never entered my head. I can hardly imagine the B Corps arguing with those guys. Some of them scared me and I was wearing a silver leaf at the time.

As to Bob's comments about George Munzer and Dick Snyder, there is no question they were two of the best when it came to teaching and handling cadet level aged members. I will forever be indebted to both for laying the frame work for the success of the Imperials in the late 1970's. With out them, none of the rest would have been possible. My only regret was that I never had the opportunity to thank George, but I hope both knew how grateful I am for all they did.

What did you do in the Corps? Manager Cadets1975, Manager Imperials !976- 1979