Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Another drum corps legend passes away

From the DCA website: Monsignor Wojtycha Passes

We have been informed of the passing of Msgr. Wojtycha. The Monsignor and DCA's Mickey Petrone were two of the true pioneers of our activity. We received the following from DCA Chaplain, Father Jim Reilly.

It is my sad duty to announce the death of Msgr. Wojtycha last Tuesday in Florida. Msgr. Wojtycha was the oldest living priest of the Archdiocese of Newark, and the founder and long time moderator of the St. Vincent Cadets, Bayonne, NJ. He created and began the NATIONAL DREAM contest, held for many years at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City. He was also a member of the World Drum Corps and DCI Hall of fame, and a true Drum Corps giant!

His funeral will be on Monday, June 15th at 11am, at St.Vincent's Church, in Bayonne, New Jersey. The O' Brien funeral home in Bayonne is handling the arrangements.

------------------------

Many Imperials will remember the name .. Father Wojtycha was a well known and respected leader in the drum corps activity in the 50s and 60s. There could be some Cavaliers who dispute that! :)

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Re: Another drum corps legend passes away

Wow - even I remember that name. I'm surprised to hear he was still alive. Anyone know how old he was?

And I think the Cavaliers' beef was with the members more than the management of St. Vinnies (apparently they were quite the ruffians - a tradition later continued by the Bridgemen in that same city). The only negative I remember hearing about him (remember, the corps was gone by this time), was that they remember him just watching the fight in 57 and doing nothing to stop it until the police arrived.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Bob:

1. I think he about 86 years old.
2. You can go to the website for St. Vincent's church for some interesting corps history: www.stvincentchurch.net
3. YES, the corps WAS tough. If the members didn't have the corps, they'd have had a GANG.

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

I think that was kind of common, especially on the East Coast, in those days. I'm sure lots of people stayed out of trouble by joining a drum corps. Another advantage to the "old" days. I doubt drum corps helps as many kids anymore.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79