Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Anyone planning on attending any shows this Summer?

The fresh cut lawn smell always reminds me of corps season. Just wondering if anyone has plans to attend a show or two....

What did you do in the Corps? Guard

What years were you a Corps member? 1973-1977

Re: Anyone planning on attending any shows this Summer?

The locker room at the gym always reminds me of the bus after a parade. The grass is a more pleasant memory.

I hope to get to the Cavies show to visit with the alums.

What did you do in the Corps? drum, instruct

What years were you a Corps member? 61-69

Planning on the Cavie show June 27th in Naperville and maybe Rockford on June 19. Also Indianapolis for the finals in August.

Not too many shows in the Midwest between July 6th and DCI week in Indy....so if you want to go to a show check the schedule.

I may catch a senior show so I can see a bunch of my former students in Kilts, Govies and all the other senior corps in the area. As for DCI, It's too far to drive and too expensive to hear shows that I really don't care for. I know I sound like a grinch, but I will save the money and watch some old shows on DVD.

At least they played more and marched less back then. Drum & Bugle corps = Drums and Bugles as the primary focus, not some visual production with music accompaniment. Sorry, I'm just pretty set in my ways and still like the old shows from the 70s, 80s, and even some of the 90s.

I will go to see a few band shows though this fall, just not this summer. LOL

What did you do in the Corps? Brass Instructor, Arranger and Corps manager in 81

I will probably go to the Small Drum Corps Assoc.
show in McHenry July 18th--and Rockford is only
approx. 40 minutes from my house--so, Rockford on
June 19th sounds good.

What did you do in the Corps? Color Guard

What years were you a Corps member? 69 & 70

Mc Henry!

July 18, "Drum Corps Magic"
Mc Henry West High School
Mc Henry, IL.

Time 7:00PM
tickets .00

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

I was browsing the Corpsrep site and ended up checking out the 2009 repitores posted for the corps. I noted that the Blue Devils are playing a number of their jazz music from the past--the theme of the show is 1930. So I'll at least enjoy their show and I might buy a ticket to the contest at Leland Stanford Junior University's stadium in July. Other than the Vanguard and Renegades (senior) corps I don't expect a lot unless the Velvet Knights are in the show. Otherwise it's a nice stadium with hot dogs.

One surprise though is the Holy Name Cadets. Seems that the Allentown Cadets have changed their name for one year as part of the 75th Anniversary of the founding of the Holy Name Cadets. Either Hopkins isn't in charge or he's decided to change his act as the Cadets repitore is pretty much a reprise of their 1962 show which featured West Side Story. They aren't playing the French National Defile though, just West Side Story stuff. Some of the same numbers. Would be interesting it they play the 1962 arrangements. So there might actually be two corps at DCI that play music people have actually heard. before. Of course I might be wrong and the Cadets will sing most of the West Side Story music.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone

What years were you a Corps member? 1959-1961 Cadets 1962-1966 Imperials

Re: Cadets

John, this is the 75th anniversary year for the Cadets and they DID change the corps name, temporarily, to the HOLY NAME CADETS.
They are featuring "West Side Story" for their program .. which they did in 1962. Not sure why they chose this, but it will (hopefully) be recognizable ti the fans.

Yes, Hopkins is still the Corps Director. I think he is doing a lot of this to get more alumni support. The Cadets will sponsor FOUR contests this year. And, they are having a major alumni bash the weekend of August 1-2 in New Jersey. Ditto at Indianapolis.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

My guess is that their show will be much closer to the 1984 DCI Championship version than the 1962 one. In my opinion, that was the best show ever in drum corps, and everything started to go crazy after that, based on the visual innovations that the Cadets started around that time. As for it being recognizable, I'm sure Hopkins will do his best to keep that from happening...

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

I haven't been to a corps show in almost 20 years, and I'm not sure if that will change this summer or not.

Bob - that 1984 Cadet show was one of my favorites as well. Musically great and the visuals just blew me away. It did seem to propel things in a crazier direction. Not just the drills, but their West Side Story was a little frenetic, so it seemed like the reaction was if that was good then really strange music must be better.

What did you do in the Corps? Soprano

What years were you a Corps member? 1975-1979 & 81

I just bought two very expensive seats to the DCI West Show at Leland Stanford Junior University Stadium at the end of June. The price does include a BBQ dinner catered by one of the best BBQ resturants in the Bay Area.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone

What years were you a Corps member? 1959 through1961 Cadets 1962 through 1966 Imperials

Drum corps AND barbeque! Now THAT's deal!

And I won't be going to any shows this summer. I'll be too busy building an ark!!!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

I'm planning on getting it all done in one visit to Allentown PA a week before finals. I think all the jr corps will be there at the two day event.

Other than that I'll be at tons of senior (all-age) shows all over the east coast throughout the summer ending in Rochester NY Labor Day weekend.

What did you do in the Corps? Brass

What years were you a Corps member? 76-83

actually, the senior & all age shows sound really great. Wish there were more nearby

A bunch of friends that I was in the Viscounts with
are all going to the Phantom Regiment Show this Friday--hope to see some of you there!!! If not see you at the McHenry show July 18th...........

Jolyne

Went to the Phantom Show last nite--ended up a stand still due to the field being soaked due to the wonderful weather. To me the Boys of Green's music
was kinda dull. The Bluecoats were pretty impressive
and also, Phantom. Going to the Madison Show this next Sunday--will see what the drills look like.

Jolyne

What did you do in the Corps? Color guard

I went to Rockford last nite (6/19) and the contest was rained out. Each corps did a stand still of their 2009 program, while not in uniform. At the end of the night, I realized that, for me, the visual and pagentry parts of the show compose 60% of the enjoyment. Hello to everyone. Bill

What did you do in the Corps? fan

What years were you a Corps member? never

I Will be in town June 28 to July 6 anything going on what shows are available not too faraway already driving from Atl. and I don't like driving anymore, also I will be on a motorcycle for any non-family event and Drum corp is a non-family event.
let me know
thanks
Greg

What did you do in the Corps? drumline

What years were you a Corps member? 73, instruct 74,75

We're going to McHenry Saturday night. Anyone else?

What did you do in the Corps? Chaperone, nurse, cook, bottle washer

What years were you a Corps member? 1973-1979

I'll be there to meet my new friends Jim & Diane!!
Looking forward to it! See you there............

Jolyne

P.S. I have also been invited to march with the
RA in McHenry's parade on Sunday.

We plan to attend also. Our first time to this type of show. Is it held on the outdoor field or inside like the "old standstill" type of show?

What did you do in the Corps? bass drummer

What years were you a Corps member? '57-'62