Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Corps trips to Nationals

A number of alumni posts have talked about corps trips to New Orleans. While those trips might have been a lot of "fun", there are a lot of other corps trips to Nationals we could mention.

I remember going to Denver in 1961 for AL Nationals. We took the train ... and the Royal Airs were with us on the trip! We had a lot of fun on that trip ... there and back! (Not sure if that was a "private" train or a regular "Amtrak".)

Re: Corps trips to Nationals

Dave,

Amtrak didn't exist until about 1972 or 1973. You were either on the Burlington RR or Rock Island RR most likely. If it was a private train, it might have been a circus train with that group (Norwood and the Royal Airs). Of course the younger alumns might think you went to Denver by Wagon Train.

The trip to Denver would have been murder by bus as the Interstate System in 1961 didn't go all the way to Denver. I don't believe it was complete west of Des Moines at that time.

During my time in the Imperials we went to Nationals in Minneapolis (1962), Cleveland (1964) and New York (1966). Of course we had Nationals in Chicago in 1965 and I don't even recollect whether we had a bus trip from Billy Caldwell to McCormick Place. But aside from those three trips we also had two other trips to New York (1963 for the Dream and 1965 for the World's Fair, a trip to Bellefountain Ohio in 1962 and two trips to Sarina Ontario (1964 and 1965). So we spent a lot of time on the Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania and New Jersy Turnpikes. Nothing like waking up after riding all night and drinking a warm can of Coke at about 5 am. I still remember the stale smell of cigarette smoke in the bus. Somewhere I have a picture of Bruce Borck, Bill Blomquist, Will Koening and Ted Orland passing about a bottle of Scope at the breakfest stop on the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

The trips to New York (aka Sodom on the Hudson) were probably the most fun (except for the gang fight in 1965 and the lousy hotel in downtown Newark). The trip in 1963 also included a visit for a few days in Washington DC. Don't know why we went to DC as we didn't have any shows or exhibition but the corps did see some of the sights--suppose management thought it would be good to do an historic side trip. I did like the 1965 trip (aside from the gang fight) because my parents came out and our family stayed in Manhattan for four days seeing the sights, a couple of broadway shows and a visit to Yankee Stadium. I've been to Manhattan a number of times since then on business but never have had the time to enjoy the city.

In 1966 about a dozen of us got on the subway and went to Coney Island to ride the Cyclone and a few other coasters. I think that a few of the instructors and guys close to 21 with fake IDs went into the Manhattan Playboy Club that year as well.

What years were you a Corps member? Cadets 1959 through 1961 Imperials 1962 through 1966

Re: Denver trip

Well, I knew that the train wasn't AMTRAK, but I couldn't remember if it was a private (ie. charter) thing or if we really just went with all those corps kids on a regular public train.

It must have been a charter deal, because we also had all of our equipment and uniforms to tote too!

The trip was a lot of fun. 'Course, we got along well with the Royal Airs.

Going to the 1958 VFW Nationals in New York was also an experience:

1. That bus ride (before most of the interstate) was really long.

2. Saw all those great eastern corps ... we didn't see their style and hear their music often. In those days, they were really different. We were able to see the corps (and meet their members) at the (dreaded) inspection, held in Central Park; the prelims and finals, both at the famed Ebbetts Field in Brooklyn;and also, of course the night parade.

3. This was the year that our drum quartet won the National Championship, and Tony DeMarco won the Individual Snare Championship. Beating the drummers of Blessed Sacrament!!

4. Stayed in a downtown hotel (the Henry Hudson ...now a POSH place), took the NY transit to do tours, had a ball. Even ate in an AUTOMAT!

Splitting the topic a bit. The trips out to NewYork in 1965 and 1966 were highlighted by shows on the way out in Ohio and Pennsyvania. The Marion show in Ohio was always uplifting and further bonding with the Royal Aires and Vanguard. We didn't always get hosed and showed we didn't want to lose.

In addition to the fine points John Anderson made about Cony Island.....the corps was allowed extensive free time at the Words Fair in 1965 culminating in the good bye visit from the NY thugs on our way out.

I fail to believe the mouth wash took care of 2+ days on our return to Chicago did much to help the smoke and stench of unwashed clothes on the bus. We did learn how not to live or travel once out of drum corps.

I was compelled into a corporate instate trip by bus once in my career but flat out will not get on a bus unless it's a touring bus for myself(also known as-it ain't gonna happen).

It could've been worse...I could die green.

The trip to Denver was on the Burlington, a regularly scheduled train. We had entire cars reserved for Norwood and the Royal Airs. No other passengers would have wanted to be in our cars!

What did you do in the Corps? Drumline

What years were you a Corps member? 1960-1965

I think the trips pre-DCI were more fun than they are now. Yes, everyone wanted to do well, especially those with a shot at winning, but the atmosphere was probably a bit looser and less pressurized than DCI has made it, where finals is the ONLY measure of a season's success.

Our New Orleans trips in 78-79 may have been the last of a dying breed.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Ralph,

The Scope bottle was only for that first night on the bus. There is no way Scope would have made any difference on the way back. In 1965 my sister and I were lucky because our parents came out and we spent some days touring Sodom on the Hudson. We came back by United Airlines rather than the bus.

I agree with you about riding a bus on a long trip. I also avoid that now and try to stick to just riding buses between the airport terminal and rental car place or a downtown hotel. Although riding economy class on most domestic airlines now days for any longer than an hour is like riding the corps buses.

I expect that Davidsmeyer had to hose down the floors of the buses after we returned from most of those long trips. I wasn't in the Imperials for the Denver trip but if both the Royal Airs and Imperials had a rail car to themselves, but the railroad probably had some serious cleaning to do as well and probably wished they'd provided the corps with a "cattle car."

I imagine that what Bob says is true. Our trips pre-DCI were more fun. We did a few long trips a year. The DCI kids live in those buses for a month or longer and when they stop anywhere are sleeping in high school gyms. We always stayed in motels or hotels. Although some of them, Cleveland in 1964 and Newark in 1965 weren't great, it was better than a cot in a gym. We did stay in a few gyms on trips that involved on night (Peoria, Racine, Indiana and Sarnia) but that was the exception rather than the norm.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone--Cadets 1959 through 1961 Imperials 1962 through 1966

John-I wasn't on the Denver trip either but I'm sure the railroad wished the corps returned on cattle cars. I only imagine the outcome if the corps had sleeper cars!?!

In 1966 my parents decided it was a good idea to vacation out east leaving the day after the corps returned. My brother and I pleaded they drive out to NewYork and we could go from there. Yep, they won, and the 'family' drove back to NY......you could say the children were less than cooperative on the road trip back east.

No, I haven't returned to NY since then.....

The trip to Minneapolis for 1959 Legion Nationals was also fun. Long bus trip. Stayed at the University dorms. Lots of corps around.

There were NO prelims (although Legion DID have prelims some years). Each corps did it's FULL show and the scores were announced when ready. No retreat. The winning junior corps was allowed to perform in exhibition at the Senior finals.

That night, there was a junior show in Stillwater ...using non AL judges. Suddenly, BS and Cavaliers were TIED for first, and the Imperials were in third place only 1.5 points behind!

Go figure.

We also stayed in University of Minnesota dorms in 1962. I don't recollect any other corps in that particular dorm though.

Funny, when I lived in Minnesota in the early 1980s I worked on a project involving construction of a parking garage on the field where they held VFW prelims. Prelims were on an athletic field adjacent the University Stadium. The finals were at Parade Stadium west of downtown--I think that was a stadium used for high school football. I went to see a DCI show at Parade Stadium in 1981 but expect it might have been torn down as I think that area has been developed into some kind of cultural center--World of Lutefisk or something like that.

What years were you a Corps member? Cadets 1959 through 1961 Imperials 1962 through 1966

I remember my 1st.Nationals,went to Miami in 57',
when we arrived at our hotel on Collins Ave.and got
off the bus it was like walking into a furnance,it
was so humid that day you could cut it wth a knife.

And of course at the contest,that was when the "Fight
Fest" started after the scores were read.I can still
picture it after all these years.

Our trip to 58' Nationals in New York had to be one
of the best,like you said Dave,seeing the eastern
corps together in Central Park for inspection,made
me fell like I was in a different world.

Nationals in Minneapolis back in 59'reminded me of
our first encounter with St.Vinnies in our dorm,and
at first it didn't look good for the few of us that
ran into some of them that day,but after a few very
long minutes and I mean long,we actually became good
friends,and I think what started it all was whether
we liked or were friends with the Cavaliers,but after
we talked to them for awhile everything calmed down.

Denver in 61' was a trip,especially on the train,it
seemed like it took forever to get there,and if I'm
not mistaken we took the Denver Zephyr from Union
Station,Chicago.I think the station had the same
name at that time.

That was the main reason we didn't go to VFW in
Miami that same year because of the expense of the
Denver trip.

Nationals in Minneapolis in 62'was one I'll never
forget because of what you said Dave about how the
scores were posted as soon as they were tabulated
at the judges table.When we got on the starting line
I noticed Blessed Sac was sitting on the far side of
the field waiting for the Cavaliers scores to posted
on the board they had erected in the stands and when
they posted the Cavaliers score.Blessed Sac started
to celebrate winning it,and here we are on the
starting line waiting to go on,was that a bad
feeling.I can picture that also when I think about
it.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963

We always loved getting dorms after a week or more of gym floors! It also usually meant there were other corps on campus, as opposed to being alone in a school. Of course, we always rearranged the assigned room partners...

I did drum corps both ways - local shows with a nationals trip at the end of the summer, and constant touring with Spirit in 1980. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. Doing it the long way for one year was great - like a travelling rock band. But I don't think I would have lasted the 11 years I marched if every year had been like that. I actually missed parades - once or twice - in 1980.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Rich,

I believe you are referring to Minneapolis American Legion Nationals in 1959. 1962 was VFW where there was a prelims (we took 5th right behind SAC) and finals.

I'd heard about 1959. I also recollect that in 1959 the Legion contest was during the day and that evening there was a contest in Stillwater, MN, that had all of the top corps but St Vincent's. So it was sort of like a finals. Sac and the Cavaliers tied with Norwood in third.

1960 VFW - DETROIT, MI

1960 VFW was held in Detroit, which was a dirty and dangerous city even then. We stayed in Windsor, Canada, just across the river from downtown Detroit (took a tunnel to get there).

That was my first experience with “foreign” currency. They called them dollars but they were different than US dollars, and, of course, had a different value. Took some ‘getting used to’ when shopping!

I remember practicing our “prelim” (short) drill and seeing the Royal Airs nearby. They were still a “lower level” corps, but would soon change that!

Not sure where prelims were held, but Finals were at the famed Tiger Stadium. Another great stadium for drum corps. Remember seeing Blessed Sac again. A great corps.

I remember being on the starting line, watching the (then) Skokie Vanguard perform ahead of us.

Imperials did OK, placing 7th in prelims and finals.

More about Denver: 1961

As I recall, we stayed at an Air Force Base near Denver (Lackland?) and the Garfield Cadets were there too. I remember watching them have a music practice with (our “friend”) Don Angelica leading them. They were very good .. and won the National Title that year.

We were 4th in prelims and 3rd in Finals. But, that “new corps”, the Royal Airs were ahead of is in 2nd place! We also beat the Troopers ..that wouldn’t continue for long!

I'm interested in hearing about Miami in 1957. Also, about St Vincent's Cadets. They were a powerhouse in the East and seem to recollect they won VFW Nationals for about five or six years straight. The streak ended in 1957. Never saw them after I came up to the Imperials in 1962. Seem to recollect they might have finished third or fourth at AL Nationals in 1959 but didn't get invited to Stillwater that night for the unofficial finals contest because of some previous fight.

Rich Biver:

You spoke about seeing BS waiting for the Cavaliers score and the celebrating their win! I remember that too. (Of course, the Cavaliers were their main competition that year.) But, it left a bad taste in our mouths.

But can you imagine how the Garfield Cadets felt? They were lined up behind us .. to compete next. They were the National Champs in 1957 and were 3rd in 1958. Their church sponsor dumped them and they had to rebuild totally on their own in 1959. Yet, they made it to Nationals and were 7th (we were 6th).

I'd say that Sac's reaction in 1959 was more the result of the system than the corps showing up other corps. I'd expect any corps would react that way if their primary competition's score was posted and it was lower than their posted score. The way you all have described the 1959 Legion Nationals is what I recollect at Legion State prelims and VFW Nationals prelims--scores posted as soon as they are available. I wasn't at Legion Nationals in 1961 in Denver but seems they changed the format after 1959 had a prelims and finals.

Anyway, as I noted before the people in Stillwater had a contest that evening which was essentially Legion Finals with the top 8 corps from American Legion minus St Vincents. The Cavaliers and Sac tied with Norwood in third.

1962 VFW - MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Long bus trip to Minneapolis. Stayed at the University of Minnesota dorms again. Many corps stayed there and we shared fields with many. Saw a lot of corps. We placed 5th in prelims, beating St. Kevin’s Emerald Knights, who used a practice field next to us later that day. I remember them watching us a little more carefully as we marched past them to the practice field!

Our Color Guard won the National Title, with a good show! The Corps placed 7th in Finals however. It seems that “The Queen of Sheba” was our undoing!

The Royal Airs thought this would be their big year (“Big Blue in ‘62” was their cry) and they did well, but the Cavaliers (ugh) won again, beating the RA by about 1 ½ points. Garfield and BS followed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I enjoyed the 1962 VFW Nationals trip more than many of the others. Probably because there were some people in management who for some reason feared that we wouldn't make finals. Fifth place in prelims wasn't expected.

Also, it was a nice setting. Minneapolis/St Paul wasn't as congested a city as say New York or Chicago, the University of Minnesota accomodations were great, and it was also my first Nationals. It was the first time I saw Blessed Sacrament and St Kevins up close. The photos I'd seen of St Kevin's didn't do justice to the green, red and white uniforms.

I also remember standing on the starting line and watching Madison's entire show. Usually we came to the line when the other corps was about half way through their show. But in Minneapolis they had the next corps move to the starting line right after the previous corps entered the field. Except for Cleveland in 1964 where we watched the VFW finals from the stands, that was maybe the only other time I saw another corps' complete preformance from a decent vantage point.

Norwood took 6th in the finals,4th in the prelims,we
beat Blessed Sac and Madison in the prelims.Cavaliers
beat St.Vincents by less than a point and us by just
over 3 points in the finals,and when I think of it
now really wasn't that bad and they only had 7 Corps
in the finals that year.

I didn't march in either the finals or the prelims
in that contest because I was a substitute that year
or part of it anyway.Norwood had a few that year and
once I was in the starting line-up,I'm not sure if
we ever had them again,after that year.

One of the things I do remember is that the weather
that evening during the contest was rainey,on and off
during the day as well.Thats why they decided not to
have a Grand Finale,just had the Drum Majors line-up
front and center.Than of course after the scores
were read,the "Fight Fest" began.I headed for our
bus when it started and our managment was trying to
the same with everyone else,I'm not sure who stayed
to join in or those who tried to stop it.

I know St.Vinnies intent was to take no prisoners.
They were not only a great Corps on the field,but
they also knew how to stand up to anyone.You didn't
want to get on there bad side.

What actually started the fight began way before the
the season started or the very begining of the season
and I think is was just a matter of some things being
said back and forth between the Cavaliers and
St.Vinnies and it created this dislike for each
other.I wasn't really aware of what was going on
between the two in the beginning until after I heard
it from someone else.

One nice experience I had there was being in the
pararde which was held in the evening and it rained
at that time to,just a brief shower,but talk about
humidity,I think that was when I really learned what
humidity meant,during that week in Miami.

Everyone should get a good laugh at this,anytime we
planned on going to one or both National's we had to
hand in money before we left on the trip to cover
our meals every day we were gone.For that trip to
Miami we had to come up with $21.00 for that week.
They would hand us $3.00 each day to cover our meals.
but of course you had extra money besides that.How
times have changed.

I also can remember a couple of people being stung
by jellyfish when they went swimming in the ocean
one day that's when I decided to stay out and go
in the hotel pool that they had.Back than most of the
pools were salt water but there was one hotel down
the beach from ours that had a fresh water pool that
we would sneak into at night and swim until we were
caught,but than we would try it again a day or two
later.

I have to say it was a nice experience over all,
especially it being my first real trip away from home
and going to Miami at my age.I'm sure everyone can
relate to that.

Rich,

Thanks for the 1957 Miami/St Vincent's background. And now that you mention it, it was pretty standard for my years in the Imperials (1962-1966) for the corps to collect some money from each member--$3 to $4 for each day--we were on the road. Usually the corps treasurer or business manager doled out the money to each kid every day. Good insurance that everyone would at least have money to eat.

I think on one trip we each had to come up with $24. The daily allowance was $4. Each kid got two $2 bills each day. I haven't seen a $2 bill in years--maybe they aren't in circulation any more.

Anyway as you said, don't know what one could buy today with a $3 or $4 a day allowance. In the late 50s and mid-60s that at least bought three modest meals.

It seems that the doling out of money was a continuing story on tour. In 1978 and 1979, each member had to pay a hundred dollars up front and was given ten dollars per day for meals. I have an uneasy feeling that in both years that there were a number of members who may have not eaten, but saved the money for other activities in New Orleans. It probably is just as well that I didn't know at the time but at least it seems we were spared the fights.

What did you do in the Corps? Manager Cadets 1975 - Manager Imperials 1976-1979

Rich, thanks for the memories about 1957 VFW National! Great stories. Yes, the Imperials did well that year!

BTW, I think that the "bad blood" between Cavaliers and St. Vinnies may have started even earlier. Perhaps in 1956 when they were head to head in the VFW Nationals again. That year, St. Vinnies beat the Cavaliers. Norwood Park was right in the hunt too, beating Cavaliers in Finals and St. Vinnies in prelims!

I think that Imperials and St. Vincents stayed together at an Air Force base or some such place in Dallas that year. So, the two corps got to know each other. I seem to remember that Rick Maass was a friend of their corps director, Mickey Petrone. (Another reason we were invited to the Dream in 1963).

Re: St. Vincents Cadets:

Rich Biver said: "I know St.Vinnie's intent was to take no prisoners. They were not only a great Corps on the field, but they also knew how to stand up to anyone.You didn't want to get on their bad side."
------------------------------------------------

St. Vinnies was a corps from a VERY tough neighborhood in Bayonne, NJ. Like a Chicago West Side but worse (industrial area, docks). Lots of their kids were from poor families or even lived by themselves. They were street fighters and were tough. But, you NEVER wanted to slam their corps!

To them, the Corps was their life. The corps lasted for 15 years and in that time won TEN National Championships. Not bad!

Rich Biver spoke about the 1957 VFW Nationals and how well the Imperials did. He was right .. look at the scores below:

Junior prelims (11 corps):
1. Cavaliers 92.70
2. Belleville Black Knights 92.50
3. St. Vincent’s 92.30
4. Imperials 91.85
5. Madison Scouts 91.45
6. Blessed Sacrament 91.40
7. Audubon All Girl 90.50

Junior Finals (7 corps):
1. Cavaliers 93.20
2. St. Vincent’s 92.50
3. Belleville Black Knights 92.00
4. Blessed Sacrament 91.80
5. Madison Scouts 90.45
6. Imperials 90.40
7. Audubon 90.15

Other than the contest I recollect going to a Garfield Cadets practice on the Monday after the Dream. Their horn line practiced in a small room in the basement of the Legion hall. Bill Caldwell was a palace compared to that location.

Bigger part of the trip was the after contest visit to Washington DC area. We didn't have any shows or parades. Stayed at a motel in Alexandria VA. I'd done the tourist thing with my parents about 5 years earlier and don't really recollect anything specific on that visit. Don't really know why we spent the money to extend the trip to Washington DC.

As we were leaving, buses of people were arriving for the start of the historic Civil Rights Rally that happened a few days later. I recollect noticing a lot of buses going toward the city as we were driving Northwest through Maryland.

Dave you mentioned about going to Bellefontaine,Ohio
in 62.I remember after that contest was over a bunch
of us drove up to New Jersey to see the "Dream" the
next day.We drove all night taking turns at the wheel
so we could get there on time.And there's really only
two things that stand out in my mind,or I should say
that I really can remember one is being stopped by
the Massachusett's State Police for speeding,which we
had to pay a fine on the spo.We were taking to the
station and payed it there before we could continue
on our trip.

The other thing was we arrived in Bayonne,NJ in time
to go to Mass at St.Vincents Church and as we were
sitting there during Mass,the priest went up to the
pulpit and reminded everyone to make sure they go to
the contest this afternoon.At the time I thought
"WOW",never expected that.It took me by surprise.

I'm still try to remember something about the contest
itself but no luck,so far.

Rich, don't forget that the NATIONAL DREAM Invitational contest was run by the St. Vincent's Cadets as a fund raiser each year. They were sponsored by the church you attended that morning, so an announcement made a lot of sense!

That contest ran for over 20 years and always had a great attendance. The corps must have made a lot of money over the years.

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

1966 VFW - NEW YORK, NY

Major Scores. Contests held at Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City, NJ
Junior prelims (49 corps competed)
1. Troopers 88.45
2. Des Plaines Vanguard 86.95
3. Cavaliers 86.90
4. Boston Crusaders 86.00
5. Royal Airs 85.70
6. Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights 85.60
7. St. Lucy’s Cadets (NJ) 84.8
8. Kilties 82.65
9. Norwood Park Imperials 84.35
10. Madison Scouts 84.00
11. St. Josephs NY 83.40
12. St. Kevin’s Emerald Knights 83.35

Junior Finals (12 corps):
1. Troopers 90.45
2. Cavaliers 89.65
3. Boston Crusaders 88.55
4. Des Plaines Vanguard 87.4
5. Blessed Sacrament 87.25
6. Royal Airs 85.5
7. St. Lucy’s 84.65
8. Kilties 82.75
9. St. Joseph’s 82.00
10. St. Kevin’s 79.7
11. Imperials 79.4
12. Madison Scouts 77.80
----------------------------------------------------

From David Borck:

The corps was better in 1966, with good results through the season. Norwood did fairly well in the prelims and looked forward to the Finals. But, a corps which hadn’t made the finals by a small margin, the Immaculate Conception Reveries, from Boston, staged a protest. By a trick, they managed to enter the field and stage a sit-down on the contest starting line! Must have been quite a sight!

While the VW officials tried to resolve this, the contest was delayed. All the corps arriving for their performances were forced to wait. I still believe that this hurt the Imperials. (This corps later became the 27th Lancers).
----------------------------------------------------------

From John Anderson:
In 1966 about a dozen of us got on the subway and went to Coney Island to ride the Cyclone and a few other coasters. I think that a few of the instructors and guys close to 21 with fake IDs went into the Manhattan Playboy Club that year as well.

1967 - VFW, NEW ORLEANS

Scores (Finals):

1. Cavaliers 87.65
2. Troopers 87.2
3. Des Plaines Vanguard 86.65
4. Royal Airs 86.25
5. Kilties 83.70
6. Racine Scouts 78.45
7. Blue Rock, DE 77.8
8. Millstadt Cruisaders, IL 76.5
9. Imperials 75.70
10. Blue Stars, LaCrosse, WI 74.4

Note: Imperials were 7th in prelims. 26 corps competed. Black Knights were 13th, Madison Scouts were 15th

----------------------------------

Any alumni memories from THIS trip?

Talking about the St. Vincent's Cadets reminded me that, when we attended the 1958 VFW National in New York, we went to a practice field out along the Harbor. This was the field St. Vinnies used for their drill practices. The park overlooked the Statue of Liberty.

When we completed our drill practice, we went to St. Vinnies hall (church?) to attend their music practice. They were very good and very typical of the "eastern" corps style. At that time, we got along well with their members.

From Mickey Graeber about 1956 VFW, Dallas:

I forgot to mention that (I believe) we took top drums at the VFW nationals in Dallas. I know we were above the Cavaliers. I saw the scored somewhere but can't be positive. During the grand finale, the drum judge came out on the field and told me that he had never seen a girl drum like I did. (Do you think he meant that in a good way?)

More from Mickey Graeber about 1956, Dallas:

We stayed at the Air Force Base in Fort Worth, Texas. The girls were housed in the Waves quarters. We were lucky! It was the only air-conditioned area. It was so hot in Texas that I went there with long blond hair and returned home with short blond hair.