Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
tile: "I've Never Been Prouder" from cavaliers.org, main forum...

Posted by: Bob Inch (Former Marching Member)
Monday, July 06, 2009 - 11:45 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've been a part of the Cavalier organization for the better part of 35 years now, and I've never been prouder of this corps than I was last night. A young man, Eric, from Michigan City, who apparently has Downes Syndrome, wanted to meet his idol, the Cavaliers. Bruno graciously introduced Eric to the corps. These young men warmly greeted him, shook his hand, thanked him for being their #1 fan, took pictures with him and gave him a pair of snare sticks. One Cavalier, Gabriel, is even going to send Eric his Championship Series DVD, who he says is just "collecting dust" at home. We all too often hear about the bad things kids today are doing, but in this corps and in this activity, this kind of thing happens all the time. Last night I was just lucky enough to witness it firsthand. We should all be proud of our corps and the young men wearing the green. These you men are not only taught the finer points of music and marching by the activity's BEST instructors, they are also given lessons on life and character, which extend well beyond their marching years.
It's not all about volume, or the scores, or what the other corps are up to...it also about what you do when the show is over.

We ARE the corps...

Bob Inch
FMM 73-77, CAC888

Re: tile: "I've Never Been Prouder" from cavaliers.org, main forum...

Reading the various replies to his posting, on the Cavies main forum, is worth the time. Interesting.

I marched with Bob Inch in 1976 (he played timpani). A good guy.

And this is not an isolated incident from the Cavaliers, despite how most of you feel about them. We used to have our Mother's Day camp in Momence at a home for retarded young men (I know that term isn't PC anymore, but it was at the time). They would watch us rehearse all weekend, play basketball with us in the evenings, and use sticks to pretend they were drumming or using flags. We would treat them to view a performance of the show at the end of the weekend, and gave all of them Cavalier t-shirts.

But drum corps in general have always been generous to the public that supports them. In the old days, many shows were for charity organizations (Big V in Wisconsin, Danny Thomas Invitational in the East, etc.).

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Yes, even Cavaliers have a heart!

BTW, the Imperials did the same exhibitions and visits with the
"retarded" kids.

We marched for the Special Olympics with Norwood's Cadets one year (I think 71). And of course, the A corps performed at the Shrine Circus for several years as a thank you for the help after the bus accident (which is not to imply that the Shriners are retarded, by the way - it just fit in with the charity theme).

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79