Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Overage members!

Some recent posts have talked about the Imperials using overage members in the 1970s.

This was not at all common in my time with the corps.

What do others have to say?

Re: Overage members!

Nope, wrong geographical location. Had to be on the East coast to get away with that, or have a really convincing fake birth certificate and drivers license. If Don Warren even got a sniff of that, and your corps was within 10 points of his he would have ratted the person out. (i.e. Muchachos, Bridgemen etc.) LOL

But we heard that you had to be at least 27 to be in 27th Lancers. They folded the corps so nobody would find out the average age or they would have had to change their name to the 28th Lancers.

What did you do in the Corps? Brass Instructor, Corps Manager

This was something that bothered me to no end, though being so young there wasn't anything I could do about it. Norwood marched several overage members in the early 70s. I think we "got away with it" because we weren't that strong competitively (as opposed to the other corps Jerry mentions). And it wasn't necessary.

And Jerry, the Cavaliers were only involved in the Muchachos incident - had nothing to do with the Crossmen or Bridgemen in following years. The East was so desperate to win, they would have done anything at that point.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Bob, first why would it bother you when you were so young? If you could prove it than you should have spoke up. Second, there probably were some guys over age. But there was more of an attitude of don't ask don't tell. I know for sure there were other corps in the Midwest with over age guys, but just one year or so over. I'm sure if it was such a horrific thing that all corps would have had to produce birth certificates before each show, just to keep Don Warren happy.

Steve:

In the days of the Illinois D&C Corps association, each corps DID have to produce a birth certificate for all members.

I was 13 - I didn't say anything. I learned my music and drill, tried to avoid the older guys in the corps when they were looking for entertainment from the new guys on bus trips, and stuck with the guys I came up from the Cadets with!

But it did bother me, mostly because my Dad raised me that Right was Right, and there weren't many gray areas. Still feel that way, thank you very much, Dad!

And after the 70s overage incidents, DCI DID check birth certificates. In fact, in 1980, Spirit kept mine at the front of the pile, because guys from SCV and Devs recognized me from 74-76 and wondered how I had resurfaced in Atlanta four years later. I was checked almost every other show!

I didn't mean to upset anyone, but it always bothered me (and NOT because I went on to the Cavaliers). I'm a play by the rules, touch all the bases guy, and always have been.

Producing birth certificates and actually checking them with the people are two different things. Otherwise overage and members from other corps wouldn't have been in inspections. I know that Des Plaines Vanguard had over age people. And I know for a fact that one guy from the beloved Cavies was over age. But I guess Don Warren was too busy worrying about other corps to check his own.

I copied many of the postings for Jim and when he read about Stojack he remembered that he wanted to march competition in 1976 so he could keep his marching streak going. Jim wouldn't let him because of over-age but does remember that he marched in a parade. (Maybe he was 30? jk ) Jerry - Jim wondered if he marched in '81 when you were manager? :)

What did you do in the Corps? Too much too list 1973 - 1979

Must be one of the things that happened in the late 60s and after. Don't recollect Norwood marching overaged members during early to mid-60s. Only other overage big deals I recollect was Vasella Musketeers in 1965 VFW. Also recollect hearing about Hawthrone Junior corps in 1976 DCI and maybe the Bridgemen in one of the late 1970s DCI championships.

What years were you a Corps member? Cadets 1959 through 1961 Imperials 1962 through 1966

Muchachos 1975
Crossmen 1976
Bridgement 1977

Think the East was desperate to win again?