Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Drum Corps Champions?

Bob Shreffler recently posted a great thought about the impact of DCI:

" Carolina Crown defeated both the Cavaliers and Phantom Regiment last night. I don't think they've ever beaten either of those corps, let alone both! Could we FINALLY have a new winner come August? And when's the last time a corps won DCI that hadn't won before - I'm thinking Star of Indiana in 1991.

That's something we haven't talked about before concerning DCI. Not only did it kill the small, local corps - it reduced the pool of potential champions to three or four corps, over and over. "
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

A great point. The champions are always the same: Blue Devils, Cavaliers or Cadets. Maybe Phantom or Santa Clara.

Gosh, do you think it could be that way because there are only 12 top level DCI corps .. and another 12 or so at the next level?

The days of having HUNDREDS of drum corps in the country are GONE!!!

What years were you a Corps member? 1968-63

Re: Drum Corps Champions?

After what I saw tonight at Leland Stanford Junior University, I don't think so. Blue Devils haven't had a show like this years in a while. Scored an 80.85. First Place in every caption. Vanguard was about 2.4 points behind.

Actually this was the first show I've been to since 1976 where six corps had powerful hornlines--Blue Devils, Santa Clara, Bluecoats, Blue Knights, Troopers and even the Mandarins. I've never seen the Mandarins field such a strong corps. Everyone of them had a little more "park and blow" than I've seen in a while. Santa Clara even does a company front to the stands at the end (was hoping they'd finish with Bottle Dance but it didn't happen). Bluecoats use 16 Contras and get a really rich deep sound. The Blue Devils have 72 horns.

From what I saw and looking at the scores, I'd say that Santa Clara and the Bluecoats are still in the mix. Of course it all depends on how they clean their shows.

When I saw the Stanford contest in 2007, only the Blue Devils, Bluecoats and Garfield (or whatever they call themselves) had brasslines with a big sound. Tonight all of them reminded me of the 1980 Spirit of Atlanta, Blue Devils and Madison brass lines.

I'll also say that the Blue Devils and Santa Clara B corps look pretty good. The Blue Devils B corps marches 66 horns. Both were as good as the "other corps" I saw at Stanford in 2007 which included the Santa Clara Vanguard A corps. Both organizations look at their B corps as community corps. They are made up of local high school kids and the Blue Devils have a C corps which is mostly kids of grammar school age. I didn't talk to anyone from these organizations but seems to me that since the A corps are college kids from everywhere, the B corps (and C corps) are a way of keeping some community roots.

Biggest disappointment were the San Francisco Renegades Senior corps. They are much smaller (only about 45 horns), don't seem very polished and no longer "play loud music." Expect that they've had some organizational issues. This year's version might have a hard time at DCA--if they go.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone

What years were you a Corps member? 1959-1961 Cadets 1962-1966 Imperials

Thanks for the report John! Looks like there is a ray of hope after all.

What years were you a Corps member? 1968-63

I think that, because touring wasn't as extensive, corps weren't as big, and equipment wasn't as massive (one flag each was plenty), the cost of maintaining a corps was much lower "back in the day." Yes, everyone still had money problems, but I don't think money was anywhere near the issue it is today. Therefore, scores were based more on talent and performance, and all corps had more of a chance. You could have a really great year and have a chance of winning a title. Obviously the better the organization, the longer you could stay at or near the top, as in anything else. But I think the one-hit wonders/dark horses had more of a chance each year in those days.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

nice to see another power entering the season. to win in ill. they must have been good

What did you do in the Corps? everything from cymbals to french horn

What years were you a Corps member? who can remember that far back, 69 was the last year i marched

I went to Madison's Scouts show last week--and I'm
thinking Madison might be in the mix also--they were
great!

Hello to the guy who made the posting before me!

Jolyne

What did you do in the Corps? Color Guard

What years were you a Corps member? 69 & 70

Not based on recent scores...ouch!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

hello to u

Even though I have to give the Cavaliers credit for
what they have accomplished all these years and are