Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
2009 Predictions?

I haven't seen any of the corps, but have seen some Forum reviews. There seem to be a few really GOOD corps out there. (At least, some great musical programs).

Recent scores I have seen:

Carolina Crown 85.1
Blue Devils 83.9
Holy Name Cadets 82.8
Blue Coats 82.8
Santa Clara 81.7
Phantom Regiment 80.0
Cavaliers 79.5
Blue Coats 76.5
Blue Stars 76.4
Boston Crusaders 74.0
Spirit 73.0
Madison 72.8

'Course, it is just the July 4th weeke4nd. Things could change a lot yet!!

Any predictions for the end result at Indianapolis??

Re: 2009 Predictions?

In the spirit of good sportsmanship, may the best BAND win...And nobody trip over that extension cord...

What did you do in the Corps? Drum

What years were you a Corps member? 61-69

John,

Now THAT'S funny!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Yes, John T always had a quick wit! Perceptive, too.

When I listen to these two links I hear a drum corps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAesjWPM7dQ&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Efacebook%2Ecom%2Fhome%2Ephp%3F&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9NrzABHaeg

But then again when they are doing their moving around it is very different. But I really only care about the sound and this sounds like one of the old 60 corps and or early DCI corps on steroids and with a lot more talent.

John A - had to check out the links. While there listened to Carolina Crown. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3RPzZm2QbQ&feature=related Since I usually don't "watch" the show (Yeah, I know I missing the best part or the best 2/3 of the show) I started reading the comments - there are 3 pages. Take a quick look at them - amplification has truly struck a chord. It's politics all over again - the Libs vs. the Conservatives - with a few independents thrown in for good measure. Oh yeah, back to the music. I guess I'm sorry that I don't remember what anybody played. No melodies that I could retain. BUT that didn't stop me from listening. BD, Crown, Garfield, Cavies - all good from what you can tell from the recordings.

What did you do in the Corps? Drum, Drum, and Drum

What years were you a Corps member? 61-69

From what I heard during the Santa Clara, Blue Devils and Bluecoats shows the amplification is only for the pit junk and although that is a nice touch it is overpowered by the brass and marching drums. Adds a little during a few seconds of dance but generally I didn't hear when they are playing music.

Also, the soloists I heard don't need to be amplified. You can get a sense of that in the pre-show concert Utube.

What is more interesting is the Blue Devils use of folding chairs as a gimick in their show.

Seems as though the Blue Devils are "in the lead" for this year. John - explain the folding chairs thing.

When the corps is getting setup, every brass player comes out with a white folding chair. They file in and set up the chairs in neat rows just to the right of center of the field (really sick how I remember that detail). Looks like they are setting up for a meeting. The brass players then go to their starting positions on the left end zone and back left corner of the field. That is all but three horn players who are busy making sure the chairs are lined up--look like janitors making sure everything is right. When the drum major waves his arms one of the sopranos (trumpets) stands up on a chair and plays a muted jazz solo to start the show (this kid actually looks like Blomquist 40 some years ago only taller). The other two have solos later. They also stand up on a chair when it's their turn to play.

So as the corps moves around they get in files between the chairs--with that space filled it looks like they are twice the size. Then at some point later in their jazz opener the brass line sits down for a few measures like a dance band from the 1930s.

The chairs stay on the field and the dancers use them. I think that at some point in the show the chairs get moved to the sideline but I wasn't paying attention--too engrossed in the music.

Anyway there are some shots on You Tube or UTube that show this. Although I was at Leland Stanford Junior Univeristy I swear I wasn't taking any drugs or inhaling second hand smoke. The bit with the chairs seemed effective to me--the 76 or so chairs took up space on the field and made the corps look even larger than it is.

I suppose that guy from Garfield, Holy Name or whatever they call themselves next year with copy this in some fashion for the 2010 program. In my view it is clever and should only be used once.

Blue Devils - probability 90%
Cavaliers - probability 5%
Holy Name - probability 5%

I'd probably make that 85% Devs, 10% Holy Name (because of the anniversary thing), and 5% Cavaliers. But the gap between Devs and everyone else is opening up. The real battle looks to be second through fifth, with Cavaliers, Holy Name, Carolina Crown, and Santa Clara all pretty close.

And I still predict the biggest crowd reaction of the night - maybe of the decade - will be when Troopers do their sunburst at finals for the first time in 24 years.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arrnager

Maybe the Troopers guard could change in to MAROON uniforms, or carry maroon flags, during the sunburst?

OK, I have been following the scoring and trends for the entire summer and have come up with this as my predictions. BTW, I was 95% correct last year. LOL Good guessing huh?

My Picks this year

1. Blue Devils
2. Cadets (75th Anniversary gift from DCI)
3. Santa Clara Vanguard (they have made changes and comin on like gangbusters)
4. Cavaliers (2nd now but are maxed out with their show)
5. Carolina Crown (stagnating)
6. Phantom Regiment (rewrote a significant portion of show, picking up steam, but too late to be in the hunt)
7. Blue Coats (they peaked early)
8. Boston (they also peaked early)
9. Blue Star (they are a couple years and a couple top staff away from the top 5)
10. Glassmen (ZZzzzzz)
11. Blue Knights slightly ahead or a charging....
12 Troopers

OK, that's my picks for what they are worth. Don't start chopping until you look at the trends and who are strong finishers. Those that could be slightly higher if they make more changes and a major push: Phantom, Blue Coats, Carolina. Dark Horses for the championship: Cadets, Cavies (if they get a horn line) Santa Clara. Don't count SC out! But....I think this is Devil's year because they probably should have won last year too. BD will finish undefeated.

What did you do in the Corps? Brass Instructor, Arranger and Corps manager in 81

What years were you a Corps member? 1979-1982

Jerry's analysis is great .. fun humor too!

And, he reminds us all of a great point ... always remember that some corps are GREAT FINISHERS!

The Blue Devils seem to be keeping a constant margin of at least 1.5 points over what ever corps finishes second.

I believe the Blue Devils have a 40th anniversary this year. So I don't quite get the Cadets deal.

As I said after the Stanford contest, I wouldn't be surprised if the Vanguard make it into second place. I guess there is about two weeks until the final DCI contests.

John, I have to agree about the BD and about Santa Clara's (past) ability to finish strong.!

Cadets and their anniversary are (perhaps) a factor. Seems that this has been a factor with DCI in the past.

Go figure

You have to pick the Blue Devils to finish number
one.From second on down that's where it will be
interesting.Just look at the year that BD is having
now.I don't think it's going to be any different at
DCI Finals.It does seem like they(BD)make the
necessary improvements to stay ahead of everyone
else,like John said in one of his replys.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? !957 thru 1963

And last night Holy Name beat the Cavaliers for the first time this season (Carolina wasn't there). This upcoming week looks VERY interesting. But I think you're right - Devs look to be too far ahead to be caught now (they don't want a repeat of last year). I'm mostly interested to see where Santa Clara ends up.

All the other corps are improving but the Blue Devils still keep a margin of about 1.5 points over whoever is in second place. So as Rich says it will be a dog fight between Cavaliers, Cadets, Vanguard and Crown to see who comes in second.

I recollect seeing that the Bluecoats have scored in the low 90s as well but Phantom Regiment hasn't reached 90.

We'll soon find out!

John's comment points out the difference in the new "tick-less" judging system. You'll have to go down to the seventh or eighth place corps now to NOT have a 90. I marched 11 years, placed as high as third, and NEVER had a 90 (missed it by a couple of tenths in 1980).

I saw everyone this past weekend in Allentown PA. Many good shows. I would have to say I really like a lot of the corps both nights. A lot of talent! and I noticed how much less everyone is using any type of speaking or singing on the microphones like what was all the rage a couple years ago. They are getting back to the important thing... music! Pits are amplified and it is noticeable, not sure how I feel about it. While it makes that sound come thru and it can add to what they're trying to accomplish music-wise it almost seems like cheating to me.

My predictions are...

1. Blue Devils - a great horn line! they're technically the best. Doesn't grab it for my GE fix, ending seemed a little flat. One of my favorite guards.

2. Carolina Crown - Have really stepped up the last few weeks since I last saw them. If they are on, they will take 2nd and maybe even a 1st if BD does a crap show (highly unlikely). Every section is really good. They remind me of a new Star of Indiana.

3. Cadets - The most I've liked them in years, they finally went back to doing drum corps and not indoor guard shows. A lot of talent, I'm sure they could be higher if they do it all out, but don't think they'll get past 2nd.

4. Vanguard - My favorite of the whole weekend! They have style, class, and precision always, but this year they have stepped up and have a great sound and visual package too. It's a salute to Martha Graham, Appalachian Springs. They have a beautiful horn sound and a company front towards the end that gets people's butts out of their seats!!

5. Cavaliers - While they had a nice show, they're good, I really wasn't overly impressed with their marching skills. Usually every year they are flawless or close to it when it comes to drill execution. Not so much this year. Now maybe they just had an off night, but I think SCV is so much better than them. They had a bunch of nice ideas along the mountain climbing theme in the guard I appreciated. I haven't been a big fan of their hornline in ages, and now is no different.

6. Bluecoats - Loved their show. Very entertaining. Good drumline & brass.

7. Phantom - Good show, but they just don't have it this year like last year. They're lacking a little in every section to be farther up than this. Boston may even be able to edge them out.

8. Boston - This year I really liked their show, they kick it off with Bacchanale. Good show, plenty of energy.

9. Blue Stars - A nice story line. Well put together show. Good talent level through out the corps. Liked their sewing machines in their factory setting (I sew uniforms as a 2nd job, so I appreciated it )

10. Blue Knights - I didn't see them so this is a guess. I went to get a funnel cake during their performance. I usually find their shows to be a little yawn, so that's why I went then.

11. Glassmen - I thought they sounded nice, but I would go get a hot dog if I had to see them again this year. boring.

12. Troopers - They did a little bit of west side story, but with a western flair. I liked it, and it's always good to see the Troopers in finals!!!

What did you do in the Corps? brass

What years were you a Corps member? 76-83

Mary, thanks for the great report! It was interesting. I hope that ALL Imperials alumni who attend DCI will give us a report with their observations!
It sounds like the Glassmen are REALLY boring!

Glassmen have been boring for years.

Interesting how SCV - with Jeff Fiedler leading - are making a return to prominence.

It all starts tonight with quarters. Anyone going to the theater, please give a report!

My impressions is that Santa Clara has cleaned house in terms of their staff.

When I saw them I was impressed and expected they'd finish in the top 5 or maybe as high as second. Based on the scores coming into this week they have been improving and seem like they will make the top 5 but not enough to be on the Blue Devils heels.

I did like their company front towards the stands at the end of their show and half expected them to finish with the "Bottle Dance" routine.

I expect Mary's predictions will be close.

Gosh, maybe we should have been placing BETS on this .. and raising some funds for the alumni site?

Oops .. that is probably illegal!

Quarter finals didn't offer many surprises, but there's still room for movement. Devs seem pretty secure in first (almost two points up), but 2nd/3rd are too close to call, and SCV could still pull an upset over the Cavaliers. Phantom is a full two points out of sixth, which will assure them a tie for the longest drop from a championship year in DCI (Madison 88-89). And Troopers look to have secured the finals!

I still put Cadets over Crown, because of the anniversary - quarters may have been Crown's reward for a great season. And SCV I believe will pass the Cavaliers - which will make all of you happy...

Who is the Jersey Surf?Noticed in the list of
scores on the Cavalier Web-site,they beat the
Cavaliers,taking first.

I want to correct an error in my last post
Jersey Surf too second place to Carolina Crown,
and the Cavaliers took third,who are they?

Jersey Surf has never beaten the Cavaliers - not even close. Where did you see this?

A DOUBLE win for the Blue Devils organization in 2009?

The Blue Devils B corps won the Open Class DCI championship today. IF the Blue Devils win the World Class championship ... wow, TWO wins for their organization. Quite an accomplishment.

Bob I looked at the scores again from the contest in
West Chester Pa.and I realized I made another error
in my reading,it was Jersey Surf and Carolina Crown
tied for first and the Cavaliers in second place.

If you look on the Cavaliers web-site you can see all
the scores from each contest they were in during
their summer tour.

Well, Rich is correct ... The Cavaliers website DOES list the Jersey Surf tied with Carolina at the Westchester show. BUT, that is wrong.
Jersey Surf wfas actually in 6th place.